TWRP 2.7 fails on /data backup

Search This thread

sharksfan7

Aug 7, 2011
San Diego
I just flashed TWRP v2.7 on my One. Tried making a backup but it keeps failing while backing up the data partition. It doesn't give any sort of error code or indication why. It just stops and says "Backup Failed". I flashed back to v2.6.3.4 and the backup completes fine. I noticed that w/ v2.6.3.4 it breaks up each partition into multiple files. It doesn't appear that v2.7 does that. Not sure if that would matter. Also, I'm still running stock 4.3. Does v2.7 only work with KitKat ROMs? I know v2.7 just released & there could be some bugs, but wondered if anyone else is experiencing this. Here's my getvar all just in case.

fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.55.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.20.3218.13
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 3.17.502.3
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4211mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-a85199f7
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

sharksfan7

Aug 7, 2011
San Diego
Thanks. I've already went back to 2.6.3.4 and ran a backup. I'll have to reflash 2.7 and try again. I'll try to do that later tonight.

sharksfan7

Aug 7, 2011
San Diego
So I reflashed TWRP 2.7 and tried to create a backup. Once again it failed. I grabbed the last_log and took a look at it. But it have no idea what the errors mean. Here are the last few lines of the log. Anyone care to shed some light on what this means?

Splitting thread ID 0 into archive 2
E:tar_open error opening ''
E:Error creating tar '' for thread 0
I:ERROR tarList for thread ID 0
E:Error creating backup.
I:createTarFork() process ended with ERROR=255
I:Set page: 'action_complete'
I:Set page: 'rebootcheck'
I:Root permissions appear to be lost... fixing. (This will always happen on 4.3+ ROMs with SELinux.
I:Copying file /cache/recovery/log to /cache/recovery/last_log
Rebooting...

I went back to the Techerrata page and realized that v2.7 is available for the m7 but not m7_ul. I assume that there is a distinct difference between these versions if they need to be listed separately. My AT&T device is a m7_ul, so I guess the reason the backup fails has something to do with that. But from the TeamWin page, if you search for HTC One, it doesn't list the m7_ul variant at all. I only found the image for the m7_ul by browsing the list of all the devices that TWRP is available for. And the only version listed under m7_ul is 2.6.3.4.

Then again, this is just speculation on my part. I really don't know all the technical aspects of how all this works. I just follow the instructions on how to use it. If anyone who knows for sure why backups would be failing in v2.7, I would love to hear an explanation.

z3atl

Dec 9, 2011
Me too...hope someone has a working solution. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

goodsouls

Oct 24, 2010
Providence, RI
I'm in a similar boat. I'm getting the same error:

I:Root permissions appear to be lost... fixing. (This will always happen on 4.3+ ROMs with SELinux.
Rebooting...

However, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 TMO..... and I successfully used TWRP 2.7 / Nandroid to backup my system before.... but now it just gives me this error. Currently trying to backup a rooted stock rom that I used ODIN to put on the device.

EDIT: SOLUTION! I just checked Enable Compression and it seems to be working.....FYI.

Last edited:

blocka

Dec 28, 2012
Motorola Edge 20 Pro
I've got a problem with TWRP failing on a backup with E:createTarFork() process ended with ERROR=255.

The is part of the log
* MD5 Created.
Backing up System...
E:Error opening '/system/app/AntHalService/oat' -- error: Not a directory
E:Error in Generate_TarList!
I:InfoManager saving '/external_sd/TWRP/BACKUPS/FA54CYJ11099/2016-01-29--23-52-55_MRA58K_release-keys/system.info'
E:createTarFork() process ended with ERROR=255
Backup Failed.
Cleaning Backup Folder

Ryder.

Feb 4, 2016
I've got a problem with TWRP failing on a backup with E:createTarFork() process ended with ERROR=255.

The is part of the log
* MD5 Created.
Backing up System...
E:Error opening '/system/app/AntHalService/oat' -- error: Not a directory
E:Error in Generate_TarList!
I:InfoManager saving '/external_sd/TWRP/BACKUPS/FA54CYJ11099/2016-01-29--23-52-55_MRA58K_release-keys/system.info'
E:createTarFork() process ended with ERROR=255
Backup Failed.
Cleaning Backup Folder

I had the same problem. I think the only solution is full wipe

Ryder.

Feb 4, 2016
Thanks, yeah I thought that might be the case.

Can you tell me why is it that when we do a TWRP restore that system needs to be read only? Because I think I may have forgotten to select this option after I did a restore and that's screwed some stuff up.
Go to "mount" in twrp and uncheck mount system partition read-only option. Then it should restore your backup successfully :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm in a similar boat. I'm getting the same error:

Rebooting...

However, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 TMO..... and I successfully used TWRP 2.7 / Nandroid to backup my system before.... but now it just gives me this error. Currently trying to backup a rooted stock rom that I used ODIN to put on the device.

EDIT: SOLUTION! I just checked Enable Compression and it seems to be working.....FYI.
    2.7.0.0 does split the archives, so it's not that.
    Okay. I guess it just didn't explicitly say it's doing so like v2.6.3.4 does. Didn't actually look at the /system backup that did complete in v2.7.

Grab the log from /cache/recovery/last_log, should tell why it's failing.
    I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP. If anyone can help us out that would be awesome!

Me too...hope someone has a working solution. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

The working solution is stay with TWRP 2.6.3.3 or 2.6.3.4