Weird problem with modems: "Unknown" baseband, IMEI, etc.

Search This thread

RODLON

May 26, 2012
Hi!

Resume:
My note has some weird problem with the modems. I'm getting "Unknown" baseband, modem verison, phone number, IMEI etc. with all the modems I tried except one, which shows the correct IMEI and modem version but still not working(I can even see the mobile networks with that one, but I it doesn't connect and gives me "Refresing SIM data" messages).

I always have been using custom roms(only TW) and updating my note to the latest version and I never had a problem.
One day, some months after the last rom update, started to lose the phone network conection and I was getting pop-ups with "Refreshing SIM data"(was very annoying because that was turning on the phone screen every few minutes). Sometimes I had phone network and sometimes I hadn't. The disconnections became more frequently. The phone also started to eat up the free space for apps, so I had to remove several apps to install or update even a small one.
So I decided to change to a different ROM to see if that fixes both problems, but I got the actual problem.

I was in AllianceRom v3 JB when that happened.
I flashed this AryaMod 5.5 JB following their instructions and I got this weird problem. In the "About phone" says that the Baseband version, IMEI, IMEI SV, Network and My phone number are "Unknown". I can't even search for mobile networks because it says "Insert SIM card" when I try to open the Mobile networks menu. Tehre are no signal bars, only a "denied" icon on the status bar.
I tested all JB modems and some from ICS from the "all modems" thread, but I was getting the same "Unknown" things in each one, except the XXLSO, where the Baseband version, IMEI and IMEI SV were okey. I could also find mobile networks with this modem, and the "Refreshing SIM data" thing returned, but it was not possible to connect to a network. With this one, there aresignal bars, but they are empty.
I flashed the AllianceRom and even the old ICS rom I had before, but the problem persisted, even with the modems they came with.
Now I'm on the latest Samsung rom(LT4), unmodified and flashed with odin and the problem persist.

I found this old thread. His initial problem is very similar to mine, but they don't know what caused it nor how to fix it.
I have also found something about corruped IMEIs that you can fix doing something with the ADB and restoring EFS folder, but I think that is not my case because I can see my original IMEI with the XXLSO modem (and I my EFS folder looks OK, anyway I have no backup of that).

I don't expect to get a step-by-step tutorial about how to fix this, but I hope somebody can put me in the right direction. I will post the solution if I find one!

Last edited:
A

AndroidSlave

What are the first 4 digits of your imei

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A

AndroidSlave

Maybe this is a stupid question, but have you tried re-seating your Sim card, or even a different Sim?

RODLON

May 26, 2012
I tried both. Also I have been using the SIM with another phone for weeks and works fine. Tried to take out the battery and wait few minutes and other "stupid" things like re-flash a ROM, re-wipe all, etc..

Maybe it's the programed obsolescence, you can use the Note as PDA but if you want a phone, go and buy another...

A

AndroidSlave

@ThaiDai or @nokiamodeln91 I believe knows of a way to fix this if its an EFS issue...but you don't have a developer imei

Did you have an old efs backup from when u first rooted your phone?

Last edited:

nokiamodeln91

Jun 6, 2012
@ThaiDai or @nokiamodeln91 I believe knows of a way to fix this if its an EFS issue...but you don't have a developer imei

If it was a corrupted IMEI issue then it should not come back when the xxlso modem is flashed.. And also not sure why it goes to unknown when any other modem is used.. Could there be any physical damage to the sim tray? Dropped the phone?

Reactions: treacherous_hawk

RODLON

May 26, 2012
I have no backup of efs... I had one "nandroid" but deleted it after everything was okey...
I could delete the efs folder, so this unknown problem will turn a known one :victory:

I dropped the phone a very few times, maybe in one of those something broke a little and has increased more with the usage? (the disconnections from the network became spontaneus and progressively).

I found this other thread, I could try the same but I can't find the original GB firmware, every link I find is in hotfile.

RODLON

May 26, 2012
I found a efs backup from may 2012, probably auto-created when first installed ICS.
I flashed the stock GB rom and restored it following this tutorial for my .tar.gz file, but didn't work, so the device may be lost. I only have 3 more backups: boot.img, data.ext4.tar and system.ext4.tar. I guess they are useless to fix this...

Thay you for you support!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If it was a corrupted IMEI issue then it should not come back when the xxlso modem is flashed.. And also not sure why it goes to unknown when any other modem is used.. Could there be any physical damage to the sim tray? Dropped the phone?