Flashing future official ROMs after unlock -

Search This thread

Trevor_g

Jul 6, 2008
Hey guys! My apologies if this is a redundant question, but I just wanted to be sure:

If ASUS decides to actually put out an official KitKat update for this thing eventually, would I still be able to try it out / install it normally *after* I've unlocked?

If so, what exactly would be my procedure? Will I be blocked from getting or installing the OTA, or would the process be no different?

There's been some great progress it seems on custom ROMs for this thing. I'm a bit gun shy admittedly, as running custom ROMs on previous devices led to a lot of instability. I guess I want to ensure I'll still have the option to try out a future official build if I choose. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

zabih107

Aug 11, 2012
Yes you will definitely be able to update to KitKat once released. However you won't be able to get the OTA update automatically sent to ur tab once u unlock it. But its pretty simple to get it. After Asus has pushed the ota to devices, the also upload the firmware to their website. U would simple download that and place it in the root of ur internal SD, and reboot. Tab will recognize the update, and give u notification for installing it. And u continue with that. Very simple.

And as for the Roms , the cromix ROM is by far very stable ROM. I have tried it for very long time, and has no issues at all, and the plus side is u can do a lot of customizations yet the ROM still runs faster than stock. I strongly recommend cromix ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trevor_g

Trevor_g

Jul 6, 2008
Yes you will definitely be able to update to KitKat once released. However you won't be able to get the OTA update automatically sent to ur tab once u unlock it. But its pretty simple to get it. After Asus has pushed the ota to devices, the also upload the firmware to their website. U would simple download that and place it in the root of ur internal SD, and reboot. Tab will recognize the update, and give u notification for installing it. And u continue with that. Very simple.

And as for the Roms , the cromix ROM is by far very stable ROM. I have tried it for very long time, and has no issues at all, and the plus side is u can do a lot of customizations yet the ROM still runs faster than stock. I strongly recommend cromix ROM.

Thank you! Answered my question perfectly. I think I'll pull the trigger on unlocking here soon. Cheers!

Sleeepy2

Dec 9, 2009
Toronto
This is not 100% true. The current official ROM will only flash with the stock recovery installed and not a custom one, so I would assume the same for any update.
It's not an issue to flash the stock recovery back but it will be an extra step.
Also if and when an official KitKat comes out you will more than likely have to wait until a new recovery is made that is compatible for a custom ROM after that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
This is not 100% true. The current official ROM will only flash with the stock recovery installed and not a custom one, so I would assume the same for any update.
It's not an issue to flash the stock recovery back but it will be an extra step.
Also if and when an official KitKat comes out you will more than likely have to wait until a new recovery is made that is compatible for a custom ROM after that.

And this is very likely 100% true.
I never understand why people are pining for the stock rom - no matter which version or update....
I would feel helpless and lost with only the stock recovery! Lately I've been trying to help several people on stock firmware with corrupted data, no custom recovery, no root, locked bootloader.... You're toast!
All you can do is send it in to Asus and pay a bundle! Whereas unlocked you just fire up fastboot or custom recovery and start to fix it!
Besides - once Asus releases a KK version for this tablet you can bet your.... house ;) that sbdags will have a custom version of it out in no time. And it's going to be better than Asus firmware, receive frequent updates, can be flashed with a custom recovery....
A no-brainer IMHO

Sleeepy2

Dec 9, 2009
Toronto
And this is very likely 100% true.
I never understand why people are pining for the stock rom - no matter which version or update....
I would feel helpless and lost with only the stock recovery! Lately I've been trying to help several people on stock firmware with corrupted data, no custom recovery, no root, locked bootloader.... You're toast!
All you can do is send it in to Asus and pay a bundle! Whereas unlocked you just fire up fastboot or custom recovery and start to fix it!
Besides - once Asus releases a KK version for this tablet you can bet your.... house ;) that sbdags will have a custom version of it out in no time. And it's going to be better than Asus firmware, receive frequent updates, can be flashed with a custom recovery....
A no-brainer IMHO

I'll agree with that 100% ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.