[Stock Recovery] Use 4 OTA

Search This thread

bracketslash

Oct 1, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
I THINK THIS IS WHAT I NEED!

Someone help please! Lol.

I'm currently S-OFF and rooted on stock rom. I want to remove S-OFF and root if possible and update to the latest OTA. I am also using TWRP as custom recovery. Can I flash this and then update via the OTA and accomplish what I want?!

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010

I'm currently S-OFF and rooted on stock rom. I want to remove S-OFF and root if possible and update to the latest OTA. I am also using TWRP as custom recovery. Can I flash this and then update via the OTA and accomplish what I want?!

Leave S-Off, the OTA neither affects or is affected by the S-Off.

You just need the stock recovery to flash.

Paulb787

Mar 24, 2011
Yes.. u don't need to take it back to s-on.

Get back to stock Rom (may be on it now if you haven't flashed any roms)
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery "name of file".img
reboot and flash the ota from settings menu

Last edited:

dadams312

Aug 10, 2010
Does this affect root? Or if I flash the stock recovery will I be able to get the OTA update with root?

Paulb787

Mar 24, 2011
You will not loose root or s-off. It has been verified! this OTA is safe and was finished before we even had s-off. I do agree not to take an ota until the developers look at it to make sure you wont loose the ability to s-off or root. It is not the case here. If you are on the stock rom you will be fine.

Last edited:

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Don't ever take any OTA upgrades. Live by this rule, never lose root.

If you have S-off, this OTA (nor any OTA I have ever heard of) will take away your ability to root it again.

it can be confusing for new users when seeing conflicting posts. nabbed is correct, though. from my reading it's confirmed by those who bring us s-off
never want to take OTA.. it can be pulled and flashed.. no reason to risk losing s-off permanently. and yes it is very possible from an OTA

Last edited:

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010
it can be confusing for new users when seeing conflicting posts. nabbed is correct, though. from my reading it's confirmed by those who bring us s-off
never want to take OTA.. it can be pulled and flashed.. no reason to risk losing s-off permanently. and yes it is very possible from an OTA

From a theoretical perspectives its possible for OTA remove S-off. However, as I said, this OTA will not take away S-Off. Keep in mind there are legit S-Off phones out there that would be ruined by such an OTA.

Also, I have never heard of that ever happening, i.e. an OTA S-on'ing a device. If you know this has happened before, please link me to a source.

As far as I know, no OTA has ever caused an S-On. Losing root yes, but that can be easily fixed if you have S-off.

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
From a theoretical perspectives its possible for OTA remove S-off. However, as I said, this OTA will not take away S-Off. Keep in mind there are legit S-Off phones out there that would be ruined by such an OTA.

Also, I have never heard of that ever happening, i.e. an OTA S-on'ing a device. If you know this has happened before, please link me to a source.

As far as I know, no OTA has ever caused an S-On. Losing root yes, but that can be easily fixed if you have S-off.

Wasn't trying to call you out or anything, just pointing out conflicting information. As the majority are in the do not flash OTA group.
I will ask someone who works on S-OFF to confirm that this is actually something to worry about. :cool:

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010
Wasn't trying to call you out or anything, just pointing out conflicting information. As the majority are in the do not flash OTA group.
I will ask someone who works on S-OFF to confirm that this is actually something to worry about. :cool:

No worries. Didn't meant to sound mean or anything. I have heard the same thing. "Never flash an OTA, ever." ...And if you are S-on, that is true as the OTA could remove root and/or make it more difficult to root/S-off. However, I have never heard of an OTA turning an S-Off device back to S-off.

My question is a genuine one. Has anyone actually shown that at some point an OTA has S-on'ed a device?

NoFanboy

Oct 4, 2013
I should go outside...
After installing the OTA then flashing twrp again I lost root. No biggy just had to flash super su again. Im not one to contribute to placebo but the speed of this build is very noticeable. Just see how much quicker the multitasking button works.

Only thing I'm noticing is my gestures aren't working anymore hmmm....

Last edited:

bracketslash

Oct 1, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
After installing the OTA then flashing twrp again I lost root. No biggy just had to flash super su again. Im not one to contribute to placebo but the speed of this build is very noticeable. Just see how much quicker the multitasking button works.

Only thing I'm noticing is my gestures aren't working anymore hmmm....

Failed for me :-| All I've done is installed the EPS mod and power saver mod...I flashed for permanent root (installs to system directory). Is there any way for me to get it to work?

Denvertoad

Sep 5, 2010
Thanks much for the stock image. Worked like a champ, flashed, reboot and update, reflash TWRP. All good to go.

Top Liked Posts