[Q]Activating onscreen keys and disabling capacitive keys.

Search This thread
Oct 12, 2012
Dothan, AL
So after a little bit of tinkering, I've managed to get M8-esque software keys on my One Max. Now I have set about disabling the capacitive home/back keys, but for the life of me, cannot manage to shut them off...does anyone happen to know the file that I need to edit?

Undertake the following AT YOUR OWN RISK, when it comes to ripping out this kind of stuff I HAVE ENOUGH TROUBLE TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY OWN ACTIONS, LET ALONE YOURS, THEREFORE, I WON'T.

UPDATE: For anyone interested in getting the keys disabled, I managed to finally get them off by using root explorer to edit the contents of:
- system/usr/keylayout/max1187x_touchscreen_0.kl
- system/usr/keylayout/himax.touchscreen.kl
- system/usr/keylayout/synaptics-rmi-touchscreen.kl

All contents of these files were backed up and deleted. Reboot and enjoy!

(I'd tried #ing them, and deleting the contents individually, but it only seems to work when ALL are blanked, someone who actually knows what they're doing can probably clarify if this is overkill)

Last edited:

waco2hot33

Mar 13, 2010
Baltimore
So after a little bit of tinkering, I've managed to get M8-esque software keys on my One Max. Now I have set about disabling the capacitive home/back keys, but for the life of me, cannot manage to shut them off...does anyone happen to know the file that I need to edit?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You mind sharing how you did it ?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Oct 12, 2012
Dothan, AL

Well I suspect what made it so very easy was the fact that I was on the 4.4/Sense 6 M8 port that Flyhalf posted a few weeks ago. Since it was an M8 port, I just assumed they'd be hidden in there.

You can get them up with a text edit, or you can go the easy route and use
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fatedevgroup.softkeyenabler

I have no idea if this would work on stock One Max ROMs, but it's worth a shot.

Reactions: waco2hot33

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Well I suspect what made it so very easy was the fact that I was on the 4.4/Sense 6 M8 port that Flyhalf posted a few weeks ago. Since it was an M8 port, I just assumed they'd be hidden in there.

button savior also works.

i've been looking for how to disable the hard keys but haven't found it. I was thinking maybe using Xposed Additions to see if I could just remap the buttons to no action or something but haven't had the chance

Reactions: belly of the beast

Murrda

Apr 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
It'll work on stock or ports 4.4.x only but use Xposed then install GravityBox and you can add soft keys and you can turn off hard keys......... Nuff said! ;)

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

I heard you can quickly edit your build.prop or you can adb pull framework-res.apk decompile it with ApkTool and edit the I think bool.XML I dunno its been a while and change show navbar from false to true then recompile it and push it back.. Restart the Android system wait for it to optimize apps and profit LOL... That's a somewhat permanent solution unless you reverse the method

Reactions: belly of the beast
Oct 12, 2012
Dothan, AL
It'll work on stock or ports 4.4.x only but use Xposed then install GravityBox and you can add soft keys and you can turn off hard keys......... Nuff said! ;)

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

I heard you can quickly edit your build.prop or you can adb pull framework-res.apk decompile it with ApkTool and edit the I think bool.XML I dunno its been a while and change show navbar from false to true then recompile it and push it back.. Restart the Android system wait for it to optimize apps and profit LOL... That's a somewhat permanent solution unless you reverse the method

Hmm, I've been looking into gravitybox, but I can't seem to find any option to completely disable the hardware keys. I do see how I can map double and long presses, but nothing for just general presses. (Although if I could define the length of a long press at a laughably short time, e.g. 1ms, then assign no long press function.....that could be a janky way of getting the job done)

Oct 12, 2012
Dothan, AL
The most infuriating part of this is the fact that I've been digging in system/usr/.../keylayout, systematically #ing out instances of the desired keys, but they just never ever ever unbind.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Undertake the following AT YOUR OWN RISK, when it comes to ripping out this kind of stuff I HAVE ENOUGH TROUBLE TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY OWN ACTIONS, LET ALONE YOURS, THEREFORE, I WON'T.

UPDATE: For anyone interested in getting the keys disabled, I managed to finally get them off by using root explorer to edit the contents of:
    - system/usr/keylayout/max1187x_touchscreen_0.kl
    - system/usr/keylayout/himax.touchscreen.kl
    - system/usr/keylayout/synaptics-rmi-touchscreen.kl

All contents of these files were backed up and deleted. Reboot and enjoy!

(I'd tried #ing them, and deleting the contents individually, but it only seems to work when ALL are blanked, someone who actually knows what they're doing can probably clarify if this is overkill)

button savior also works.

i've been looking for how to disable the hard keys but haven't found it. I was thinking maybe using Xposed Additions to see if I could just remap the buttons to no action or something but haven't had the chance

Haha! I've fumbled my way to success! OP updated for any one who might want to do the same.