[Q] T-MO pricing plans

Search This thread

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I've been with AT&T for many years now and have not kept up with the TMO pricing structure.

With AT&T, my Unlimited Data (grandfathered) with partner discount comes out to ~$75/month. With a new two year contract, I pay $200 for premium phones and get to keep them after my two years are up.

But TMO's pricing has me really confused. Looks like you don't pay $200, but instead you pay the same amount of money for the plan itself, in my case, probably $70-$80 after partner discount (for unlimited data). Then another $27/month for 24 months for the phone, instead of paying $200 up front.

The thing is, with AT&T that $200 divided by 24 months is only $8. So TMO's $27/month is $440 more expensive at the end of the 24 months?

M9x3mos

May 12, 2008
Around
That's take interesting. I never got that price getting AT&T and I heard they didn't let anyone keep unlimited data anyone.
That is a better plan then what T-Mobile can offer as long as when you go to upgrade they let you keep it.
Typically with newer plans and things like that they make you change if you want to get a discount with a new device and contract. That's how they made a lot of changes the past. Forcing a change when you try to get a new contract.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I've upgraded phones a few times on my AT&T unlimited plan and haven't had an issue yet.
They did threaten to kill the plan about 1.5 years ago when they "caught me tethering", which was kind of weird. But nothing ever came of it.
I use between 1.5GB and 8GB per month, with an average of ~3GB over the last year.

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
That's take interesting. I never got that price getting AT&T and I heard they didn't let anyone keep unlimited data anyone.
That is a better plan then what T-Mobile can offer as long as when you go to upgrade they let you keep it.
Typically with newer plans and things like that they make you change if you want to get a discount with a new device and contract. That's how they made a lot of changes the past. Forcing a change when you try to get a new contract.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I have been on the unlimited plan from the MotoQ, then Samsung Galaxy S1 Captivate, S2, S3, and S4 and have never list my Grandfathered Unlimited Plan. Every year it would be the same rumor that we would lose the grandfathered unlimited data but it never happened. We are basically just extending our contract another 2 years at a time. My contract/plan remains the same. I have 4 lines, 3 smartphone plans. But mine is the only grandfathered unlimited data. My other 2 smart phones have the 2Gb data. My bill is about $200 a month or just over (depending on how much the other phones go over their data limit).

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I have been on the unlimited plan from the MotoQ, then Samsung Galaxy S1 Captivate, S2, S3, and S4 and have never list my Grandfathered Unlimited Plan. Every year it would be the same rumor that we would lose the grandfathered unlimited data but it never happened. We are basically just extending our contract another 2 years at a time. My contract/plan remains the same. I have 4 lines, 3 smartphone plans. But mine is the only grandfathered unlimited data. My other 2 smart phones have the 2Gb data. My bill is about $200 a month or just over (depending on how much the other phones go over their data limit).

You're still on AT&T?
Check out the new family plans.
Some good prices in there.
Makes me consider going with the 10GB plan instead of unlimited. I've never once hit 10GB in ~4-5 years.

I don't want to stay with AT&T though, due to locked boot-loader BS.

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
You're still on AT&T?
Check out the new family plans.
Some good prices in there.
Makes me consider going with the 10GB plan instead of unlimited. I've never once hit 10GB in ~4-5 years.

I don't want to stay with AT&T though, due to locked boot-loader BS.

I have thought about it but I use on a normal basis about 10 Gbs a month just on my Unlimited data phone, and usually one if not both of the other phones with their 2Gb plans go over a gig or so.
Even with getting throttled at 5 Gb's I tend to use another 5Gb or more at the slow download/upload speeds. I can still download/upload Roms and themes just takes longer, still stream music, check on XDA and other websites with no issues while throttled. About the only thing that gets affected is watching/streaming movies or videos. Also what I can usually do is swap my Sim into my S3 and then not be throttled for another 3GBs. So not sure I could SHARE only 10Gb a month. Thanks for the suggestion though.
And all this because my only option for Home network is ATT DSL so it is always slow as heck. May switch to cable ONLY for internet at some point though. No Uverse or fiber optic type data in my housing tract.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Wow, ATT is throttling you?
They haven't done that to me in forever.
But the, I rarely go over 5GB.

Anyone know if TMO throttles download speeds on the unlimited data plan?

secano

Mar 27, 2010
New York City
I have thought about it but I use on a normal basis about 10 Gbs a month just on my Unlimited data phone, and usually one if not both of the other phones with their 2Gb plans go over a gig or so.
Even with getting throttled at 5 Gb's I tend to use another 5Gb or more at the slow download/upload speeds. I can still download/upload Roms and themes just takes longer, still stream music, check on XDA and other websites with no issues while throttled. About the only thing that gets affected is watching/streaming movies or videos. Also what I can usually do is swap my Sim into my S3 and then not be throttled for another 3GBs. So not sure I could SHARE only 10Gb a month. Thanks for the suggestion though.
And all this because my only option for Home network is ATT DSL so it is always slow as heck. May switch to cable ONLY for internet at some point though. No Uverse or fiber optic type data in my housing tract.

No throttling on Unlimited Nationwide 4G plan. I use about 30-35gigs per month all at LTE speeds.

Sent from my VS870 4G using xda app-developers app

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
Wow, ATT is throttling you?
They haven't done that to me in forever.
But the, I rarely go over 5GB.

Anyone know if TMO throttles download speeds on the unlimited data plan?

Yes Att throttles at 5Gb for the unlimitwd grandfathered plan. It was one reason why it was nice going from the S3 (throttled at 3Gb) to the S4 LTE (Throttked at 5Gb).

No throttling on Unlimited Nationwide 4G plan. I use about 30-35gigs per month all at LTE speeds.

Sent from my VS870 4G using xda app-developers app

Is that T-Mobile plan?

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
Correct. It's $20 for Unlimited LTE data, no caps, and you get 2.5GB at LTE speeds for tethering.

Thanks.
Now just time to wait and see if the bootloader is actually locked. Damn shame if it is

chivamex10

Mar 6, 2012
Honestly T-Mobile only saves you money if you bring your own device. If you finance a phone you're already up there with AT&T.

Plan starts at $50
Add $30 for unlimited data
$10 for jump
$23-29.50 for your phone.

I switched the day before the old $20 unlimited plan was removed and brought my nexus 5 so it did end up saving me money but most people want to get a shiny new phone.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: tenxo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is that T-Mobile plan?

Correct. It's $20 for Unlimited LTE data, no caps, and you get 2.5GB at LTE speeds for tethering.
    Honestly T-Mobile only saves you money if you bring your own device. If you finance a phone you're already up there with AT&T.

Plan starts at $50
    Add $30 for unlimited data
    $10 for jump
    $23-29.50 for your phone.

I switched the day before the old $20 unlimited plan was removed and brought my nexus 5 so it did end up saving me money but most people want to get a shiny new phone.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk