[Q] Where are the ROM's?

Search This thread

Clamhost

Feb 14, 2011
www.clamhost.com
I just purchased my S5 yesterday (April 17th), but I regret selling my M8. I thought the S5 would have more dev support and more ROM's than M8, but I guess I was wrong. On the T-Mobile M8 Android Dev section there is a GPE ROM and a RUU to covert the M8 to stock android.

I was expecting like 5-10 ROMs on the S5 already (as was with the Note 3), but I guess I'm wrong? Or can I flash ROM's meant for the non T-Mobile S5?

That's my main question.

Where are the ROM's?

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
wow really?
Impatient much?
You do realize that this phone came out less then two weeks ago.
And I am sure that not that many people have jumped to this since there were so many people that develop that are already on the s4 and the s5 is not that much of a upgrade for them to switch.
Not to mention that the AT&T and Verizon cariants are not rootable yet and more developers are typically on those networks to begin with.
Give it a little more time for the others to get root and developers to move over and get used to the different setup and roms will come.

awful_bliss

Aug 5, 2010
I just purchased my S5 yesterday (April 17th), but I regret selling my M8. I thought the S5 would have more dev support and more ROM's than M8, but I guess I was wrong. On the T-Mobile M8 Android Dev section there is a GPE ROM and a RUU to covert the M8 to stock android.

I was expecting like 5-10 ROMs on the S5 already (as was with the Note 3), but I guess I'm wrong? Or can I flash ROM's meant for the non T-Mobile S5?

That's my main question.

Where are the ROM's?

You can flash the international ROMs but you'll lose WiFi calling. Remember that this device has barely been out a week and already on back order for many potential purchasers. Be patient, custom ROMs will come soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Sheldor1967

Clamhost

Feb 14, 2011
www.clamhost.com
You can flash the international ROMs but you'll lose WiFi calling. Remember that this device is already on back order for many potential purchasers. But custom ROMs will come soon enough.

Haha I could care less for WiFi calling, my DSL is 2MB/s anyway, so its not like calls through WiFi even work.

That was my question, so now I will begin downloading Echo ROM.

Last question, will I lose 4G LTE flashing these ROM's?

Thanks!

Clamhost

Feb 14, 2011
www.clamhost.com
wow really?
Impatient much?
And I am sure that not that many people have jumped to this since there were so many people that develop that are already on the s4 and the s5 is not that much of a upgrade for them to switch.
Not to mention that the AT&T and Verizon cariants are not rootable yet and more developers are typically on those networks to begin with.
Give it a little more time for the others to get root and developers to move over and get used to the different setup and roms will come.

Well just saying the M8 has more ROM's and even stock android flashability (made that up :p)

Seriously though, there is a GPE ROM for M8 that allows you to flash back to stock still, and the RUU Google Play Edition, which essentially converts the M8 on T-Mobile (and other carriers) to a GPE version of the M8 permanately.

-Thomas

awful_bliss

Aug 5, 2010
Haha I could care less for WiFi calling, my DSL is 2MB/s anyway, so its not like calls through WiFi even work.

Thanks!

I haven't tried it, but I would assume it works fine as long as you keep the T-Mobile firmware. There is some discussion in the general thread about people running the international ROMs as well as in the international forums, look around. I think we'll start seeing custom ROMs built from the T-Mobile base sometime next week at the latest, I'm content with root for now.

Reactions: Connor Baker

Clamhost

Feb 14, 2011
www.clamhost.com
I haven't tried it, but I would assume it works fine as long as you keep the T-Mobile firmware. There is some discussion in the general thread about people running the international ROMs as well as in the international forums, look around. I think we'll start seeing custom ROMs built from the T-Mobile base sometime next week at the latest, I'm content with root for now.

I guess I'll make a Nandroid to be safe. :)

M9x3mos

May 12, 2008
Around
Well just saying the M8 has more ROM's and even stock android flashability (made that up :p)

Seriously though, there is a GPE ROM for M8 that allows you to flash back to stock still, and the RUU Google Play Edition, which essentially converts the M8 on T-Mobile (and other carriers) to a GPE version of the M8 permanately.

-Thomas

There are no gpe version of the s5 so that makes getting that much harder. And really only 3 roms for the m8. The stock, the gpe, and venom (modded stock).
Not a great amount there yet.
Just need a little more time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Clamhost

Feb 14, 2011
www.clamhost.com
There are no gpe version of the s5 so that makes getting that much harder. And really only 3 roms for the m8. The stock, the gpe, and venom (modded stock).
Not a great amount there yet.
Just need a little more time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I agree, but the M8 Android Dev thread still has more threads, when it had a locked bootloader! You can argue since its easy to unlock etc, but come on. I remember when the S4/Note 3 had dozens of ROM's in like 2 weeks.

Connor Baker

May 9, 2012
ROMs can be found @ the S5 international forum... for now ;]

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s5

Sent from my SM-G900T

I'm thinking of upgrading as well, but coming from carrier specific devices (the Samsung Infuse, ATT only, and the Nexus 4 on Simple Mobile), there hasn't been different variants. So the T-Mobile devices is compatible with ROMs built for the international variant? Would the kernels for it be compatible as well? The only thing that would be lost would be the carrier specific additions such as built-in VOIP? No differences in partition layout?

Connor Baker

Clamhost

Feb 14, 2011
www.clamhost.com
I'm thinking of upgrading as well, but coming from carrier specific devices (the Samsung Infuse, ATT only, and the Nexus 4 on Simple Mobile), there hasn't been different variants. So the T-Mobile devices is compatible with ROMs built for the international variant? Would the kernels for it be compatible as well? The only thing that would be lost would be the carrier specific additions such as built-in VOIP? No differences in partition layout?

Connor Baker

Just flashed the Echoe ROM for my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5, and I can confirm I'm NOT getting 4G LTE. I'm only getting HSPA+

Not sure if I need to add an APN or what, but wanted to let you know that 4G LTE does NOT work immediately after flashing that ROM.

-Thomas

Connor Baker

May 9, 2012
Just flashed the Echoe ROM for my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5, and I can confirm I'm NOT getting 4G LTE. I'm only getting HSPA+

Not sure if I need to add an APN or what, but wanted to let you know that 4G LTE does NOT work immediately after flashing that ROM.

-Thomas

It did flash? Wonderful! Please let me know if the issue with 4G is kernel/radio based, or just due to a missing/selected APN.

Many thanks in advance,
Connor Baker

Clamhost

Feb 14, 2011
www.clamhost.com

Connor Baker

It did flash? Wonderful! Please let me know if the issue with 4G is kernel/radio based, or just due to a missing/selected APN.

Many thanks in advance,
Connor Baker

APN shows T-Mobile, so I believe its just a kernel/radio issue. It's up to you if flashing a custom ROM is worth no LTE.

dustintinsley

Jun 14, 2013
APN shows T-Mobile, so I believe its just a kernel/radio issue. It's up to you if flashing a custom ROM is worth no LTE.

You need to verify the T-Mobile APN. Maybe the settings are not for T-Mobile LTE. I had the same issues after my flash but I am on AT&T. Just make sure the APN settings match that of T-Mobile LTE. Carriers have more then one APN.

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
I agree, but the M8 Android Dev thread still has more threads, when it had a locked bootloader! You can argue since its easy to unlock etc, but come on. I remember when the S4/Note 3 had dozens of ROM's in like 2 weeks.

Before complaining, You can always go back to your m8. Mate.

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

yoonus

Jun 18, 2013
Morrisville
You need to verify the T-Mobile APN. Maybe the settings are not for T-Mobile LTE. I had the same issues after my flash but I am on AT&T. Just make sure the APN settings match that of T-Mobile LTE. Carriers have more then one APN.

Did you flash International S5 ROM on ATT S5? Which ROM did you use? How is the experience? Is everything working?

Thanks in advance

n2nin

Aug 27, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S10
I seriously doubt that since there is no root for the AT&T variants

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

I am currently using AllianceROM. It works great. No issues.

I doubt that it is on the AT&T variant

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    wow really?
    Impatient much?
    Cyanogenmod is working on the S5

cyanogen_blog.jpg

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/this-week-in-cm-apr-26-2014

That's my main question.

Where are the ROM's?

You can flash the international ROMs but you'll lose WiFi calling. Remember that this device has barely been out a week and already on back order for many potential purchasers. Be patient, custom ROMs will come soon enough.

Thanks!

Will any of the Roms from this forum work on the G900T?

All of them unless otherwise stated in the OP of the ROM. I'm currently running Omega ROM, I highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G900T