[Q] HELP!!! Rom Update Utility Error 155

Search This thread

TR3Y

Mar 5, 2008
sorry for the confusion, you seem to be in really good hands try the fix @cschmitt posted above

I didn't get confused, man. I'm just new to this. Just recently got the M7. Just trying to figure stuff out. I suppose I could go and change cid back even though I do not know how it got changed in the first place.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
I didn't get confused, man. I'm just new to this. Just recently got the M7. Just trying to figure stuff out. I suppose I could go and change cid back even though I do not know how it got changed in the first place.

I wasn't really referring to you per say ...I just meant I was not aware others had the cid error and @cschmitt had posted a link for you

cschmitt

Feb 24, 2012

Since the phone is LOCKED and S-ON I doubt you changed the CID (because it's not possible to change it in that state.)

You mentioned you didn't want to root the phone, so you have two options:

1. Stay on 4.3 and enjoy what you have.

2. Unlock the bootloader (which wipes all data on the phone), install a custom recovery, install the OTA manually.

Reactions: TR3Y

TR3Y

Mar 5, 2008
Since the phone is LOCKED and S-ON I doubt you changed the CID (because it's not possible to change it in that state.)

2. Unlock the bootloader (which wipes all data on the phone), install a custom recovery, install the OTA manually.

I guess I will just be sticking with Jelly Bean then; nothing wrong with Jelly Bean. Unless HTC releases an official RUU, then I will just stay clean. Thanks for helping.

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
Thanks for the info ... I know I downloaded the RUU when it first come out and had @nkk71 decrypt the rom zip for me ... he mentioned that it had errors during the decrypting but nothing specific, just that he fixed it. Flashing the rom.zip alone fails on all attempts. I was s-off when i flashed the RUU.exe so i don't really know if it's a signature problem or not. The Decrypted version i uploaded worked fine on my 2nd One (s-off of coarse). But I have had reports of it not flashing also ...so I'm really not sure what to think.

hey mate, actually ruu decryption went just fine, i was just using a bad key on the first attempt :rolleyes:, but can confirm that the firmware was a binary match to 4.18.502.7 not 4.20.502.1 as mentioned in the original encrypted android-info.txt
Code:
modelid: PN0711000
modelid: PN0713000
modelid: PN0712000
modelid: PN0714000
modelid: PN0710000
modelid: PN071****
cidnum: 11111111
cidnum: HTC__***
cidnum: CWS__001
cidnum: H3G__***
cidnum: O2___***
cidnum: ORANG***
cidnum: TELNZ001
cidnum: OPTUS001
cidnum: T-MOB***
cidnum: TELST001
cidnum: VODAP***
cidnum: BM___001
cidnum: BS_US001
cidnum: GLOBA001
cidnum: ROGER001
cidnum: TELUS001
cidnum: TIM__*** 
[B]mainver: 4.20.502.1[/B]
btype:1
aareport:1
DelCache:1
hbootpreupdate:3

Reactions: clsA

TR3Y

Mar 5, 2008
hey mate, actually ruu decryption went just fine, i was just using a bad key on the first attempt :rolleyes:, but can confirm that the firmware was a binary match to 4.18.502.7 not 4.20.502.1 as mentioned in the original encrypted android-info.txt
Code:
cidnum: ORANG***
cidnum: TELNZ001
cidnum: OPTUS001
cidnum: T-MOB***
cidnum: TELST001
cidnum: VODAP***
cidnum: BM___001
cidnum: BS_US001
cidnum: GLOBA001
cidnum: ROGER001
cidnum: TELUS001
cidnum: TIM__*** 
[B]mainver: 4.20.502.1[/B]
btype:1
aareport:1
DelCache:1
hbootpreupdate:3

Interesting... Why does the RUU say that it is 4.20.502.1 then? Maybe it just is not matching up. The main version and the binary might have to match up in the firmware in order for a rom flash to occur.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida

We are just trying to figure out why some can flash the RUU while other seem to fail ... I've had quite a few complaints about the AT&T 4.4.2 RUU failing on step 1/5. It happens mostly to people that are not s-off and it even happens sometimes with s-off and the decrypted rom.zip ...it's just weird

TR3Y

Mar 5, 2008
We are just trying to figure out why some can flash the RUU while other seem to fail ... I've had quite a few complaints about the AT&T 4.4.2 RUU failing on step 1/5. It happens mostly to people that are not s-off and it even happens sometimes with s-off and the decrypted rom.zip ...it's just weird
It either failed or hung on 5% for me. Though, a quick look is showing me I might not have got the whole file. it might have paused at 1.14 GB and not the whole 1.5 GB. I shall try when I get home from work since I put the whole RUU on a flash drive.

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Interesting... Why does the RUU say that it is 4.20.502.1 then? Maybe it just is not matching up. The main version and the binary might have to match up in the firmware in order for a rom flash to occur.
Can't say, I only did a binary compare on the firmware from the 4.18.502.7 OTA and the supposedly 4.20.502.1 RUU... and everything was a match. Don't have the picture anymore, sorry.

Also can't help much there, only thing I can say, was trying the 4.19.401.9 RUU.EXE and encrypted ruu.zip (extracted from the temp folder) for more than a few times, with some really weird errors, until the guy changed PCs... though he tried a USB2 port on the same PC, etc. etc. etc. he finally got it working by using a different "cleaner" (not so many programs, antivirus, firewall).
PS: He was S-On.

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

It either failed or hung on 5% for me. Though, a quick look is showing me I might not have got the whole file. it might have paused at 1.14 GB and not the whole 1.5 GB. I shall try when I get home from work since I put the whole RUU on a flash drive.

check MD5 :)

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida

a corrupt or incomplete download would certainly complicate things ;)
MD5 check your downloads

TR3Y

Mar 5, 2008
a corrupt or incomplete download would certainly complicate things ;)
MD5 check your downloads

335837k.jpg

2lurh9v.png

Looks like I am good to go here ;)

Last edited:

TR3Y

Mar 5, 2008
Can't say, I only did a binary compare on the firmware from the 4.18.502.7 OTA and the supposedly 4.20.502.1 RUU... and everything was a match. Don't have the picture anymore, sorry.

Also can't help much there, only thing I can say, was trying the 4.19.401.9 RUU.EXE and encrypted ruu.zip (extracted from the temp folder) for more than a few times, with some really weird errors, until the guy changed PCs... though he tried a USB2 port on the same PC, etc. etc. etc. he finally got it working by using a different "cleaner" (not so many programs, antivirus, firewall).
PS: He was S-On.

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

check MD5 :)

2lurh9v.png

335837k.jpg

everything seems to be checking out correctly here.

Last edited:

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
everything seems to be checking out correctly here.

and you're running an EXE on mac? (sorry i'm not really following your thread, i apologize, but you're in very good hands with @cschmitt and @clsA)

the error the other guy was getting with 4.19.401.9 encrypted ruu.zip was:
Code:
C:\adb fastboot flash zip ruu_4.19.401.9.zip
invalid sparse file format at header magi
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 92833182 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
sending sparse 'zip' (1478684KB)...
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 92833182 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
I don't know if it would have gone through, but after the above i CTRL-C'd out.

after changing to a different PC, he used the RUU.EXE and all went through just fine.
it could have been anything from the language setup on his PC, the ports, antivirus, etc. etc.
(the RUU.EXE would just exist without any progress, and the ruu.zip gave the above error)

Good Luck :)

TR3Y

Mar 5, 2008
and you're running an EXE on mac? (sorry i'm not really following your thread, i apologize, but you're in very good hands with @cschmitt and @clsA)

the error the other guy was getting with 4.19.401.9 encrypted ruu.zip was:
Code:
C:\adb fastboot flash zip ruu_4.19.401.9.zip
invalid sparse file format at header magi
sending sparse 'zip' (1478684KB)...
I don't know if it would have gone through, but after the above i CTRL-C'd out.

after changing to a different PC, he used the RUU.EXE and all went through just fine.
it could have been anything from the language setup on his PC, the ports, antivirus, etc. etc.
(the RUU.EXE would just exist without any progress, and the ruu.zip gave the above error)

Good Luck :)

this is my work computer, sorry. i have a windows 7 laptop at home that I have been using for the RUU. I wouldn't use my mac for running RUU, that would be silly...
Also, interesting. everything seems to match up with the encrypted ruu.zip... I don't see how the error would happen.

Last edited:

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Hello everyone,

I have an unlocked AT&T HTC One (M7) that I am using on T-Mobile.
I am not rooted (I do not wish to be rooted at this time), and I have managed to get up to version 4.3 by use of the HTC RUU, but when I try to get to android version 4.4, the RUU shows error 155. How would I fix this?

Help Please

-TR3Y

it doesn't appear to.
2yo4igi.jpg

this is my work computer, sorry. i have a windows 7 laptop at home that I have been using for the RUU. I wouldn't use my mac for running RUU, that would be silly...
Also, interesting. everything seems to match up with the encrypted ruu.zip... I don't see how the error would happen.

It wouldnt be silly, under the right circumstances I guess.

But, I've just quickly read through your thread, and say you have an unlocked phone (I assume you mean SIM-unlocked, not bootloader unlocked) due to above quotes..... then why can't you install the OTA (either manually or using update on your phone?)
I couldn't see the video you posted, says it's private so didnt see what the error was.

pauley

May 28, 2010
FWIW my One was s-off and still couldn't successfully run the RUU from androidruu mentioned in this thread either until after I did a manual flash of the OTA zip. It was stuck on 3.18.502.7 but not anymore :)

sharksfan7

Aug 7, 2011
San Diego
I've been running into similar issues trying to flash the decrypted 4.18.502.7 RUU on my One. I'm S-OFF & unlocked bootloader. Originally I tried flashing the ruu.zip after deleting the HBOOT & recovery images. When that failed I tried flashing the full decrypted zip, but that failed also with the same error. I verified md5 before every flash.

O:\Android\HTC_One\RUU>fastboot flash zip ruu.zip
target reported max download size of 1526722560 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magi
sending sparse 'zip' (0 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.156s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) zip header checking...
(bootloader) shift signature_size for header checking...
FAILED (remote: 32 header error)
finished. total time: 0.359s

Was planning on trying with the signed exe this weekend but after reading through this, I'm thinking that may not work either.

So if I were to run the 3.17.502.3 RUU then take the OTA, would that leave me with the exact same setup as the 4.18.502.7 RUU? Same ROM, same radio, same firmware?

TR3Y

Mar 5, 2008
It wouldnt be silly, under the right circumstances I guess.

But, I've just quickly read through your thread, and say you have an unlocked phone (I assume you mean SIM-unlocked, not bootloader unlocked) due to above quotes..... then why can't you install the OTA (either manually or using update on your phone?)
I couldn't see the video you posted, says it's private so didnt see what the error was.

Yeah. I meant SIM unlocked. When the owner of the phone chooses to unlock the phone. The individual is no longer allowed to receive updates from the original carrier (in this case AT&T). It was the same way with my One X (which I did get 4.2.2 on because it was HTC official). I am hoping the next HTC update (Sense 6 KitKat) will make it to RUU format. Until then, I am happy with 4.3 Jelly Bean.

I edited my first post to avoid the confusion.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Other's have reported that, it's seems to be an issue with the update script checking the CID.

Does your fastboot screen show CID CWS__001 and OS 3.17.502.3 ?

I don't remember changing the CID, unless unlocking it did that. That won't wipe my phone if I do that, right?

sorry for the confusion, you seem to be in really good hands try the fix @cschmitt posted above

Thanks for the info ... I know I downloaded the RUU when it first come out and had @nkk71 decrypt the rom zip for me ... he mentioned that it had errors during the decrypting but nothing specific, just that he fixed it. Flashing the rom.zip alone fails on all attempts. I was s-off when i flashed the RUU.exe so i don't really know if it's a signature problem or not. The Decrypted version i uploaded worked fine on my 2nd One (s-off of coarse). But I have had reports of it not flashing also ...so I'm really not sure what to think.

Code: