Spirit1, Spirit2 Real FM Radio General Thread

7,827 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,164

By mikereidis, Inactive Recognized Developer on 1st May 2011, 09:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th April 2014, 02:17 PM |#7751  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Just a quickie: I see there's an April 9 version which changes Sony's buffer rate to 340 from the 500 I think it is presently? What difference should that make?

9th April 2014, 09:02 PM |#7752  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervluk

Just a quickie: I see there's an April 9 version which changes Sony's buffer rate to 340 from the 500 I think it is presently? What difference should that make?

Yes, there's a general April 8 release, for both Spirit1 and Spirit2.

For Spirit1 it includes all the little mods after the February 14 release that only beta users have seen until now.

The only role that 500 plays is as the default value in milliseconds for AF-> AF Period. If AF Period is the default 500, then digital audio buffer sizes are set to their defaults, depending on device. This is a "hack" setting and SHOULD have it's own value, but doesn't; it's piggy backed. I try hard now to not introduce changes (mostly) that could break things and the result is that old hacks remain and don't get fixed. That's part of the "price" for a more mature app.

The previous default for Sony devices was 4096 bytes I think; it's hard to tell sometimes with complicated code and I don't have one of these devices to see first hand.

I recently changed Spirit2 samplerate default for Sony to 44.1 KHz and that seemed to mostly fix the lack of, or problems with, audio on Sony's with Spirit2. Someone was still reporting a problem though, so I changed Sony buffersize in Spirit1 to match, to see if I get reports of problems.

320 seems to be the basic native buffer size on Qualcomm devices. Multiples, like 3840, can be used, and bigger sizes reduce or eliminate glitches. But older Qualcomm devices show strange problems using multiples.

When I don't have the phone, using new values and waiting to see if I get bug reports is sadly the best way I have to learn more about issues and resolve them.
13th April 2014, 07:37 AM |#7753  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hey guys i havent seen anyone talking about bb Q10
hey i really would love if you guys can confirm if this app works on blackberry Q10. the chipset is the same while bb10 has open API and now can install .apk directly this should be a crazy demand for this app because they do not have a fm transmitter software yet on bb10 just able to listen. i cant wait to broadcast over any radio station in my friends car. unfortunally my headphone jack broke but my new phone will be in the mail soon and i will be on the hunt to get an available andriod app working for an fm transmitter thanks
13th April 2014, 08:51 AM |#7754  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
side loaded spirit fm ul app
ok well the app lanches and seems to be working but cant tell intill i get a headphone jack working and i can start debuging. i would like to see other people confirming a working q10 or not
13th April 2014, 09:53 AM |#7755  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Spirit FM, sounds good!
13th April 2014, 07:45 PM |#7756  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpreziose

hey i really would love if you guys can confirm if this app works on blackberry Q10. the chipset is the same while bb10 has open API and now can install .apk directly this should be a crazy demand for this app because they do not have a fm transmitter software yet on bb10 just able to listen. i cant wait to broadcast over any radio station in my friends car. unfortunally my headphone jack broke but my new phone will be in the mail soon and i will be on the hunt to get an available andriod app working for an fm transmitter thanks

Spirit does not have any usable FM transmitter function.

And 99.9% of Android devices are incapable of FM transmit anyway, and the 0.1% are not official.

Further, I wouldn't expect Spirit to run well (or at all) on any emulated Android, such as Blackberry's.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
14th April 2014, 08:02 PM |#7757  

Donate to Me
More
HTC One M8 Verizon !
14th April 2014, 08:03 PM |#7758  

Donate to Me
More
Deserves a top of page post ending in '1' ...
14th April 2014, 08:03 PM |#7759  

Donate to Me
More
HTC One M8 Verizon ! :)
HTC One M8 Verizon ! (pg 777)

To my utter astonishment, Verizon has NOT disabled the FM antenna pin on the new M8, like they did on their "very special/worldwide exclusive" FM hating M7.

The stock HTC FM app even works on the stock VZN M8; no SU/root needed.

I think Spirit1 and Spirit2 should both work, using all Qualcomm FM/audio settings, like for OneXL, MotoG or Sony's.

I think root may be needed (for Spirit), but I'm not sure yet. HTC disabled 3rd party non-rooted FM access on M7 KitKat so they may have done the same for M8.

I'll copy my post from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=46

Quote:

Geez.

Some of you guys using my Spirit FM apps and nobody even sends me an email or posts on my threads to let me know it works.

LOL.

Anyway, I'm VERY happy to see the VZN M8 still has the FM antenna pins connected. Verizon has the ONLY M7 in the world with their "special" FM disabling mod.

If you're using Spirit2, I DID release a March 20, 20140320 APK as free. All other recent versions are non-free/paid.

Supporting me by buying Spirit1 or Spirit2 on Play will keep me interested in supporting Spirit, as I have exclusively (no other apps) for over 3 years now. If my income continues to decline, as it has for 2 years, I'll be spending more time on a new non-FM app.

I'm tempted to put stuff about my Spirit apps prices here, and the 1st of the month (or other) sales. But if you've just bought a shiny new M8 (contract subsidized or not), then you're richer than me. Frankly, I could make the same flipping burgers at McDonalds at minimum legal wage, given the 70 hour work weeks I do.

16th April 2014, 09:55 PM |#7760  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusAnthonius

Hello Mike,

I have a question for you. I'm using you're free app version 1 on my Note 1. When i'm installing CM11 I have no trouble but when I installing Asylum Android 4.4.2 the free app doesn't work.

Can you tell me do you have a solution for me or have Spirit2 also free app because the normal app I can't buy it.

Thanks for your answer!

Greetings,
Marc

The most common problem is a lack of SU/root. Check your SuperUser or SuperSU app and make sure Spirit is there and green.

Many ROMs, like Omni, don't have SU integrated and it has to be flashed manually.

The 2nd most likely cause is a kernel that doesn't support the FM driver.

The RC1 March 20 release of Spirit2 was released freely, but I'm not maintaining a download location for it anymore. This was the most recent free release and may be the last.

I'm sure it can be found with Google, or in some ROM, but I can't vouch that any copy is unmodified and malware free. But md5sum for s2_140320.apk is 4db99c696edf1a9a836aa83cdc2f5b42 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusAnthonius

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried your solution and everything seems to be good, but when I start Free Spirit is silent.
Which frequency I choose.

I put my question in the forum Asylum but received no response.

Do you have another solution?

Greetz,
Marc

I have some information for you. When I'm opening SuperSU behind Spirit FM I see a green #. When I'm opening the SuperSu options for Spirit FM and and click on forced use (I think that but I see this in Dutch) and there stand nothing and I those Radio I see the following things when I'm opening Spirit FM after reboot;

Error No FM Accessible
SU:2 FM:SLS SU:1 BT:0 HT:0 MO:SLS

I hope that's information for you that tells you what te problems are. When I nothing those I see nothing that tells me there's an error.

Spirit has SU, so that's not the problem.

I think the problem is with the kernel FM driver at /dev/radio0 or /dev/fmradio .

Try another kernel.
18th April 2014, 10:04 PM |#7761  

Donate to Me
More
Email:

Quote:

Hello Mike Reidis,

i am a happy user of Cyanogenmod (Currently running the CM11 nightly) but i'd like to have FM support on my device again. So your App seems to be just what I need. But I have a few questions and would highly appreciate it if you could take a few minutes to answer them:

Hi, With so many questions they should be shared with everyone.

Quote:

3. Officially supported lists the i9100. But I happen to have a i9100g, which is very similar I guess. Can you tell if the App will run? Or is there any way to test it? (Without buying first and maybe refunding?) There is a free app for Spirit FM 1, but not for 2, right? So, what do you suggest?

Spirit1is the only option for GT-I9100g "G variant": https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cros.fm_unlock . Spirit2 focuses on only the most popular phones and 9100g is rare compared to the 1st/2nd place 9100.

I've attached Spirit1 Unlocked to test. But I cancel any order on request within 30 days (used to be forever, and I'm still sympathetic to other requests.)

There's a 7 month old Free version of Spirit1 here, but it may not work well on 2014 ROMs: http://devhost.xda-developers.com/H4x

Quote:

1. So far I never heard of Spirit FM until today! And I see there is Spirit FM1 and Spirit FM2. Spirit FM2 seems to be the new version, but it's very new and not completely finished yet, right? But if I start with Spirit FM just now, is there any point in buying the "old" version? (I really appreciate your work and I will gladly pay 9€ for it, but I don't want to buy it twice in a month or so - i hope you understand that) So should I just get the "new" Version and that's all a new customer from April 2014 should look for? I guess on long term Spirit FM1 will disappear and Spirit FM2 will be the only available App which receives updates? (or, on very long term, Spirit FM3?) Or did i get something wrong there?

I spend most time developing, and little "marketing", so Spirit is a bit "hidden". But if you want FM on AOSP, on most phones it's the only option after CM7.

Software is NEVER finished, LOL. Spirit1 is 3 years old and still getting updates, but mostly bug fixes and adjustments for new phones and Android/ROM versions. At this point Spirit1 is not getting new features.

Depending on how you count, Spirit2 is about 2 years, 1 year, or 7 months old. It WILL get new features, but presently has fewer features than Spirit1.

Quote:

2. Please be honest with me there and this wont change my will to buy this app (i promise): But as far as you are informed are there any plans on getting a FM App to the official CM builds? FM Radio seemed to be one of the very few features you had to sacrifice to enter the world of CM. Is that still so? But if Spirit FM runs on your device and you're willing to pay these 10$, you can negate this downside completely, right?

Honesty is always the best policy.

AFAIK, there is no trend to add FM radio to CM or other popular AOSP ROMs. There are a few isolated cases. For Sony's, the FreeXperia dev was adding an FM app, but he stopped I've heard; too much work/trouble. The MotoG has a Qualcomm app on CM11.

For the 9100g I think it's very unlikely that someone else will create an FM app in 2014 or later. Most developers are volunteers and they see FM as old fashioned. Add to that how hard it is to make FM work, and there are few prospects for other Android FM apps.

As things stand right now, I'm spending some time on a new app, because my income is not too good. Nobody wants to compete with me for a paid app, and free apps are few.

Quote:

4. I read about potential speaker damage for the Galaxy S. But the S2 and S2g (if it does even work on the latter) are safe, right? Or do you have any information on speakerdamage on other devices but the Galaxy S so far?

Galaxy S GT-I9000 is the only phone with this issue.

Quote:

Until now my most expensive App ever was about 4€ once, (and all the others never exceeded 2€) But I'd gladly pay 9€ to support the AOSP and to value the amout of work you put in there! I think this is really a fair price for a feature, you couldn't get otherwise on modded devices So keep up the good work, if i'm satisfied i'd surely buy Spirit FM3 as well in 2016 or so

Best regards from Germany and thank you for your time!

The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
spirit fm radio receiver ota

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)