Okay to upgrade from 4.1.2?

Search This thread

Rich3077

Dec 22, 2011
New to this phone and I am running 4.1.2 there is a system update a 4.3 that's already downloaded and ready to install but I wanted to make sure the update didn't install any new locks on my phone before I accept. I plan on rooting soon.

Thanks
Rich

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
Uuum hold on. If you plan to root your phone there is no point in allowing the OTA which does install KNOX. Root now and save that extra trouble.

doubledragon5

Jun 29, 2011
Lewisville, Tx
Uuum hold on. If you plan to root your phone there is no point in allowing the OTA which does install KNOX. Root now and save that extra trouble.

If the poster wants to install 4.3, then accept the update, root, then flash your 4.3 rom.. This way you won't have all those reboot, lock up issues, that people keep on having.. Plus most devs do not have knox filex in their roms.. And you won't have to flash the wifi fix..

flashred

Jan 24, 2011
I Would Accept It.

If the poster wants to install 4.3, then accept the update, root, then flash your 4.3 rom.. This way you won't have all those reboot, lock up issues, that people keep on having.. Plus most devs do not have knox filex in their roms.. And you won't have to flash the wifi fix..

If I was in this position, I would accept the update as doubledragon5 said and move forward with root, etc. I have 4.1.2 right now and want the 4.3 update, but I'm rooted and trying to figure out how to unravel this to get to 4.3 myself.

doubledragon5

Jun 29, 2011
Lewisville, Tx
If I was in this position, I would accept the update as doubledragon5 said and move forward with root, etc. I have 4.1.2 right now and want the 4.3 update, but I'm rooted and trying to figure out how to unravel this to get to 4.3 myself.

If your rooted, go back to bone stock MC2 like I have mentioned in a few other threads. accept the 4.3 udate from sprint, re-root using the tookit, then flash away...

flashred

Jan 24, 2011

If your rooted, go back to bone stock MC2 like I have mentioned in a few other threads. accept the 4.3 udate from sprint, re-root using the tookit, then flash away...

Thank you! You're the first to shed some light on this for me. To get back to stock using the toolkit, would I need to first flash stock recovery, then Stock Firmware, then bone stock MC2? Afterwards boot in, accept the update, then re-root using the toolkit.

Stephanie95

Jun 20, 2010
Thank you! You're the first to shed some light on this for me. To get back to stock using the toolkit, would I need to first flash stock recovery, then Stock Firmware, then bone stock MC2? Afterwards boot in, accept the update, then re-root using the toolkit.

I'm wondering the same thing. But if we root then accept the OTA won't that enable the knox counter? So that if we now, "flash away".... won't every flash be counted?
Shouldn't we root, then install the custom roms without the knox? Or do the custom roms also include the knox counter tripping mechanism?

I would like to know how this works also.

Thanks.

Reactions: flashred
I just recently came from 4.1.2 rooted running a deoxided stock rom. I didn't do the OTA update to 4.3. I used the TeamRejects Deoxidexed rooted deknoxed stock rom, the updated MK4 modem, and the WiFi fix. It took about 15-20 minutes to get everything done. I needed to download Odin too for WiFi fix. I didn't run the WiFi fix till I knew there was an issue.

Not much of complaint, but I wish there was a kernel like Perseus for TouchWix based roms. The only one I found was Devil Kernel, but for whatever reason, wasn't stable with TeamReject's ROM. I didn't really care for his custom Kernel ajdustment manager and STweaks didn't work with it at all. Ideally, I prefer a stock rooted deknoxed deoxidized bare bones rom (just phone, contacts, google play) so I have a working phone and can access Google Play so I can install the apps I prefer. The closest I found was Classic Rom but it freezes on initial rom load; Plus, I'm not a fan of the colors and the few things he choose to include.

Reactions: flashred

flashred

Jan 24, 2011
Stock 4.3 Deodexed, deknoxed, Rooted Rom Available?

I just recently came from 4.1.2 rooted running a deoxided stock rom. I didn't do the OTA update to 4.3. I used the TeamRejects Deoxidexed rooted deknoxed stock rom, the updated MK4 modem, and the WiFi fix. It took about 15-20 minutes to get everything done. I needed to download Odin too for WiFi fix. I didn't run the WiFi fix till I knew there was an issue.

Not much of complaint, but I wish there was a kernel like Perseus for TouchWix based roms. The only one I found was Devil Kernel, but for whatever reason, wasn't stable with TeamReject's ROM. I didn't really care for his custom Kernel ajdustment manager and STweaks didn't work with it at all. Ideally, I prefer a stock rooted deknoxed deoxidized bare bones rom (just phone, contacts, google play) so I have a working phone and can access Google Play so I can install the apps I prefer. The closest I found was Classic Rom but it freezes on initial rom load; Plus, I'm not a fan of the colors and the few things he choose to include.

So, you came exactly where I did except you with a different ROM. I would like to get from my 4.1.2 rooted up to 4.3 rooted stock,deodexed, deknoxed if at all possible.

doubledragon5

Jun 29, 2011
Lewisville, Tx

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have been busy with work, and family things.Use billards return to full stock with counter reset. It installs everything including recovery, boot loader,firemware etc... Then set up your phone, when prompt accept the ota update.. Once done retoot, and flash what ever 4.3 rom you want.. The knox counter will still be there, but if you need a trip back to Sprint, go back to Full MC2 stock, knox counter will no longer be there.. Most 4.3 room do not include the Knox files so no worries there.

So, you came exactly where I did except you with a different ROM. I would like to get from my 4.1.2 rooted up to 4.3 rooted stock,deodexed, deknoxed if at all possible.

Sounds like it. The odd part, I have been able to flash Reject's stock deoxidezed deknoxed rom with no problem. I tried to flash Classic 3, but it froze on Classic's initial loading page (the one after the Samsung boot loader). I had issues another rom, but turned out it was for the international model; I wasn't paying attention where I was in the forums.

If you do what I did, you'll need to flash modem update using Odin on the PC. So, you may need to download Odin.

---------- Post added at 05:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 AM ----------

Depending on what you like to do, you may find 4.3 MK4 more limiting, espcially on the TouchWiz side. AOSP probably more mod friendly at this point. From what I've been able to find, there is only one custom kernal for 4.3 TouchWiz which is Devil's Kernal. It's solid, but my phone was unstable. Not sure if the phone since I may have taken out something it used when I was trying to debloat the phone. Didn't care for his Kernel Tweak manager. Neither the stock or devil's kernal supports Stweaks. Neither I could figure out how to change the boat loading animation.

I have nothing against AOSP projects. I like them. But as far as I know, none support the Spen, which I like to use with web browsers. Don't use the Samnsung Spen apps. Just wasn't that impressed with them, but I see how they can be useful. Although, SketchPro is really nice with it. I just find TouchWiz is more than sufficient for my needs and stock isn't as quirky.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm wondering the same thing. But if we root then accept the OTA won't that enable the knox counter? So that if we now, "flash away".... won't every flash be counted?
    Shouldn't we root, then install the custom roms without the knox? Or do the custom roms also include the knox counter tripping mechanism?

I would like to know how this works also.

Thanks.