[Q] Rooted before, did OTA update, want to reroot

Search This thread

fruitpunch36

Oct 3, 2010
Hello all,

I did a root on my N7 WiFi back on 4.3 using the Nexus Root Toolkit and everything worked fine, but I did all the OTA updated after that up to 4.4.2 (KOT49H). Now here's my issue, I want to re-root, but I'm afraid of there being conflicts due to the SuperSU app on the device.

I can launch SuperSU but it gives me an error saying "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!". The bootloader on the device is still unlocked (shows a lock on the boot screen), but I'm not sure how to go about rooting it without causing issues.

Any thoughts? Should I be ok?

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
Do you have a custom recovery such as TWRP installed? You should be able to flash SuoerSU or possibly repair it within the recovery itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

juliatan

Nov 6, 2012
You'll have to reflash SuperSu with latest TWRP. If you want to keep stock bootloader and recovery use command 'boot' instead of 'flash twrp.img'.You then can temperarily load and use Twrp and flash latest SuperSu while not flashing Twrp permanently over stock recovery.

(Edit: this is when using adb and not some toolkit. 99% of devices being bricked after unlocking, rooting, etc. is when using some toollkit. )

If you want root to survive OTA updates you'll have to buy SuperSu Pro licence in Play Store for feature 'Ota Survival Mode' to work. I did that and root survived Ota updates 4.3.1=>4.4=>4.4.2. Very happy about that. But reflashing SuperSu is not a big deal.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 (2013) met Tapatalk

Last edited:
question

so lemme get this straight, since i just got this and i don't wanna mess any thing up, i'm already unlocked and rooted on my new n7 2013 model, it's still on the stock rom, if i get the supersu app that u spoke of out of the play store, and enable root saver i can then go ahead and proceed to click the little notification that says system update, and then proceed to let it run it's course, will i lose the unlocked bootloader, i'm only askign because i never played to much with tablets i was more of a phone guy any help or a little more explination on this matter would be greatly appreciated, information for my tablets is the following,
Nexus 7 2013 model
android version 4.3
build # JWR66N it's a wifi only model as well if that matters

juliatan

Nov 6, 2012
so lemme get this straight, since i just got this and i don't wanna mess any thing up, i'm already unlocked and rooted on my new n7 2013 model, it's still on the stock rom, if i get the supersu app that u spoke of out of the play store, and enable root saver i can then go ahead and proceed to click the little notification that says system update, and then proceed to let it run it's course, will i lose the unlocked bootloader, i'm only askign because i never played to much with tablets i was more of a phone guy any help or a little more explination on this matter would be greatly appreciated, information for my tablets is the following,
Nexus 7 2013 model
android version 4.3
build # JWR66N it's a wifi only model as well if that matters

Only way for device's bootloader to get locked again is when you do that manually. That will never get re-locked otherwise. (Perhaps only when reflashing original stock bootloader, but don't know that).

With SuperSu Pro licence with option OTA Survival Mode after OTA you don't need to reflash to get root back in most cases/devices. But always first check if SuperSu is updated yet after new OTA before applying the update. Developper of SuperSu is always very fast with needed updates.

I read OTA Survival Mode had some problems maintainng root after OTA 4.2.2=> 4.3. I only experienced OTA's 4.3=>4.4=>4.4.2. All times still root after OTA-updates.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 (2013) met Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Just in case I have this text file in my Nexus 7 (2013)-folder on my PC.....

Worst case scenario, have to (re-)root manually with keeping original bootloader and recovery:

1. Copy the zipfile(s) you want to flash with TWRP to internal SD of Nexus. (For example latest SuperSU download:http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip )

2. On PC download and extract to folder latest Android SDK. Go to folder 'Platform' or Platform Tools. (Folder including adb, fastboot, etc.). ( Android SDK download: https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html )

3. Download and extract latest TWRP(.img) for Nexus 7 Flo and copy to folder Platform/Platform Tools (with adb, fastboot, etc. in it) You might want to give 'recovery-twrp.img' a shorter name. (TWRP download: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/flo )

4. In the folder with the platform tools while pressing <SHIFT> on keyboard, click right mousebutton somewhere in folder and click with left mousebutton on 'Open Command Window Here'.

5. On Nexus switch on 'USB Debugging' in system settings-> developper options. Shut down Nexus.

6. Connect Nexus with Usb-cable to PC. Start the device untill untill Nexus 7 folder opens on PC.

7. In earlier started Command Window type 'adb devices'and push <ENTER> on keyboard. If all is well you will now see that Nexus is connected in Command Window. (If says device offline that means missing/incorrect hardwaredrivers or USB-cable broken/not connected)

8. On the Nexus appears the messagge 'Allow Usb Debugging'. Tap 'oké/yes' on Nexus.

9. In Command Window type 'adb reboot bootloader' and push <ENTER>

10. To load TWRP without flashing for temperary use now type in Command Window 'fastboot boot twrp.img' and push <ENTER>

Now TWRP loads and can be used without losing stock recovery

--------------------------------
Flashing with TWRP:

1. The zip(s) you want to flash must be copied to internal SD in advance. (for instance latest SuperSu.zip)
2. In TWRP tap on 'install'
3. Browse to the zip you want to flash and select by tapping on it
4. Now 'Swipe to confirm flash'
5. After reboot

Last edited: