Download booster found and working-->not really

Search This thread

jonno95

Dec 2, 2010
So, I use Nova launcher and I went to add a shortcut the activities to the my home page and in the settings portion I found download booster. I opened it up, turned it on and it works. Weird...

Edit: nobody can get it to actually work other than turning it on, so it was requested that I change the title.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-12-00-29-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-12-00-29-17.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 3,142
  • Screenshot_2014-04-12-00-29-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-12-00-29-28.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 2,770
  • Screenshot_2014-04-12-00-30-00.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-12-00-30-00.png
    188.7 KB · Views: 2,642
Last edited:

bryanleonard

May 19, 2010
He's right. New grayed out icon in the task bar. Now trying to figure out how to test it. uploadfromtaptalk1397286013680.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bryanleonard

May 19, 2010
Not sure why you can't see the screen shots. I can see them in Tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kurofox23?

Nov 8, 2010
Thank you! I'm also getting to figure out how to test it ! I've already downloaded files of every size.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bsweetness

Mar 27, 2009
I turned this on, but even though it's showing an icon for it in the task bar, it's not doing anything. Downloads are going at my WiFi speed and aren't using LTE at all.

I think this is a similar situation to Blocking Mode on the S3. Verizon cut that out, but a shortcut was found to it in a similar way. You could turn it on, and it showed an icon in the status bar, but it never actually worked.

joderme

Jun 13, 2010
Found this in the feature.xml file... Not sure if it is related or not.

<CscFeature_Web_EnableWifiOption4LargeFileDownload>false</CscFeature_Web_EnableWifiOption4LargeFileDownload>

Also we will likely have to edit the equivalent of the SytemUI.apk to get the toggle in the menu (assuming that's where they still keep it). This would be similar to adding the WiFi toggle on the GN2 I would assume.

jpmcnown

Jan 13, 2011
Topeka, Kansas

<CscFeature_Web_EnableWifiOption4LargeFileDownload>false</CscFeature_Web_EnableWifiOption4LargeFileDownload>

Also we will likely have to edit the equivalent of the SytemUI.apk to get the toggle in the menu (assuming that's where they still keep it). This would be similar to adding the WiFi toggle on the GN2 I would assume.

Excellent find. This will be the first mod I make when I get write access to that file. Praying for root.

Njzkrish

May 14, 2008
Found it as well! Thank you. So far I tested it with Speedtest app.

Using wifi at home my normal rate without download booster - 50 - 55 mbps download, 12 mbps upload

Using wifi with download booster on and 2 - 3 bars of 4g LTE (My house doesn't get great speeds under LTE but they are decent) - 69 - 72 Mbps download, 13 mbps upload

Using LTE 4G only - 16 - 18 mbps download, 7 - 8 mbps upload.

Using LTE 4G with download booster no wifi - same as using LTE 4G by itself (Not sure why I tested that but just want consistent numbers)

Found that interesting.

jpmcnown

Jan 13, 2011
Topeka, Kansas
Found it as well! Thank you. So far I tested it with Speedtest app.

Using wifi at home my normal rate without download booster - 50 - 55 mbps download, 12 mbps upload

Using wifi with download booster on and 2 - 3 bars of 4g LTE (My house doesn't get great speeds under LTE but they are decent) - 69 - 72 Mbps download, 13 mbps upload

Using LTE 4G only - 16 - 18 mbps download, 7 - 8 mbps upload.

Using LTE 4G with download booster no wifi - same as using LTE 4G by itself (Not sure why I tested that but just want consistent numbers)

Found that interesting.

What did you "find as well"? It was my experience that enabling the feature doesn't appear to do anything(grey'd out icon in notification bar), and the feature.xml file needs root write permissions to be modified.

Njzkrish

May 14, 2008
What did you "find as well"? It was my experience that enabling the feature doesn't appear to do anything(grey'd out icon in notification bar), and the feature.xml file needs root write permissions to be modified.

I was able to get the shortcut on to my home screen and go into turn it on. I've come to think it does work since my download speed changes when it is turned on AFTER I turn my wifi on and test. Speeds shoot up. With wifi only, the speed testing hesitates to even get to 50 mbps to 55. With the booster on it easily jumps to 60 mbps and upwards. (My internet cap is at 50 mbps and at times I do reach 55 max but I've never hit over that into the 60s and 70s)

So I'm just going by the tests with speed app. haven't done much with downloading files.

onyx51

Apr 15, 2014
Download Booster

I was able to get the Nova launcher download booster setting turned on but how do you turn on the option in the mobile networks setting to allow the feature to work?

I saw the xml feature listing...so I'm guessing I have to root the device to change the mobile networks settings, or is there an app similar to MyInfo (that I had for my Droid A855) that will give me the option to choose my mobile network?

This by far is the most helpful forum online! Thanks for any assistance.

onyx51

Apr 15, 2014
Download Booster and mobile network

How do I use the above xml feature to change the mobile network options available?

husky88

May 26, 2013
NYC
No icon, but have the speeds possibly

I turned this on, but even though it's showing an icon for it in the task bar, it's not doing anything. Downloads are going at my WiFi speed and aren't using LTE at all.

I think this is a similar situation to Blocking Mode on the S3. Verizon cut that out, but a shortcut was found to it in a similar way. You could turn it on, and it showed an icon in the status bar, but it never actually worked.

I turned mine on via Nova and while I don't see the notification bar icon or display, I just downloaded 40mb cut the rope 2 from the play store on LTE and wifi and saw it going faster than 10 megabytes/second. It flew.

Afterwards I didn't get any sort of notification. I went to see if download booster was still on, and it was. It seemed to be working in the background based on the speeds I observed. I had a strong LTE signal (in NYC) and wifi is typically fast, but not THAT fast. (Cut the rope 2 downloaded in under 4 seconds)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I use Nova launcher and I went to add a shortcut the activities to the my home page and in the settings portion I found download booster. I opened it up, turned it on and it works. Weird...

Edit: nobody can get it to actually work other than turning it on, so it was requested that I change the title.