Potential Xperia Z1 touch screen fix (please test)

• Thread starter Deleted member 5204328
  • Start date

What is the result of the fix, using either the app or the manual method?

• Problem is gone completely. Not placebo.

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Touch screen seems better than before.

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • It did nothing to help.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Made things worse.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Never had a touch screen issue.

Votes: 21 38.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

shoonari

Apr 7, 2006
seems better, but after several runs in asphalt8 i got this issue back.
suppose connected to heating of device

D

Deleted member 5204328

In my case I had very huge improvement from upgrading to .136. I can say, for my was software related and it was gone, but after installing Pre.Rooted FTF which is different Base from the original it looks like sometime the touch screen skips some touch.

Then I am here to see if this work. I did and I will let you know.

@D395267

Can I ask you if this process have to be repeat? I mean it fix, calibrate the Touch permanently?

You may have to repeat the process if the calibration isn't accurate. There is no permanent fix to the problem at the moment :( The number of times you have to do it is completely random however, since each boot will yield different results.
I bet that the problem lies in the kernel!

Good luck!

MohammadAG

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
No offense to anyone involved, but nothing you're experiencing in this thread isn't placebo.

Calibration.ini does not trigger anything, I'm not sure where that was perceived from, if anything, the fact it's an ini file would be the first giveaway, it's barely used outside of Windows, there are no references to the file in any libs, apps, or the kernel.

The APK in the first thread is specific to a certain touchscreen panel (IT7260), it does a firmware upgrade for it, your panels are all Synaptics' Clearpad, the APK does nothing for that.

The Z1 touchscreen issue is physical, keeping the screen wiped minimises issues, if you have a scratched screen protector (or one with stuff under it), replace it, if not, try and use warranty to replace the screen.

Vaith

Feb 15, 2011
@MohammadAG, I replaced my screen via varranty and problem is gone. This issue can't be fixed via software.

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka

guy4

Jan 20, 2014
Which is exactly what I said, this thread's "fixes" do nothing on the Z1.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Hello. Do you think it is worth to try and Send this phone directly to Sony for screen replacement? I have this (terrible) problem and I was refused my rights for replacement. The retailer that sold me this phone faked documentation and made it look like this device has absolutely no problems. I tried contacting the agency that protects customers in this country. They did nothing and told me 'it's all good on the retailer side'. I got scammed, so to speak, by both the retailer and my own government.

So, what exactly can be done now to fix this issue? I paid close to 600 euro for this phone and its most important thing - the display - is broken. The retailer gave me the finger, the agencies gave me the finger, and what if Sony gives me the finger? They can just send me the device back and say 'no problem was found', exactly like the retailer did. I am not sure what to do. Most of all, I want to destroy this phone and never see it again, but this will set me back even further.

How exactly does one receive justice in this case?

Vaith

Feb 15, 2011
@guy4, yes. I almost crashed my phone on the floor... Send it, you will be surprised.

Reactions: guy4
D

Deleted member 5204328

I'm waving the white flag.

It has been a while since I commented here.
I must confess that I myself have lost faith in this 'fix' and as a result, I urge you to do the same.
This problem is making me very depressed, as I was so looking forward to getting a new phone since the beginning of last year.
My X10 was getting old and its usefulness was limited. Battery issues cause the phone to last only a couple minutes before dying, even if the battery shows over 80% charged.
I went from a phone that is less powerful than present-day entry-level phones to a phone that has specs that rivals my laptop, but doesn't outdo it.
If anyone finds a real solution to this problem, please make it heard, and it doesn't matter if the solution is software or hardware related.
This problem killed my enthusiasm and optimism about owning one of the most powerful Android smartphones in the world.
I hope we find an answer...

I bid you all good day.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArmadiloDS

Sep 26, 2009
Hey guys, Im feeling very stupid now...
This problem wasnt so big until I tried to remove the ASF from the screen to fix it.
I didnt know that this will void my warranty :(
But have somebody maybe tried it without the ASF? I mean to send it to Sony?

guy4

Jan 20, 2014
I can tell you from now - Sony will charge you for the repair if you send it without the ASF, as it will be a non-warranty job. They will likely charge you a significant amount of cash as well. I heard people reporting 300-400$ for the display fix.

Vaith

Feb 15, 2011
Taking off ASF = end of warranty. You should read all the papers in the box with SXZ1

sar3vok

Aug 4, 2008
i don't know if someone already say that but it seems that the problem is related (in my case, of course) to cold ambient or fingers temperatures.
I notice that if my hands are colder than the phone, the touchscreen give the problem.
I don't think that this is a software problem but pray for it!

guybrush2099

Apr 19, 2013
It's strange. It doesn't seem a placebo effect: last fw 757 seems to fix my touch problems!

I don't know why, but I can write and touch very fast without keyboard/generic touch errors! Great!

hardware or software origins It works like a charm now :) (is it the springtime temperature? :) )

Inviato dal mio C6903 con Tapatalk

scesarin

Dec 10, 2007
Madrid
It's strange. It doesn't seem a placebo effect: last fw 757 seems to fix my touch problems!

I don't know why, but I can write and touch very fast without keyboard/generic touch errors! Great!

hardware or software origins It works like a charm now :) (is it the springtime temperature? :) )

Inviato dal mio C6903 con Tapatalk

I have the same fw, apparently fixed at the beginning, but after awhile, same problem again... grrrr

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Had this issue on previous firmwares but since the latest two i've never had the issue happen again.

I believe software could fix the issue otherwise how is my phone back to working again, but in all fairness my first phone was sent back under warranty and prior to me bricking that one i never had a problem with the screen, Sony are relatively prompt at sending back phones, got mine in 5 days.

Obviously if you live out in the sticks it'll take a while longer, but this is definitely fixable under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 5204328
    PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS FIX! If you are experiencing any touch screen irregularities, then it IS HARDWARE related. Use the warranty of the phone and either request a new device, or get a different device. Ignore the remainder of this post and the thread.

Sorry if this is very long and boring, but saying it all now saves everyone from saying it later :p

There is a massive problem that the Z1 suffers from, an erratic touch screen.
    Some people have the problem, whilst others don't. I am one of the unlucky owners of a Z1 which has this problem :crying:
    People report that the screen registers an input, then shortly losses the input and then regains it, making web browsing difficult as anything you scroll by could be clicked by accident.
    I suffer from that and then some. If I use the phone for a prolonged period of time (usually 20 minutes), the screen will register my input at completely different places to where my finger actually is! :(
    This makes normal use almost impossible since you have no control as to where it will register your input.
    Oddly enough, locking the phone for a few seconds (just long enough so that the phone falls into deep sleep) then waking it again makes the problem disappear temporarily. It does start doing it again eventually. This happens regardless of phone temperature. This also proves that the issue isn't hardware related, as if it was then it should be doing this all the time, regardless of anything.

Trying to do a clean install fails to fix the issue (at least for me), and even the highly anticipated KitKat update failed to address the issue, despite them claiming that KitKat will fix it (it didn't work for me).

NOW comes the possible solution. Since I know that this could not be a hardware issue, there must be a way to fix it via the software.

I researched a lot and found something that could fix the issue.

I'm saying this now. I don't guarantee that this will fix the problem, but trying won't hurt anyone :p

I didn't do a nandroid backup (I'm on 4.4.2 = no system mount in recovery), but if you feel uncomfortable with this, then by all means make one :D

You will need the following:
    Root
    Terminal Emulator
    Any file explorer with root access
    External microSD Card
    Any stock/stock based Sony ROM (try the fix on other custom ROMS if you want. No harm in trying, cough NANDROID IS YOUR FRIEND ;))

1: Open up the Terminal Emulator

2: Type in "su" with no inverted commas.

3: Type in the following command: touch /sdcard1/Calibration.ini
    There must be a space between "touch" and "/".
    If done right, you should get no response (no message at all, just back to "root@C69XX:/ #"

4: Enter and after that, shutdown the phone. Whilst it is booting, do not touch the screen. You can safely touch the screen after it is done booting (when you can see the UI). You can also reboot it instead of shutting it down, but I found that a proper shutdown works better (your mileage may very).

5: Goto a file explorer and delete the "Calibration.ini" file. This will prevent the phone from calibrating the screen after every reboot (not needed since it has just been calibrated).

6: All done :highfive:

Now, test the phone properly and see if the problem is gone.
    If you have the time and patience, I recommend setting the screen timeout to 30 minutes and using the phone without letting the screen turn off. If it doesn't do anything strange in that time, then you can safely assume that the problem is gone for good :highfive:
    Ever since I did this, the problem has ceased to be. It has gone and met its maker :p
    Hopefully you will have the same results :)
    Even if it didn't work, there was no harm in trying ;)
    Good luck! :good:

Note: For the app that does the same thing as this method, see post #2 ;)
    Please link sources where you found all this info? I found threads about three years old using this method on G-Tablet and stuff from back in the day but wonder if it's still actually working.

There's also an APP that calibrates the screen without reboot with reference to above manual fix:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=934500
    Beware, no idea what it does. If it works or if it ****s your phone up:
    View attachment TouchRecalibrate.apk
    No offense to anyone involved, but nothing you're experiencing in this thread isn't placebo.

Calibration.ini does not trigger anything, I'm not sure where that was perceived from, if anything, the fact it's an ini file would be the first giveaway, it's barely used outside of Windows, there are no references to the file in any libs, apps, or the kernel.

The APK in the first thread is specific to a certain touchscreen panel (IT7260), it does a firmware upgrade for it, your panels are all Synaptics' Clearpad, the APK does nothing for that.

The Z1 touchscreen issue is physical, keeping the screen wiped minimises issues, if you have a scratched screen protector (or one with stuff under it), replace it, if not, try and use warranty to replace the screen.
    D
    Deleted member 5204328
    Please link sources where you found all this info? I found threads about three years old using this method on G-Tablet and stuff from back in the day but wonder if it's still actually working.

There's also an APP that calibrates the screen without reboot with reference to above manual fix:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=934500
    Beware, no idea what it does. If it works or if it ****s your phone up:
    View attachment 2645905

Those which you posted are not exactly the ones I discovered.
    That would be this thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1960416

I knew about that app also, but I don't want to risk using it. I think that the manual method is better since it can work on any phone (or at least I think every phone)
    That app may only be developed for a specific device and using it on other devices sounds like trouble to me.

Either way, the manual method worked for me. I severely doubted it would work but it did. I tested the phone for at least 1 hour straight without letting the display turn off. Game after game I ran, battery drained by at least 18% and there was not a sign that the screen was going to bugger out again :D
    I even set the screen timeout to 30 minutes just to make sure it won't sleep.
    Still no sign of the problem, 5 hours later :D

I haven't rebooted it yet. I don't know if it will come back once a reboot has happened...
    Thread Closed per Op request.