Wireless HDMI dongle

Search This thread

drb01

Apr 5, 2013
London
Hi does anyone know of a wireless HDMI dongle that works with the GPad for home use? I have a slightly odd setup so will need to do the sound via the headphone socket (and don't want audio delay). In theory HDMI 1.3 should work it out. Does anyone know of a dongle that is worth trying? There seems precious little information out there...

Impromark

Nov 28, 2013
Calgary
Hi does anyone know of a wireless HDMI dongle that works with the GPad for home use? I have a slightly odd setup so will need to do the sound via the headphone socket (and don't want audio delay). In theory HDMI 1.3 should work it out. Does anyone know of a dongle that is worth trying? There seems precious little information out there...

Not wireless, but I bought a cheapo slimport off of eBay and it works just fine... Lots of Miracast options there too, but I can't make a recommendation.

Mark

Reactions: drb01

drb01

Apr 5, 2013
London
Not wireless, but I bought a cheapo slimport off of eBay and it works just fine... Lots of Miracast options there too, but I can't make a recommendation.

Mark

Thanks, which slimport did you get? That would certainly be the safer option for my purposes (and cheaper!). There seem to be some costing £7 and some costing £30. I have no idea if it is a passive device, in which case they should all be the same, or if there is actually some electronics in the slimport in which case perhaps best to get a more expensive one.

The miracast options on ebay all have very mixed reviews...

Last edited:

Impromark

Nov 28, 2013
Calgary
I got one of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6FT-Slimport...DA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item338b30046e&_uhb=1

I specifically got that one because I'd rather have my charging plugin at the BACK of the TV instead of tangled up in the front. Most Slimport adapters have the USB end and the charging end within inches of each other.

I find it works just fine, and the G-Pad will also let you do other stuff while the video is mirrored on the screen (yet another thing the iPad! doesn't do!). The only thing that doesn't work well is charging while plugged into the TV - as it's designed for phone use, it's only a trickle / 500mA charge (if that), which will keep the G-Pad going but won't charge appreciably (or at all) while you're outputting to the TV. Better just to use it only for the TV and keep your regular charger for direct use.

Mark

drb01

Apr 5, 2013
London
I got one of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6FT-Slimport...DA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item338b30046e&_uhb=1

I specifically got that one because I'd rather have my charging plugin at the BACK of the TV instead of tangled up in the front. Most Slimport adapters have the USB end and the charging end within inches of each other.

I find it works just fine, and the G-Pad will also let you do other stuff while the video is mirrored on the screen (yet another thing the iPad! doesn't do!). The only thing that doesn't work well is charging while plugged into the TV - as it's designed for phone use, it's only a trickle / 500mA charge (if that), which will keep the G-Pad going but won't charge appreciably (or at all) while you're outputting to the TV. Better just to use it only for the TV and keep your regular charger for direct use.

Mark

Thanks - may well go for that, but hope to get some wireless feedback too before I take the plunge

-MX-

Dec 23, 2009
Have you considered a chromecast then headphones from the tv/stereo?

Sent from my AOKP GS4

drb01

Apr 5, 2013
London

Sent from my AOKP GS4

Happy to go with either miracast or chromcast so long as it does what it is supposed to do, the video quality is good (eg for watching netflix on my 1080p projector) and i can use the headphone socket on the LG Gpad (not the amp as it doesnt have hdmi). But I suspect miracast is better for netflix?

drb01

Apr 5, 2013
London
Happy to go with either miracast or chromcast so long as it does what it is supposed to do, the video quality is good (eg for watching netflix on my 1080p projector) and i can use the headphone socket on the LG Gpad (not the amp as it doesnt have hdmi). But I suspect miracast is better for netflix?

Does anyone have any miracast experience? The reviews on Amazon are shocking and I can't believe it is that bad...

5warafat1

Nov 17, 2012
My g pad works well with the official samsung allshare cast hub. So the tablets screen gets monitored on the tv.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

drb01

Apr 5, 2013
London
My g pad works well with the official samsung allshare cast hub. So the tablets screen gets monitored on the tv.

Thanks. They seem to get much better reviews on amazon, but at £50 they also seem to cost double. I guess one has to pay up for this! Is there much of a lag? Not worried about gaming, but more about lipsync with the headphone output on the LG against the video...

5warafat1

Nov 17, 2012
I brought mine of ebay for £40. It does have some lag but not too much lag and so it good for internet and look at images. Games also work but u might notice some lag 1/10 Times.

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Free mobile app

drb01

Apr 5, 2013
London
I got one of these:

Mark

Well in the end I "played safe" and got a CAMAC SlimPort (rathern than miracast). I plugged it into my 1080p projector but nothing comes out. Do I have to set anything on the LG? It is running LG's Kitkat. I note that if I try to set the Miracast toggle, then it wont allow it saying there is an external monitor connected.

drb01

Apr 5, 2013
London
Well in the end I "played safe" and got a CAMAC SlimPort (rathern than miracast). I plugged it into my 1080p projector but nothing comes out. Do I have to set anything on the LG? It is running LG's Kitkat. I note that if I try to set the Miracast toggle, then it wont allow it saying there is an external monitor connected.

For anyone that is interested, I finally got this going. Had to use a different HDMI cable. Video quality on netflix is pretty good, although it is a bit jerky. Guess I will have to watch a whole film to really see how it goes. The sound out of the headphone socket is definitely delayed and there is an easily noticeable lipsync problem with it, but I would say it is tolerable...

Canine363

Mar 19, 2014
It's not cheap but from what I have read the Amazon Fire TV and Allcast could have screen monitoring with sound remaining with the device casting the screen. I haven't been able to locate where I read this though.

Xenosis

Apr 12, 2011
Netflix works very well using the ~$50 Belking HDMI 2.0 Miracast Dongle. Virtually flawless playback.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Mark
    I got one of these:

Mark

Sent from my AOKP GS4