[GUIDE][TO SOLVE] MTK No IMEI, No Baseband, No Backup?

Search This thread

soralz

Apr 6, 2013
Taipei
Guide - To Solve MTK Devices ~ Soft Bricked from No IMEI, No Baseband, No RIL, No WiFi MAC, BT MAC, comms etc.

Note:
This is a "clone thread" from my original thread. I post another guide at here to help those who are in difficulty finding the correct guide to solve this problem. This method probably works on all Mediatek devices. For reference, my Lenovo P780 uses a MTK 6589 chipset.

DISCLAIMER:
*What you done to your phone is at your OWN RISK, you choose to do this modifications to your phone and don't blame me if anything goes wrong.

Preface:
Recently I have noticed many people who tried to flash Custom ROM's on MediaTek devices and causes the phone to lose IMEI, Baseband, RIL, WiFi MAC, BT MAC, SN, comms etc. and causes connectivity issues (including me), which renders our MediaTek devices turned into a "AndroidPod" media device that cannot make calls, SMS etc. As an example, my Lenovo P780 which faced the exactly same problem.
Screenshot_2013-01-01-00-49-31_zpse116a66d-1.png
Screenshot_2013-01-01-00-49-38_zps1a8bc128-1.png

See the IMEI and baseband are still there in factory mode!!!
20140222_001329_zps22232a2a.jpg

What could cause this is problem to occur is probably during ROM flashing process, the installer probably wiped out the /data/nvram (folder/partition). The /data/nvram (folder/partition) is the heart of your phone of all communicating feature, if the (folder/partition) is corrupted, just like I said, no communication features. :(
*Actually the baseband is there, but because the /nvram (folder/partition) has corrupted, the Android OS were unable to recognize it thus showing Unknown.

So no backup = Phone dead? Nothing but a media player?
First step, ensure your phone:
  • On Stock ROM
  • Rooted
  • PC have ADB drivers installed (If you don't have it please ask Uncle Google :good:)
Well, that isn't true, recently I found out, the phone can actually be easily recovered (on most MediaTek devices) and gain at least those comm features back by simply delete the whole /nvram (folder/partiton). If your phone coldn't recognize SIM card, wait a while after deleted the folder, your phone should have signal after maximum 10 seconds of waiting.

*In most of the cases MobileUncleTools give AT command failed to send probably the /nvram folder is corrupted, simply delete the NVRAM folder and reboot will do.

For WiFi MAC address fix (WiFi NVRAM WARNING: ERR 0x10), because the solution already been posted, so please click here.

Bluetooth MAC address fix: Firstly, using any File Explorer with Root abilities navigate to /data/nvram/APCFG/APRDEB/BT_Addr and also a BT_Addr file under /data, then copy both files to your PC. Then open up the file by using Hex Editor (HHD Hex Editor). To fix a static MAC address, just simply type in your MAC address on the first row (0000) from column (00-05). That is what your MAC address should be (Edit both files with the same MAC address). After you have modified it, put it back in the exact location and remember to change permission.

Actually you can also get restore your IMEI, WiFi MAC, BT MAC, SN by restoring a backup created by MTKDroidTools with other exact same model as your phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

serpi42

Apr 8, 2014
Hi,

I have a Pomp W99 (MTK6589T) and it seems this model (or it's software) has the problem, that Wifi and Bluetooth MAC address changes on every activation.

While I was able to fix the changing MAC address with the procedere as described I still have the problem of the changing Bluetooth MAC, which is very annoying.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

soralz

Apr 6, 2013
Taipei
Hi,

I have a Pomp W99 (MTK6589T) and it seems this model (or it's software) has the problem, that Wifi and Bluetooth MAC address changes on every activation.

While I was able to fix the changing MAC address with the procedere as described I still have the problem of the changing Bluetooth MAC, which is very annoying.

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

Hi, I have updated my post. :)

Reactions: techster69

serpi42

Apr 8, 2014

Thanks for this but sadly, this doesn't work, I've already tried it.

I have a BT_Addr in /data/nvram/APCFG/APRDEB but the mac address there is not used.

I also have a BT_Addr in /data and it seems, this one gets updated with the current MAC.
I tried removing the file rights so that the file could not be altered, but now I have a static address in the file that is different from the one shown in the telephone status.

I'm still getting on every enabling of bluetooth a new address, always like xx:xx:46:66:xx:xx (the two bytes in the middle ar always the same).

My only solution at the moment is not to disable Bluetooth and not to reboot my phone, because else I have to re-pair all bluetooth devices.

I would even be lucky with a solution that would change the bluetooth MAC to static one by script after enabling Bluettoth but I couldn't find anything about this, all I could find was about changing wifi MAC address.

Maybe you have another idea?

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

soralz

Apr 6, 2013
Taipei

I have a BT_Addr in /data/nvram/APCFG/APRDEB but the mac address there is not used.

I also have a BT_Addr in /data and it seems, this one gets updated with the current MAC.
I tried removing the file rights so that the file could not be altered, but now I have a static address in the file that is different from the one shown in the telephone status.

I'm still getting on every enabling of bluetooth a new address, always like xx:xx:46:66:xx:xx (the two bytes in the middle ar always the same).

My only solution at the moment is not to disable Bluetooth and not to reboot my phone, because else I have to re-pair all bluetooth devices.

I would even be lucky with a solution that would change the bluetooth MAC to static one by script after enabling Bluettoth but I couldn't find anything about this, all I could find was about changing wifi MAC address.

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

Or you can try editing both files with the same MAC address? Save and set permissions?

serpi42

Apr 8, 2014
Or you can try editing both files with the same MAC address? Save and set permissions?

Been there, done this.
Both files have the same address and permissions are set so that they cannot be altered.
Still the OS keeps creating random addresses, so it doesn't seem the files are read by the system but only get written.

Thanks & ciao, Alfred

soralz

Apr 6, 2013
Taipei
Been there, done this.
Both files have the same address and permissions are set so that they cannot be altered.
Still the OS keeps creating random addresses, so it doesn't seem the files are read by the system but only get written.

Thanks & ciao, Alfred

Well that's weird, technically it should be static already. Never mind, I will keep searching for other solution. Sorry for that you can't get it to work. :(

Or perhaps, do you have any friends / relatives of yours using the same phone? You can try MTKDroidTools to make a NVRAM backup of their phone and restore the settings to your phone. That should fix it. ;)

PMoto

Jun 16, 2009
Porto - Portugal
I get something like that after a STAR N9002 Update, but with something else...
My touch doesn't mach the screen, the screen is normal but the touch point's are out of place... do you understand? like the touch have a resolution diferent from the screen resolution...

Do you think this is caused from a software problem, NVRAM is missing and happen all in the same reboot AFTER the update...
I'm trying to get a backup copy of NVRAM, but I don't know if the touch will be ok after that...

Thanks.

soralz

Apr 6, 2013
Taipei
My touch doesn't mach the screen, the screen is normal but the touch point's are out of place... do you understand? like the touch have a resolution diferent from the screen resolution...

Do you think this is caused from a software problem, NVRAM is missing and happen all in the same reboot AFTER the update...
I'm trying to get a backup copy of NVRAM, but I don't know if the touch will be ok after that...

Thanks.

I know, I have encountered the problem before on a cheap China tablet. That isn't caused by /nvram corrupt/missing but the touch driver you have are not compatible with your touch hardware. I'd suggest you restore from a backup.

Reactions: PMoto

PMoto

Jun 16, 2009
Porto - Portugal
Thank's for your answer. I've already get a NVRAM backup to set me up. That's ok, but the touch is still messed. I don't have a backup... I don't know how I will get it...

soralz

Apr 6, 2013
Taipei
Thank's for your answer. I've already get a NVRAM backup to set me up. That's ok, but the touch is still messed. I don't have a backup... I don't know how I will get it...

Do you have any friend's or anyone you know using the exact same phone? My idea is: Find an 100% identical phone (probably from dealer is the best bet). Backup the entire phone using MTKDroidTools, and then restore the backup to your phone. After that just restore back your original /nvram partition (you wouldn't want the same IMEI and related info isn't it?)

Therotically your phone should work/recover.

PMoto

Jun 16, 2009
Porto - Portugal
No luck for me.
Even a full backup did not make the touch work well.
I think a backup is a good way to prevent flash problems, but what I have was far worst than that. Some how, the flash procedure burn the touch driver chip, and there's no way to make them work again...
I'll have to replace it... that's a shame...

Thanks for your support.

PMoto.

kermage

Feb 3, 2014
Iligan City
No luck for me.
Even a full backup did not make the touch work well.
I think a backup is a good way to prevent flash problems, but what I have was far worst than that. Some how, the flash procedure burn the touch driver chip, and there's no way to make them work again...
I'll have to replace it... that's a shame...

Thanks for your support.

PMoto.

try a TP Upgrade..and might restore your touch screen..

PMoto

Jun 16, 2009
Porto - Portugal
Oh, sure. That's my point, if some software bricked it, some software should repost it...

Anyway, I already order a new Touch panel for it, thanks.

PMoto

Jun 16, 2009
Porto - Portugal
Sorry, i'm missing something here...
Do you know some way to do a touch upgrade with software? I don't. That's why I must buy a new one.
But if you know a way, please post here...
I already flash all possible ROM's, even a full a backup of a similar phone with no results...

Thanks.
PMoto.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide - To Solve MTK Devices ~ Soft Bricked from No IMEI, No Baseband, No RIL, No WiFi MAC, BT MAC, comms etc.

Note:
    This is a "clone thread" from my original thread. I post another guide at here to help those who are in difficulty finding the correct guide to solve this problem. This method probably works on all Mediatek devices. For reference, my Lenovo P780 uses a MTK 6589 chipset.

DISCLAIMER:
    *What you done to your phone is at your OWN RISK, you choose to do this modifications to your phone and don't blame me if anything goes wrong.

Preface:
    Recently I have noticed many people who tried to flash Custom ROM's on MediaTek devices and causes the phone to lose IMEI, Baseband, RIL, WiFi MAC, BT MAC, SN, comms etc. and causes connectivity issues (including me), which renders our MediaTek devices turned into a "AndroidPod" media device that cannot make calls, SMS etc. As an example, my Lenovo P780 which faced the exactly same problem.
    Screenshot_2013-01-01-00-49-31_zpse116a66d-1.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-01-00-49-38_zps1a8bc128-1.png

See the IMEI and baseband are still there in factory mode!!!
    20140222_001329_zps22232a2a.jpg

What could cause this is problem to occur is probably during ROM flashing process, the installer probably wiped out the /data/nvram (folder/partition). The /data/nvram (folder/partition) is the heart of your phone of all communicating feature, if the (folder/partition) is corrupted, just like I said, no communication features. :(
    *Actually the baseband is there, but because the /nvram (folder/partition) has corrupted, the Android OS were unable to recognize it thus showing Unknown.

So no backup = Phone dead? Nothing but a media player?
    First step, ensure your phone:
    • On Stock ROM
    • Rooted
    • PC have ADB drivers installed (If you don't have it please ask Uncle Google :good:)
    Well, that isn't true, recently I found out, the phone can actually be easily recovered (on most MediaTek devices) and gain at least those comm features back by simply delete the whole /nvram (folder/partiton). If your phone coldn't recognize SIM card, wait a while after deleted the folder, your phone should have signal after maximum 10 seconds of waiting.

*In most of the cases MobileUncleTools give AT command failed to send probably the /nvram folder is corrupted, simply delete the NVRAM folder and reboot will do.

For WiFi MAC address fix (WiFi NVRAM WARNING: ERR 0x10), because the solution already been posted, so please click here.

Bluetooth MAC address fix: Firstly, using any File Explorer with Root abilities navigate to /data/nvram/APCFG/APRDEB/BT_Addr and also a BT_Addr file under /data, then copy both files to your PC. Then open up the file by using Hex Editor (HHD Hex Editor). To fix a static MAC address, just simply type in your MAC address on the first row (0000) from column (00-05). That is what your MAC address should be (Edit both files with the same MAC address). After you have modified it, put it back in the exact location and remember to change permission.

Actually you can also get restore your IMEI, WiFi MAC, BT MAC, SN by restoring a backup created by MTKDroidTools with other exact same model as your phone.
    Hi,

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

Been there, done this.

Thanks & ciao, Alfred

Well that's weird, technically it should be static already. Never mind, I will keep searching for other solution. Sorry for that you can't get it to work. :(

Or perhaps, do you have any friends / relatives of yours using the same phone? You can try MTKDroidTools to make a NVRAM backup of their phone and restore the settings to your phone. That should fix it. ;)

Thanks.

I know, I have encountered the problem before on a cheap China tablet. That isn't caused by /nvram corrupt/missing but the touch driver you have are not compatible with your touch hardware. I'd suggest you restore from a backup.