Dollar for Calculator app!

Search This thread

azpatterson3

Jun 8, 2011
St. Louis
The lack of apps and not being able to sideload is irritating right now but I believe when development progresses we will get these things. I refuse to pay a dollar for a calculator app or 2048. I would like to have them on my watch but think they are taking advantage. I just gave samsung 200 dollars, they should provide more free useful apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527

Last edited:

Legacy2385

Oct 13, 2008
So you want Samsung to develop free apps for you because you paid $199 for the watch?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

azpatterson3

Jun 8, 2011
St. Louis
So you want Samsung to develop free apps for you because you paid $199 for the watch?

Some... yes. A calculator should be stock. What's with the attitudes on here today? If they are going to compete with android, they are going to want to develop a lot more apps.

P.s. And over the years, I have given them a couple of thousand. I've been very loyal to samsung.

Last edited:

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
You can sideload apps, it's just that there are no apps to sideload. I'm sure samsung will provide us with a a calculator just as they provided a sleep app which wasn't available before the weekend

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: azpatterson3

markbc01

Dec 5, 2011
Pacific Grove, CA
Some... yes. A calculator should be stock. What's with the attitudes on here today? If they are going to compete with android, they are going to want to develop a lot more apps. P.s. And over the years, I have given them a couple of thousand. I've been very loyal to samsung. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527

You can sideload apps, it's just that there are no apps to sideload. I'm sure samsung will provide us with a a calculator just as they provided a sleep app which wasn't available before the weekend Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Completely agree with azpatterson3, the calculator is the symbol for the problem! It's not the dollar for the an app. I like many always try to buy the dev's paid apps and I have hundreds of apps stuck on play to prove it! However, for Tizen we have (almost) only that one app (not counting the nascent watch face efforts, and Glympse). Morover, a basic calculator app is the type of app that every single beginning developer publishes for free just to get started! Samsung marketing this in their new Tizen store is . . . .puzzling! The irony is thick!

I do accept polish_pat's point too. There will be a free calculator, more watch faces and more. . . everything. Hopefully many created by outside devs that we can side load. But waiting is really, really frustrating.

Reminds me of when I bought a Motorola Atrix some years back (don't even remember which model right now!) I and many others were waiting and waiting for development on roms --it was painfully slow and limited. I felt like I won the lotto when I switched to samsung and found the rich, and fast development that hit all their galaxy (and note) phones.

However, with our Neo we're back in Matrix territory again. . .waiting for the developers to cross the river and setup shop. It won't be as fast since the population of users is much smaller, probably won't be as rich either. Fortunately, this is only a watch ;)

As for Samsung leading any development surge, well, that would be great. but I suspect they will focus on ensuring the NEo has everything that is out there for other smart watches health bands and that's about it.

Moreover, if the way mucked up the S-Health/ Fitness for Gear approach is any model for how they will go forward, then we truly are going to be stuck in a mediocre app environment. I really hope they get better than that!

Still, I am enjoying what the Neo has now -- the (limited) sleep app, the telephony (great!), text messages and even S voice is pretty good for some searches and messaging for me (so far). Although more than once I have had to nervously say "cancel message" in a panic after looking at what my watch and S voice interpreted my words to be! :eek: )

Last edited:

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
I do accept polish_pat's point too. There will be a free calculator, more watch faces and more. . . everything. Hopefully many created by outside devs that we can side load. But waiting is really, really frustrating.

An OS is nothing without a community behind it. You can have the best, most efficient, smooth and gorgeous OS but its simply sucks if there is no one to code for it (aka windows mobile) This watch is Tizen's first serious market entry, so of course it sucks, for now, but remember that the king of mobile gadgets is behind it and it will eventually be something great. We are the pioneers of Tizen, we are paving the way for the future. Tizen is a good opportunity for any dev to have a fresh, new and especially easy revenue stream. I mean a guy coded a freakin simple calculator app and sold it for 1$. I'm sure that by the end of May, he will make at least a couple grand on something that any dev can code in under 1h. Same goes for any other app. If i were a dev, I'd jump on this opportunity of knowing this is a new emerging market that has a very serious bunch of backers (Open handset alliance) and within a year, there will be at least a couple hundreds of thousands of devices just screaming for 3rd party apps. And although a calculator might not be something that someone would spend a dollar on, there are many, many other simple apps that people would pay for. As an example, porting a T1 wrinting input that would allow us to write something directly on the watch

Reactions: markbc01

smeiff

Feb 27, 2012
Indianapolis
I'm developing a simple calculator app I'm going to release for free... I find it crazy people are charging for extremely simple apps! I can see charging $1-5 for an app that actually takes some work to develop, but comon, a watch face for $2?!

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
Its all about opportunity. I'm not ever going to spend 2$ on a watchface, but suply x - demand xxxxxxxxxxx and as long as it stays like that, there will be more and more basic apps for a premium price

smeiff

Feb 27, 2012
Indianapolis
Its all about opportunity. I'm not ever going to spend 2$ on a watchface, but suply x - demand xxxxxxxxxxx and as long as it stays like that, there will be more and more basic apps for a premium price

Yeah, makes sense... they have had a lot of people buy them already. So hey if you can succeed at it, I guess touche.

But I submitted my calculator! Hopefully it gets approved... first app I have ever submitted. See if it goes through...

Attachments

• 20140423_235919.jpg
    20140423_235919.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
Out of curiosity, whats your coding experience? I might get motivated enough to take a crack at tizen. I know the basic stuff on Eclipse and have a few good ideas i would like to try for the gear. Is it easier or harder than for Android?

smeiff

Feb 27, 2012
Indianapolis
Out of curiosity, whats your coding experience? I might get motivated enough to take a crack at tizen. I know the basic stuff on Eclipse and have a few good ideas i would like to try for the gear. Is it easier or harder than for Android?

I consider myself a .NET developer first and Java a lid becoming a close second although I still have a lot to learn. Tizen widgets use HTML and Javascript for the backend. So if you know HTML5 and J Query I would say it's easier than android. Hard part is limited auto complete and knowing the SDK. For the most part I avoided the sdk.

Helga Pataki

Apr 18, 2014
Toronto
I also submitted a calculator but I avoided their SDK completely
I don't know how Samsung responds :D they will probably not be happy :)

Attachments

• 20140425_003758-1.jpg
    20140425_003758-1.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 222

smeiff

Feb 27, 2012
Indianapolis
Yes, all you need to do is zip up the wgt file and post that. We can side load w/ sdb install.

Make it into a fun competition. Best calculator wins. ;-]

I'll see if I can post mine later tonight. Found a small bug with mine where you can stack functions... also going to be implementing advanced functions here soon.

I just zip the wgt file with any normal zip program?

atn0716

Aug 21, 2010
So you don't need the sdk to make app for this watch? I am not a programmer but I read that sdk is closed sources. I know closed source is restricted.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah, makes sense... they have had a lot of people buy them already. So hey if you can succeed at it, I guess touche.

But I submitted my calculator! Hopefully it gets approved... first app I have ever submitted. See if it goes through...

Some... yes. A calculator should be stock. What's with the attitudes on here today? If they are going to compete with android, they are going to want to develop a lot more apps.

P.s. And over the years, I have given them a couple of thousand. I've been very loyal to samsung.

You can sideload apps, it's just that there are no apps to sideload. I'm sure samsung will provide us with a a calculator just as they provided a sleep app which wasn't available before the weekend

An OS is nothing without a community behind it. You can have the best, most efficient, smooth and gorgeous OS but its simply sucks if there is no one to code for it (aka windows mobile) This watch is Tizen's first serious market entry, so of course it sucks, for now, but remember that the king of mobile gadgets is behind it and it will eventually be something great. We are the pioneers of Tizen, we are paving the way for the future. Tizen is a good opportunity for any dev to have a fresh, new and especially easy revenue stream. I mean a guy coded a freakin simple calculator app and sold it for 1$. I'm sure that by the end of May, he will make at least a couple grand on something that any dev can code in under 1h. Same goes for any other app. If i were a dev, I'd jump on this opportunity of knowing this is a new emerging market that has a very serious bunch of backers (Open handset alliance) and within a year, there will be at least a couple hundreds of thousands of devices just screaming for 3rd party apps. And although a calculator might not be something that someone would spend a dollar on, there are many, many other simple apps that people would pay for. As an example, porting a T1 wrinting input that would allow us to write something directly on the watch