[ROM][PORT] Ubuntu Touch 14.04 trusty - update 20140416

Search This thread

kalel420

Jul 29, 2013
CORPUS CHRISTI
I have run it a bit today from internal sd and the is a bit of unresponsiveness also when scrolling between things screen we go black till I tap it again by the way this is on v.12 but the only thing I can compare it to is Danks wip rom that I tried a bit which I believe was the developers build and nothing worked but the response time on it was pretty snappy. I also ran that on your multi boot v.2.1 from internal sd card. But this one works that's why your the man! Does the system and catch have have to be 80mb and 20mb or can we up them maybe that might help idk just thinking here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

I did and it seems to help.

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
I have run it a bit today from internal sd and the is a bit of unresponsiveness also when scrolling between things screen we go black till I tap it again by the way this is on v.12 but the only thing I can compare it to is Danks wip rom that I tried a bit which I believe was the developers build and nothing worked but the response time on it was pretty snappy. I also ran that on your multi boot v.2.1 from internal sd card. But this one works that's why your the man! Does the system and catch have have to be 80mb and 20mb or can we up them maybe that might help idk just thinking here.

Ubuntu Touch requires the minimum of 2560MB to be used as an actual system. The system is probably at the minimum, and I'm just guessing it is probably the down right minimum for things such as rootfs. The cache is at 20mb because of in case of the max cache size. I might be wrong however, and probably am. I'd just wait until the dev replies.
You could probably increase it if you really wanted to, but it may not benefit you.

Hi, maybe I don't have same perception/feelings about responsiveness than you. But you are surely right and agree that some apps take time to launch. If you can share some video, I could compare. If I have time this we, I can also do one and you will tell me if you get exactly same.

About cache, there is no link at all. cache partition is not used by unbuntu, that's why we create a small one, just for multiboot compatibility.
Last point, this version is still beta on ubuntu site, maybe official stable version will improve a little bit ( and fix some bugs ).

[EDIT] Forgot to mention, I removed d2lte version and added a download link for each model : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=13392

Philippe,

Last edited:

saranhai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 5, 2011
Nowhere
Looks very promising indeed, just a question, how long is first boot supposed to take?

-Saranhai

kalel420

Jul 29, 2013
CORPUS CHRISTI
I used it some last night when I got off work. When I tried to boot with charger plugged in it would not boot went back to internal rom. I unplug the charger then booted again and it came on also I was using the terminal app and it was very sluggish with the keyboard also does anybody know the root password that's just some of my feedback I have so far then I went to bed. thanks to the OP

Reactions: Phil_Suz

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
I used it some last night when I got off work. When I tried to boot with charger plugged in it would not boot went back to internal rom. I unplug the charger then booted again and it came on also I was using the terminal app and it was very sluggish with the keyboard also does anybody know the root password that's just some of my feedback I have so far then I went to bed. thanks to the OP

Please look at the post
I made in this thread. I tell you the root password.

Reactions: Phil_Suz

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
Was there issues with having a d2lte build of Ubuntu Touch?

d2lte seemed to work only on our device (d2att) for cell gsm/data. That's why I build specific version for each devices.
It seems that it solved cell problems but v0.13 introduce one issue (no audio during phone calls).
Here is a patch to fix this issue : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407584604

Important : When installing the patch, dont't forget to do "multiboot" -> "set rom" -> "your unbuntu rom" before installing patch.

Philippe,

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
d2lte seemed to work only on our device (d2att) for cell gsm/data. That's why I build specific version for each devices.
It seems that it solved cell problems but v0.13 introduce one issue (no audio during phone calls).
Here is a patch to fix this issue : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407584604

Important : When installing the patch, dont't forget to do "multiboot" -> "set rom" -> "your unbuntu rom" before installing patch.

Philippe,

That's weird how you built a ROM for d2lte, yet the data doesn't work properly.

~~~~

I have had the most recent build of Ubuntu Touch that you ported. Unfortunately I was unable to actually install it without an Android OS on my phone. I had some high expectations running this as my daily driver, but there's some issues that still sort of bug me. One would be the battery being stuck at the 0% while charging. Another issue that has seemed to not work is the actual brightness settings either. Other than that this ROM has been perfect for me so far. By chance, will be seeing an update possibly this week? If not then I completely understand.

Thanks again for cherishing the community with your feedback. I may PM you about something soon in regards towards your thread.

underscorenorm

Mar 20, 2013
Indianapolis
So I flashed d2att-twrp2.7-mb-v2.0.zip, followed the video and created the rom, took about 5 mins on my external SD. Flashed trusty-preinstalled-touch-d2att-v0.13.zip, again 5 mins or so. A bit longer than rom creation. Booted to ROM and now I'm sitting at a black screen. Should I have to wait longer than 15 minutes or is it safe to say I'm having an issue?

Edit: When I plug my phone into my computer, windows detects "Android ADB Interface" So the device is still functioning, I just have no display.
2nd Edit: I am using an SGH-i747 with a 16 gig SD card on Tmobile.

Last edited:

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
So I flashed d2att-twrp2.7-mb-v2.0.zip, followed the video and created the rom, took about 5 mins on my external SD. Flashed trusty-preinstalled-touch-d2att-v0.13.zip, again 5 mins or so. A bit longer than rom creation. Booted to ROM and now I'm sitting at a black screen. Should I have to wait longer than 15 minutes or is it safe to say I'm having an issue?

Edit: When I plug my phone into my computer, windows detects "Android ADB Interface" So the device is still functioning, I just have no display.

People have been having issues installing it on the external. It could be possible it was never fully installed. Typically, the external install is a bit of a longer process. May I ask, have you tried installing it internally?

Reactions: underscorenorm

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
That's weird how you built a ROM for d2lte, yet the data doesn't work properly.

~~~~

I have had the most recent build of Ubuntu Touch that you ported. Unfortunately I was unable to actually install it without an Android OS on my phone. I had some high expectations running this as my daily driver, but there's some issues that still sort of bug me. One would be the battery being stuck at the 0% while charging. Another issue that has seemed to not work is the actual brightness settings either. Other than that this ROM has been perfect for me so far. By chance, will be seeing an update possibly this week? If not then I completely understand.

Thanks again for cherishing the community with your feedback. I may PM you about something soon in regards towards your thread.

Hi codemonkey98. It is not so easy to fix these 2 points and, with work during week, I don't have a lot of time. About the battery, it seems to append only when plugged in. If you unplug you can get the real value. Also when plugged in, the battery seems to be charging despite this 0%. For the second point, I don't know why the slider does not work. I have to dive into ubuntu code...
Manually, I can change brightness in 2 ways ( from sys and from ubuntu/powerd ) so we could also write a program for a fallback solution...
Maybe a question in ubuntu dev chat/forum could be efficient also.

Hi underscorenorm, are you sure you flashed "d2att-twrp2.7-mb-v2.0.zip" ? you will need at least v2.11 of multi boot to be able to start ubuntu. If you have tmobile device, please install this one : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407583332

Last edited:

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
Hi codemonkey98. It is not so easy to fix these 2 points and, with work during week, I don't have a lot of time. About the battery, it seems to append only when plugged in. If you unplug you can get the real value. Also when plugged in, the battery seems to be charging despite this 0%. For the second point, I don't know why the slider does not work. I have to dive into ubuntu code...
Manually, I can change brightness in 2 ways ( from sys and from ubuntu/powerd ) so we could also write a program for a fallback solution...
Maybe a question in ubuntu dev chat/forum could be efficient also.

I may consider that. Honestly, let your personal life come first than this. I didn't mean to imply some sort of demand for you to fix those two issues of mine, in fact I am shocked we've gotten Ubuntu Touch on our devices this far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Reactions: danesusername

underscorenorm

Mar 20, 2013
Indianapolis
Hi underscorenorm, are you sure you flashed "d2att-twrp2.7-mb-v2.0.zip" ? you will need at least v2.11 of multi boot to be able to start ubuntu. If you have tmobile device, please install this one : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407583332

I have the ATT version, just carrier unlocked. v.211 worked for me and surprisingly it only took a couple of minutes on 1st boot. I didn't get to mess around too much as I got all setup around midnight. I did get it working from my external SD. It's a class 10 card, FWIW.

Edit: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I can't wait until this is ready for prime time. I absolutely love it.

Last edited:

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
I may consider that. Honestly, let your personal life come first than this. I didn't mean to imply some sort of demand for you to fix those two issues of mine, in fact I am shocked we've gotten Ubuntu Touch on our devices this far.

Hi codemonkey98,

The 2 sliders for backlight are now fixed. patch here : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407585207

Important : When installing the patch, dont't forget to do "multiboot" -> "set rom" -> "your ubuntu rom" before installing patch.

Philippe,

Last edited:

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
Last edited:

Phil_Suz

Dec 6, 2013
Montreal
Hi all,

Just to give some news about the porting :

• Bluetooth : now can be started. Icon appears on top menu bar. I cannot test it because it is only dedicated for bt headsets but I don't have one.
  • Gps : Interface with hardware is now OK. Command line utility (/usr/bin/test_gps) gives me good position (latitude,longitude). not working under maps app but don't know if it is already working or not on this current dev version.
  • qcow2 support is working now too. (this will open nice features like liveboot)

I'm leaving country for one month next friday, I don't know if I will have time to finish this and package new version before.

Philippe,

Last edited:

tokenpoke

Apr 3, 2011
Thanks for all the work. I'm hoping this gets good enough for daily driver. I mean, so far its fine for me other than little things like YouTube not working. GPS is a real plus.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

This is a partial port attempt of latest ubuntu touch 14.04 on our d2att (http://www.ubuntu.com/phone).
    Because this port is not fully completed, I prefered to release a multiboot version (multiboot v2.11 needed http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2684052 ).
    If you are not familiar wtih multiboot, please check how to use it before testing this rom ( or watch videos examples here : http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCefO8F4YX6qMQsqpBHTqTqQ)

When you install this ROM with multiboot, you will have to choose img format only and at least 2.5G for data parition.

Features ( tested only on my Bell carrier d2att ) :

• Graphics : OK
    • Cellular Radio : OK
    • Wireless network OK
    • Touch OK
    • Suspend/Resume OK
    • Rotation : OK
    • Phone OK
    • Audio OK
    • Boot process : ~OK
    • Camera OK (since v0.12 )
    • Battery : ~OK ( but value printed is 1/3 of the real one )
    • volumes buttons : OK
    • GPS : very partial ( position tracking only working with test_gps command line )
    • Bluetooth : unknown ( but started ) - has to be tested with a headset

All others features are not working (not yet studied nor tested)

Important recommandations to install this ROM under multiboot :

• img file only - install on external sdcard recommended
    • count ~30 mn to install an external sd ( ~15 mn to create rom and 15 mn to install rom )
    • 80M for system, 2.5G for data, 20M for cache
    • first reboot can take 2 minutes, be patient. After more than 2 minutes, press on/off button, it is possible that the phone is put in pause
    • cell can take 2 minutes to come UP.
    • sometimes boot does not work, the device reboot after timeout on main rom. Reboot to recovery and just try a second time. This happen especially if installed on internal sdcard, that's why I recommended an installation on external.
    Note : did not find a reboot option : to reboot, I press ~3s power button until screen turns off, then release button and wait first vibration. At first vibration, usual technique to jump to recovery

Download links : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=13392

New version 0.2 : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407586924

small installation example ( installation time has been cutted for 3/4 mn) :

Philippe,
    Hi all,

Just to give some news about the porting :

• Bluetooth : now can be started. Icon appears on top menu bar. I cannot test it because it is only dedicated for bt headsets but I don't have one.
    • Gps : Interface with hardware is now OK. Command line utility (/usr/bin/test_gps) gives me good position (latitude,longitude). not working under maps app but don't know if it is already working or not on this current dev version.
    • qcow2 support is working now too. (this will open nice features like liveboot)

I'm leaving country for one month next friday, I don't know if I will have time to finish this and package new version before.

Philippe,
    Unfortunately I end up being in a boot logo when I tried to install with multiboot and as a primary install.

Hi all,

Just came back to Canada.
    When free time, I will try to produce a version compatible for primary install and improve installation process to get something more stable.

Philippe,
    One would be the battery being stuck at the 0% while charging.

Hi, here is a patch to get real status and icon during charging.
    Not fully fonctionnal because fall back to 0% when fully charged but at least seems to work during charging which is most important.
    ( if 0% seen during charging, just unplung and replug usb and touch the screen one or two times )

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407585533

Philippe,
    I was able to install following The vídeo without a problem. Just hoping more functionality like buttons and more apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ubuntu Touch isn't designed for buttons unfortunately. Applications will come out whenever they're developed.

Hi codemonkey98, yes that's true.
    But since ~1 week, ubuntu team included volume buttons handling in their daily prebuild and this is really great.

By the way, version 0.2 is on progress and downloadable

changelog :

• build on latest ubuntu touch daily prebuilds ( 2014-04-16 ) :
      • volumes buttons working :good:
      • UI changes (scopes)
      • small regression with charge indicator ( multiply by 3 to get real value )
    • added an ubuntu boot splash
    • fixed gps - working only with test_gps ( not working with indicator )
    • bluetooth now started - don't know if it can discover bt headsets
    • add nbd kernel support (for future qcow2 support, a new version of multiboot will be needed)
    If you want to give it a try, it is here : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407586924

Philippe,