[Q] Which Visual Studios should be used for compiling for Windows RT?

Search This thread
Apr 13, 2014
Hello,

I've been following xda and using a lot of the already compiled Windows RT apps for a little while now. I've decided I'd like to try my hand at compiling a few especially getting libFFI fully functional with Python on ARM. The only problem is when I try to follow no2chem's guide here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096820. I can't find a version of Visual Studios that has the ARM cross compilers. I base this on the fact that my install doesn't have "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\x86_ARM" nor "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Platforms\ARM" exist after installation. I've tried both digging up Visual Studio 2012 Express and trying the new Visual Studios 2013 Express (Windows Desktop versions)

Would anyone be kind enough to provide me a link to the proper Visual studios to use? I hope I don't need a MSDN subscription to get the proper beta or developer preview.

Thank you so very much. I really am grateful for all the wonderful things you people have done for Windows RT. It really makes the RT so much more useful.

Bridgeofstraws

acrossland

Mar 6, 2013
Maynard, MA
Hello,

I've been following xda and using a lot of the already compiled Windows RT apps for a little while now. I've decided I'd like to try my hand at compiling a few especially getting libFFI fully functional with Python on ARM. The only problem is when I try to follow no2chem's guide here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096820. I can't find a version of Visual Studios that has the ARM cross compilers. I base this on the fact that my install doesn't have "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\bin\x86_ARM" nor "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Platforms\ARM" exist after installation. I've tried both digging up Visual Studio 2012 Express and trying the new Visual Studios 2013 Express (Windows Desktop versions)

Would anyone be kind enough to provide me a link to the proper Visual studios to use? I hope I don't need a MSDN subscription to get the proper beta or developer preview.

Thank you so very much. I really am grateful for all the wonderful things you people have done for Windows RT. It really makes the RT so much more useful.

Bridgeofstraws

I don't know for certain, but I would wager that the Express editions do not have the required binaries or libraries. I use Visual Studio 2012 Premium to do my RT cross-compiles. Full VS is definitely expensive, but you can use VS 2012 or VS 2013 on a trial basis for 30 or 60 days for free.

Reactions: bridgeofstraws
The last time I built something, as I recall, I had both the version for Windows Desktop and for Modern apps installed - the one for Modern apps has the ARM compilers and configuration included with it (since it's for building Windows Store apps, which if they target ARM and include native code, need those compilers). I don't recall the order I installed them, though I think it was Modern and then Desktop.

Reactions: bridgeofstraws

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Bridgeofstraws

I don't know for certain, but I would wager that the Express editions do not have the required binaries or libraries. I use Visual Studio 2012 Premium to do my RT cross-compiles. Full VS is definitely expensive, but you can use VS 2012 or VS 2013 on a trial basis for 30 or 60 days for free.
    The last time I built something, as I recall, I had both the version for Windows Desktop and for Modern apps installed - the one for Modern apps has the ARM compilers and configuration included with it (since it's for building Windows Store apps, which if they target ARM and include native code, need those compilers). I don't recall the order I installed them, though I think it was Modern and then Desktop.