I rooted my Note 3 on KitKat without tripping Knox, also got voice recording working

Search This thread

undeclaredx

Apr 10, 2014
I just wanted to share that I was able to do it, and without tripping knox.

It was either a miracle, I have a special phone, I have no idea.

What I did:

- Entered ODIN mode
- Flashed CWM recovery for Note 3 (for my exact phone model, Samsung N900W8, it's a Canadian One) -- GENUINELY thought I'd trip Knox, but CF auto root was not working, so this was my option.

This somehow did not trip Knox at all, then all I had to troubleshoot a bit. I tried a few older versions of the SuperSU for CWM package, none of them worked... then finally I found out that these were old versions, I downloaded the 1.89 superSU package for CWM/TWRP, and now I am officially rooted.

Once I booted in, I had to load SuperSu which then said "Do you want to disable KNOX to get root working?" or something to that extent.. At my own risk I did that, still didn't trip the KNOX counter.

Booted up, works, able to use root on a lot of different apps.

I have no idea if it's a miracle it did not trip Knox, if I have a magic phone, etc.. but I thought I'd share.

This is root, not a custom kernel or anything.

Second bit: I was able to get call recording with Call Recorder working as long as I used to CAF (root required) option. No other option worked, not kernel, not with installed Alsa, etc..

If anyone wants any more specific information about my phone, I will gladly share. All I know is knox 0x0 with root is pretty sweet.

swnt

Jun 7, 2010
Was this the first time you rooted your N3? or did it have root on a lower android version?

xinfinityoO

May 14, 2011
Wellington
N900w8 can be rooted witout triping knox..its already known. ..problem is with n9005 models

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Mulletmeister

Feb 24, 2014
Eastbourne
N900w8 can be rooted witout triping knox..its already known. ..problem is with n9005 models

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Why don't people include the model number in the title?? As mentioned above, this is known about.

Any chance we can have the forum search button a bit BIGGER so people know where it is!!

I'm fed up with having my hopes raised and then slashed to nothing:mad:

Last edited:

sevensaints

Jul 28, 2007
aarghhh...
just woke up tp read this.

now have to go back to sleep again.

p.s. please wake me up when there is one.