On my fourth M8 phone.

Search This thread

rahtrip

Jun 24, 2013
Now I want to know how it's AT&T's fault that your M8 is faulty?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

I still can understand the speaker grille issue. I just can't fathom that happening.

Not ATT's fault, but more so HTC's for horrible quality control and post assembly inspection.

slapdaddy

Apr 9, 2008
Louisiana
Thats good to hear! :) ... But I'm surprised to hear that the rep was willing to open 4 boxes for you on the spot just to make you happy. The reps at my ATT store arent THAT cooperative.

Maybe I made a good impression haha. I drive out of my way to go to this specific store though. They really treat customers well and every employee is always friendly and always makes sure the customer is satisfied....that's always been how they treat me. So I recommend them to everybody I know.

rahtrip

Jun 24, 2013
My AT&T store gave me absolute hell to replace my M8. Mine had an uneven speaker grill and random holes in the right of the speaker grill were drilled through while other were not. Also had a couple of random nicks that were there from the get go. I figured it would be no problem to get another one. This sort of stuff happens a lot. Companies pump out tons of devices naturally there will be quality control issues. But I have never had a problem swapping out devices at Sprint, or Verizon. That's why we get 14 days to get satisfied.

Keep in mind, I always feel dumb going into a store to nitpick. I feel like I am an annoying customer. But the last thing I need is the employees treating me like crap making me sound crazy. I kindly explained the issue and was wondering if I could swap it out. They explained that it was "subjective" and that these were not confirmed manufacturers defects. They all passed around the phone and went in the back and huddled up with their manager. They explained that they only replace phones for serious issues or basically Dead On Arrival devices and that my issue was minor. Said I need to contact customer care or HTC.

So I call customer care. Did not even have to complain or throw the store under the bus. I kindly told her what the issue was and she asked me what happened when I went into the store. When I told her that they did not accept my M8 she was appalled. Said that I have the right to return a device even if I am just imagining a problem. So she told me to hold on and that she was going to personally call that store. Unfortunately she could not get through to them so she left them some nasty instructions in a note on my account.

I go back and they are still acting shady. Never once did the manager speak to me. His minions just kept running back and forth to him discussing stuff. You could tell he was ticked off after reading the note. I am standing literally 10 feet away and you can see them talking ****. The instructions were clear and told them that they need to replace my device ASAP AND offer me a free case for the inconvenience. I declined the case because I was not trying to get over on them, but simply just wanted to swap the device. You would think after all that someone would apologize and blame it on some confusion or something. A simple "hey sorry that you had to go through all that, we just were not clear on blah blah blah..." But nope. Nothing.

Even after I was getting the new phone activated, the guy I was working with basically threatened me and mocked me. Said "now I want you to open it up and take a good look at it and feel every nook and cranny under good lighting because if something ends up wrong with this one you're SOL and gonna have to end up shipping it off to HTC or something.." In my mind I am thinking "umm if something is wrong with it, I am going to come right back here and swap it out if I am within my return period." I am just shocked because I have never encountered that level of resistance before.

Sorry you had to go through that, but you dont have to put up with mockery and sarcasm by those reps. They're there to help you and offer their service. If you're a customer of many years or close to a decade (like me) then they should respect your account status and reward your loyalty. As long as you're not exchanging your phones/devices just for the fun of it, which in this case you weren't, you actually had a defect out of the box and wanted to get a perfect device. So I'm with you on that. Sorta had to deal with that attitude but IDGAF, I told them if they were in my place and spent that much money they would understand the sentiment. I reciprocate the behavior that is displayed towards me usually, so it's never gotten to a point where a rep has given me that much attitude. Next time that happens call customer service from the store and ask to talk to a manager or supervisor and have them talk to the store manager or rep. Thats worked for me twice.

rahtrip

Jun 24, 2013
That's the thing...actually was an AT&T owned store. That's why I was so surprised. But according to the only cool employee that works there...that location has developed a culture that embraces bully tactics and lying.

But I bought the phone online and figured I'd do the swap in store so I could see the new device right then and there. Before I did all that I checked with at&t in a chat and they said that would be just fine. But like you said...I now remember why I do business online or with best buy for cell phones. That was the first time I actually tried to seek help in a carrier store in a while and it will be my last.

Haha always had the best luck with Best Buy in terms of buying electronics and their customer service. Never had an issue there, my Xbox One bricked after an update from Microsoft, I walked in and showed them my warranty plan and no questions asked they replaced my device on the spot.

dtblair24

Jun 11, 2010
Atlanta
Sorry you had to go through that, but you dont have to put up with mockery and sarcasm by those reps. They're there to help you and offer their service. If you're a customer of many years or close to a decade (like me) then they should respect your account status and reward your loyalty. As long as you're not exchanging your phones/devices just for the fun of it, which in this case you weren't, you actually had a defect out of the box and wanted to get a perfect device. So I'm with you on that. Sorta had to deal with that attitude but IDGAF, I told them if they were in my place and spent that much money they would understand the sentiment. I reciprocate the behavior that is displayed towards me usually, so it's never gotten to a point where a rep has given me that much attitude. Next time that happens call customer service from the store and ask to talk to a manager or supervisor and have them talk to the store manager or rep. Thats worked for me twice.

Yeah once i got hold of their support lines they were cooperative...not nice but they followed their instructions. I've been contacted by a rep apologizing and assuring me that this was not a typical experience and that they messed up big time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

aimfire72

Nov 26, 2010
San Jose
I have a T-Mobile version with same problem with the top grill lifting up on the right side, below the camera. Got a nice gap right there. Exchanging it on Tuesday - if there are any left in stock. :/

andrewnelson

Feb 5, 2014
Dhaka
just noticed the corners of the screen on mine aren't completely flush with the body. ordered my dev edition from htc.

twiggums

Oct 6, 2007
I'm on my third one now. First two had a dead pixel. This one seems to come off a different assembly line or something. No raised grill on the top or bottom like the last two had (I was willing to deal with raised grill). But the screen seems better as well. The first two and even store model, when I'd run the dead pixel test, would vary between black/grey shades between the bottom buttons and the screen, this one is consistent and black the whole way through. (Hope that makes sense)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

murdalok

Apr 13, 2014
I do tech support for Verizon, I always know I'm in for a treat when I pull up a customers account and see they've had multiple warranty replacements. :rolleyes:

jbDroid110

Apr 24, 2014
i heard about At&t having multiple reports of the HTC M8 having cosmetic issues upon sale , its not only that but my last phone the htc One M7 also was in that problem i went through 5 m7's in a month because of shipment damages or software problems . currently now i have an M8 and its amazing!!! hopefully At&t can sort out that mess for the future .. :D

faresrouabah

Aug 8, 2011
Mine

Mine has a slight bump on the bottom speaker where it meets the screen on the right side. I'm pretty OCD about that kind of stuff, but it's too stupid to care about. Doesn't change my experience of the phone at all.

Phreddo

Apr 1, 2008
Madison, wi
OnePlus 8T
Mine has a slight bump on the bottom speaker where it meets the screen on the right side. I'm pretty OCD about that kind of stuff, but it's too stupid to care about. Doesn't change my experience of the phone at all.

Here's my thing.
My M8 is doing this too, where the speaker is becoming uneven, and i can feel the ridge at the screen edge.
Is this going to progress until the grill just falls off? Or will it just be uneven and stop there?
Are the speakers held in ONLY with adhesive? Or do the edges have some sort of retention, where they may shift a bit, but still stay put?
I'm beyond 14 days, but if this won't fall apart, I'll live with it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You're probably just super anal or something...
    Yea the videos arent mine, two youtube techies that posted videos of their experience. No need to be a prick, you cared enough and took time to comment on my original post, so I was just responding to you. "Smfh"

The thing that makes this thread terrible are Mr.Pink's comments....

So that explains why my M8 is on back order lol just kidding!!! :D Hope you get one that doesn't have problems!
    Yeah I felt bad for you. 8 hours and not a single reply..

Besides I just said what everyone else was thinking when they read this terrible thread.
    My AT&T store gave me absolute hell to replace my M8. Mine had an uneven speaker grill and random holes in the right of the speaker grill were drilled through while other were not. Also had a couple of random nicks that were there from the get go. I figured it would be no problem to get another one. This sort of stuff happens a lot. Companies pump out tons of devices naturally there will be quality control issues. But I have never had a problem swapping out devices at Sprint, or Verizon. That's why we get 14 days to get satisfied.

Keep in mind, I always feel dumb going into a store to nitpick. I feel like I am an annoying customer. But the last thing I need is the employees treating me like crap making me sound crazy. I kindly explained the issue and was wondering if I could swap it out. They explained that it was "subjective" and that these were not confirmed manufacturers defects. They all passed around the phone and went in the back and huddled up with their manager. They explained that they only replace phones for serious issues or basically Dead On Arrival devices and that my issue was minor. Said I need to contact customer care or HTC.

So I call customer care. Did not even have to complain or throw the store under the bus. I kindly told her what the issue was and she asked me what happened when I went into the store. When I told her that they did not accept my M8 she was appalled. Said that I have the right to return a device even if I am just imagining a problem. So she told me to hold on and that she was going to personally call that store. Unfortunately she could not get through to them so she left them some nasty instructions in a note on my account.

I go back and they are still acting shady. Never once did the manager speak to me. His minions just kept running back and forth to him discussing stuff. You could tell he was ticked off after reading the note. I am standing literally 10 feet away and you can see them talking ****. The instructions were clear and told them that they need to replace my device ASAP AND offer me a free case for the inconvenience. I declined the case because I was not trying to get over on them, but simply just wanted to swap the device. You would think after all that someone would apologize and blame it on some confusion or something. A simple "hey sorry that you had to go through all that, we just were not clear on blah blah blah..." But nope. Nothing.

Even after I was getting the new phone activated, the guy I was working with basically threatened me and mocked me. Said "now I want you to open it up and take a good look at it and feel every nook and cranny under good lighting because if something ends up wrong with this one you're SOL and gonna have to end up shipping it off to HTC or something.." In my mind I am thinking "umm if something is wrong with it, I am going to come right back here and swap it out if I am within my return period." I am just shocked because I have never encountered that level of resistance before.