Verizon LG G2 GPS Fix Solution

Search This thread

flipos12

Mar 20, 2013
Simcard related

It must be batches, my GPS is about flawless.

im been trying to use it with Tmobile; i've tried everything with no luck. whenever i put the original verizon sim, the gps locks even indoors; but when i switch to tmobile wont work no matter what i do. i'm selling this one to buy a tmobile version.:(

Farmstall

May 15, 2012
I just tried this and mine still doesn't work. I put a small piece of doubled up electrical tape between the fold in the connector on the phone and another piece under the contact on the back of the phone. Any change I did it wrong?

I also noticed that there was now a bit of a gap between the back and the sides of the phone right were the gps is, even though all the tabs snapped in. Has anyone else seen this?

Ainvar

Aug 25, 2007
NoVA

It could be that or they could have resolved the issue once they started getting a large number of devices back to resolve this issue.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

I just tried this and mine still doesn't work. I put a small piece of doubled up electrical tape between the fold in the connector on the phone and another piece under the contact on the back of the phone. Any change I did it wrong?

I also noticed that there was now a bit of a gap between the back and the sides of the phone right were the gps is, even though all the tabs snapped in. Has anyone else seen this?

I would make sure you didnt use too much tape and also make sure you have all the latches popped back into place properly. There is no bulge on the back of my phone or the other three phones I have done.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

This is great info! Could you clarify just a little what exactly you did with the electrical tape? Like put a tiny piece "under" the flex connector? I haven't actually taken mine apart yet so maybe this would be clearer then... Also is there a chance this would help my compass? I can't seem to get it calibrated and working.

It is pretty straight forward if you look at the pictures and take your time when cutting the tape and inserting it with gentleness. If I end up doing another G2 to fix this I will take some pictures of what I do. But I couldn't guess when that might be as the only other people I know that have a LG G2 dont want to do this as they don't want to start taking it apart in concern of warranty issues.

forgiven90

May 8, 2011
Google Pixel 7

I think you used a bit too much tape... I think we could get by with one layer of tape thickness. And yes I noticed the same gap problem going back together on mine. I just put a lot of pressure right in the edge (not over the GPS connector) and then it went together finally. I'm still thinking of removing a layer on mine... But it sounds like you have 3 layers there so in your situation I'd remove at least one and maybe two.

Steamer86

May 29, 2012
Baltimore
@Ainvar This is a unit from release, started with V10. I've had locks at 2 seconds cold start, longer at times in buildings, weather, ect. Never problems as others describe. Idk. Wish others were problem free.

Edit: Here is a first fix cold and one with AGPS fix after cold. Stone row house surrounded by water, in yard near wall, and cloudy day. VS980 24A original phone bought at release from VZW. No mods besides xposed and G2settings.
upeha5a2.jpg
7eha8egu.jpg

Last edited:

Edvard_Greig

May 7, 2007
Denver
Just did this with mine except instead of using tape I used a very tiny piece of an old credit card and slid it into the spot with a pair of tiny pliers (could have used tweezers too). I went from a weak indoor fix of 30sec-1min to a strong indoor fix in about 5-10sec

Raverrevolution

Sep 21, 2009
I really need to do this. I got my phone days after it first came out and my GPS does not want to detect anything, it's so frustrating!! Are the modder's phones still going strong?

EDIT: Just did this to my phone and nothing really that different. Pretty much the GPS is a bit better, but still pretty sh-tty as a whole. Google Maps still can't accurately figure out which direction I'm facing. I'm going to have to play with this more tomorrow. And FYI I used 1 layer of thickness.

EDIT 2: Did some tests outside on my way to work and it gets a fix MUCH faster!! Almost instant now so this mod definitely helped. Although here at work inside the building still nothing, but I guess that's expected. Magnetic direction is still borked. The compass on this phone is terrible.

Last edited:

Ainvar

Aug 25, 2007
NoVA
@Ainvar This is a unit from release, started with V10. I've had locks at 2 seconds cold start, longer at times in buildings, weather, ect. Never problems as others describe. Idk. Wish others were problem free.

Edit: Here is a first fix cold and one with AGPS fix after cold. Stone row house surrounded by water, in yard near wall, and cloudy day. VS980 24A original phone bought at release from VZW. No mods besides xposed and G2settings.
upeha5a2.jpg
7eha8egu.jpg

I wish I didn't have this issue but I did. Was able to easily fix it and am a happy camper again and so are the others I did this for.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Just did this with mine except instead of using tape I used a very tiny piece of an old credit card and slid it into the spot with a pair of tiny pliers (could have used tweezers too). I went from a weak indoor fix of 30sec-1min to a strong indoor fix in about 5-10sec

That is a very good idea, will have to try that if I do another G2 for someone. Right now I dont want to break what isn't broken to replace the small tiny piece of tape with this. But I have added it to my notes for the GPS fix as an alternate method.

Raverrevolution

Sep 21, 2009
I must be in dead zones inside houses and buildings because it won't budge anywhere inside to get a fix, but I just came back from lunch being outside and it takes seconds for a fix every single time even on cold boots.

Warning though, this does not fix the compass at all. This is quite possibly the worst compass ever. It's not even off by a little, it's a whole lot. Is the part detachable and easily accessible?

squish72

Nov 10, 2010
Tried spacing the antenna tab up and it didn't seem to make things much better. I modded the GPS.conf file and seemed to help. I lock fast and get quite a few satellites but it's almost always 30 to 60 feet off.

I also have compas issues and looking in the service manual it looks like it's on the bottom of the logic board

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398433592133.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398433592133.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,259

cckeeler

May 15, 2010
I have been going back and forth with Verizon and am now on my 4th G2. I can't do a single trip using navigation without getting a "GPS Signal Lost" message. Extremely frustrated. Is the only fix to tear into it?

ogrekane313

Apr 11, 2012
my gps was awesome on 11a and now on 24a it had me going all over the place kept saying make uturn after going the way it said cause the phone kept acting like i was facing a different direction

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

julesism

Aug 31, 2008
North Little Rock AR
GPS borked on 24A?

my gps was awesome on 11a and now on 24a it had me going all over the place kept saying make uturn after going the way it said cause the phone kept acting like i was facing a different direction

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yep, GPS was solid and fast before I made the jump to 24a. Now it takes an extremely long time to lock, if it locks at all. It'll sit on 2 or 3 out of 20ish. Seems to be worse on JC's CM11 build which is what I prefer. It's slow slow on the 24A stock roms\mods. I've tried the Assisted GPS Injector FREE app and the FasterGPS app with no luck. Hopefully it'll get sorted soon.

JJT211

Mar 13, 2012
I didn't have a choice about taking it back to Verizon. I bought it off of CL and it was probably one the original owner had replaced. So, returning it isn't an option for everybody. I tried many things that didn't work also, but this app did and it's why I shared.

I bought my Verizon g2 on swappa so I am in the same boat. I don't know what this magic app does but works for me. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I used to think the same thing but this is actually FALSE.

I bought my G2 off of Ebay and was having problems with the speaker port. So I just brought the phone into Verizon, they confirmed the speaker port wasnt working, looked up my account (im sure they can see whether or not I bought it directly from them) and they had a new phone mailed out to me, no questions asked.

I believe its because the phone is still less than a year old which is covered under LG's manufacturers warranty program not Verizons. Therefore its LG's money, not Verizon's. Why wouldnt Verizon go through the trouble of keeping their customers happy when it doesnt even cost them anything.

Now it might be different once the G2 hits the one year mark. And maybe I just got lucky as I didn't volunteer any info about the Ebay purchase, cuz I was already getting what I wanted anyway. Either way, you have nothing to lose and a brand new G2 to gain if you at least try.

kude87

Jan 2, 2013
Denver, CO
I used to think the same thing but this is actually FALSE.

I bought my G2 off of Ebay and was having problems with the speaker port. So I just brought the phone into Verizon, they confirmed the speaker port wasnt working, looked up my account (im sure they can see whether or not I bought it directly from them) and they had a new phone mailed out to me, no questions asked.

I believe its because the phone is still less than a year old which is covered under LG's manufacturers warranty program not Verizons. Therefore its LG's money, not Verizon's. Why wouldnt Verizon go through the trouble of keeping their customers happy when it doesnt even cost them anything.

Now it might be different once the G2 hits the one year mark. And maybe I just got lucky as I didn't volunteer any info about the Ebay purchase, cuz I was already getting what I wanted anyway. Either way, you have nothing to lose and a brand new G2 to gain if you at least try.

Did you have to make sure you weren't rooted? I've heard differing reports on Verizon taking a phone back if it says rooted or unrooted.

Sent from my LG G2

JJT211

Mar 13, 2012
[/COLOR]
Did you have to make sure you weren't rooted? I've heard differing reports on Verizon taking a phone back if it says rooted or unrooted.

Sent from my LG G2
It was more a mechanical problem with the headphone jack not completely seating in the speaker port. It would play music but the slightest nudge would disconnect the headphones. So my problem had nothing to do with whether it was rooted or not.

But just to be safe, I made sure I unrooted it before I brought it in.

makkrj

Jul 1, 2014
Blumenau
GPS Issue

On the phone itself there is a small copy flex like connector. If you look on the link that shows the two images for the inside of the phone and the inside of the battery cover, you will see on the phone the tiny little flex connector I am speaking about. With gentle tender care slide some electrical tape (fold it together sticky sides in) underneath the flex connector. This will help it keep a solid connection to the antennae plate on the battery cover. I have done this on 4 phones total one of them mine. All four VZW LG G2 phones had the same issue. Depending on exactly where you were at you would get a weak lock/signal when needing to use GPS on the phone. After this was done the signal is nice and strong and locks within 3-7 seconds for me (yes I have timed it). This is both indoors and outdoors. The G2 is able to lock onto GPS just like any of my other phones in the past and also the MotoX.

I haven't had to modify the GPS.conf from stock (this never worked for me anyways as it wasn't able to acquire a signal 99% of the time). GPS just now works.

I'm facing this problem with my g2, I have 6 more months of warranty, but once I have rooted my phone, my warranty has probably gone, right?
If so, I thinking in doing what you said to fix my gps. My ask is, this yt video (/watch?v=UdDJqFxpRy8) is somehow related with what you did?
Is this solution only related to the VZW version? Because mine is a Brazilian D805 version.

I have already tried editing my gps.conf file, but didn't work. Also tried Faster GPS and Fasterfix.
The GPS used to work in the past, but I don't use it frequently, so I don't know why and when it stoped working.

Sorry for my bad english.

1heffer

Mar 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'm facing this problem with my g2, I have 6 more months of warranty, but once I have rooted my phone, my warranty has probably gone, right?
If so, I thinking in doing what you said to fix my gps. My ask is, this yt video (/watch?v=UdDJqFxpRy8) is somehow related with what you did?
Is this solution only related to the VZW version? Because mine is a Brazilian D805 version.

I have already tried editing my gps.conf file, but didn't work. Also tried Faster GPS and Fasterfix.
The GPS used to work in the past, but I don't use it frequently, so I don't know why and when it stoped working.

Sorry for my bad english.
This fixes GPS, period. It's been working flawlessly for me for months.
As far as warranty goes, just go back to bone stock and you'll be fine. However, any replacement g2 will likely (probably) have the same GPS problems.

Steamer86

May 29, 2012
Baltimore
I tried this on one that works fine with no change in lock speed cold and thereafter. Some contacts case and phone must have bad QC.

Lycidias

Hello, I Put some Paper unter the contacts of my d802 like in the YouTube Video but I still have Bad GPS (4/20). my friend with the Same phone has 13/20fix

Can i send it to LG? I think warranty should be for problems like this. But now I have a small Crack in my backplate because i was too rough. Can i still send it in over warranty?
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So after logging a few hundred miles today, I think I have found a sweet spot with the gps.conf... I can't say if this will work for everyone, but with a relatively clear view of the sky I am consistently getting GPS locks >5 seconds, with 18-24 visible satellites and 10-16 satellite lock, resulting in an error margin of 10'-16' at a stand still and 16'-36' at 70mph. It is basically the 24A stock gps.conf file with a handful tweaks.

Attached is a FLASHABLE ZIP of the gps.conf I have been testing all day, it never failed me once and never lost a lock.

vs980_gps_conf_v4.zip

This has same Verizon and US specific settings, so if you are not using the vs980, or are using it on a different carrier or outside the US, or if the above one doesn't seem to help much for you, try the one from Mahdi... it is more generic and seems to work with multiple variants. Well testing it it seemed to be the most reliable and accurate one I found, but still suffered from occasional "lock loss" but very rarely. I tried to find a merger of the two but every attempt seemed to cause more problems than it was worth, it is also below (untouched from the Mahdi thread) and is a flashable ZIP as well.

mahdi_lg_gps_conf.zip

If you do not wish to flash them in recovery, you can extract the /system/etc/gps.conf file from the archive and replace your existing one.

If you test it out, PLEASE comment or PM me with your results and thoughts. Thanks!
    The GPS issue is actually a hardware issue. There is a springy connector on the phone that tries to keep a steady connection to the anttenae strip on the battery cover. It is on the side opposite of the SIM card.

Here is a picture from another XDA thread by JTNiggle that shows the insides of the VZW LG G2.

First picture shows the battery cover and you can see the small square copper connector for the GPS antennae on the right hand side. Second picture shows on the right side of the phone above the battery the little springy copper connector for the GPS sensor on the phone. These are the two areas I used very tiny pieces of electrical tape on to make a solid connection. This has 100% resolved my issue with GPS signals and I have been sporting this change for over a week now. I get a signal lock between 3-7 seconds depending on where I am at (inside or outside) and the days weather. I have done this on a total of 4 phones now and all four phones no longer have GPS signal lock issue. Just make sure you use a non metal tool to pop the battery cover off so it doesn't scratch up the shiny silver bezel strip.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

I have been going back and forth with Verizon and the GPS on my G2. I actually have my third replacement phone waiting for me when I get home. The last rep I spoke with said that it is a known issue that is to be fixed with an upcoming update. I would assume that update to be 4.4.2 but I haven't heard whether or not the GPS is any better in the leaked OTA. He did tell me that they have received the update from LG but it was currently being tested.

I honestly don't think all the software updates in the world would fix this problem. It is a physical hardware issue that is causing the problem.
    Optimal gps.conf file

Hello Guys,

I've suffered from some of the GPS problems for a couple of days now and it led me to edit the original gps.conf file from the LP 5.0.1.
    It now locks super fast (<10 sec cold) and <30 sec after full gps xtra reset.

I hope it will work for you too.

(change .txt to .conf and set with 0644 permission and owner:gps)
    GPS.CONF - Part 1

First off, some good tips and pointers are here and here

This is my part 1 posting... it is just information and looking for feedback at the moment, testing and custom gps.conf will come later in part 2.

So I have found some "inconsistencies" in the GPS.conf file from stock to other android ROMs... of all the AOSP/CM/AOKP builds I checked, only ParanoidAndroid is running the stock GPS.conf, all others have some inconsistencies, some of which are inconsequential, others I don't know, here are major inconsistencies I found...

XTRA_SERVER entries - QUERY specifically set to 0 in all non-stock ROMs, in stock there is no settings (meaning it should be 0) but the servers are listed. Query flag should be inconsequential, it is noted as a test flag, but XTRA has to do with timing and A-GPS data, servers are consistent across all files. Interesting that some other devices point the first few server entries to area specific pool.ntp.org time servers instead of the defaults.

NTP_SERVER - most non-stock ROMs use time.gpsonextra.net for time settings, should work fine, but using a closer host is better, PA and Stock use north-america.pool.ntp.org, using this server (or us.pool.ntp.org) should speed up GPS lock, but either entry should work, multiple entries could speed up the lock as well, but no G2 GPS.conf I looked at had multiple entries but several other devices use multiple entries based on location.

DEBUG_LEVEL - Set to 2 or 3 in most non-stock ROMs, 5 in PA & Stock. This shouldn't matter, I think, not sure how the phone uses the DEBUG messages though.

CAPABILITIES - this setting is all over the place, stock is 0x31, meaning SCHEDULING, ON_DEMAND_TIME, and GEOFENCE/ULP are active, many custom roms have this set to 0x37, adding MSB and MSA, some to 0x33, adding MSB, and AOKP using 0x17 (all except GEOFENCE/ULP) (. I can't really find an explanation of what these do or mean, but capabilities seems significant... If anyone more familiar could chime in here I would appreciate it.

SUPL - These settings deal with Secure User Plane Location architecture, it is used to supplement data information on satellites, basically to get the timing and positioning information via IP rather than the satellite data stream, it requires a data connection. This is disabled in the stock profiles, but enabled in most AOSP/CM ROMs, as it should be, interesting to note that AOKP has this set to v1 where all other ROMs use v2. Some ROMs use port 7275 and others 7276. It is said this will not work without the file /system/etc/SuplRootCert being in place with a valid certificate, interesting that some ROMs I looked at did not have this file. You can create your own with these instructions. I need to do some more research here though, as it is noted that TLS is not needed anymore in some forums. BTW, SUPL directly conflicts with C2K PDE and both should not be enabled simultaneously.

LPP_PROFILE - In stock this is 3 (Enable both LPP_User_Plane and LPP_Control_Plane) and in AOSP/CM is 0 (Enable RRLP on LTE). I had a hard time finding what this does, but on several Reddit threads it was noted that this is important on the G2 and should be set to 3 for all ROMs to get consistent GPS signal.

NMEA_PROVIDER - Stock is 1 (Modem Processor), AOSP/CM is 0 (Application Processor). This seems important, the NMEA data stream is the positioning information provided to apps.

It is also interesting to note that ACCURACY_THRES is not defined in any G2 device, meaning all messages will be processed irregardless of accuracy, which could in theory throw off GPS position for poor signal or accuracy references, on many devices this is set and can be all over the place, from 50 to 5000.

Any comments, corrections, or more info on this information could be great.

Anyway, I will be doing some testing with these values and trying to make a better, faster, smarter gps.conf file over the next few days... I will let you all know and pass on any information I get.
    Just opened up the back of my phone and did the cardboard paper up the gold spring tab trick and WOW what a difference. I'm getting a lock as soon as I'm done typing the address in. Using Google Maps, no GPS app installed. I think doing that may be the only "true" fix.

Are you talking about this gold spring tab (picture is inverted)?

made8atu.jpg