Thanks Meter: 7,242

By sfhub, Senior Member on 1st September 2013, 05:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd April 2014, 11:57 PM |#1311  
Thanks Meter: 101

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abemore

OMG... ts10 made such a difference! It's like night and day! Finally, the touchscreen that's been driving me crazy is fixed and perfect!

I cant click the Thanks button hard enough. THANKS sfhub!!!

ts10 UPDATE:

2 weeks running ts10, I started seeing some occasional multitouch issues. So I grabbed a multitouch test app from the Play store and was able to clearly reproduce my issues in the test app.

I just applied the ts20 file and could not produce any issues in the test app. Will see how it turns out after some time.

ts20 UPDATE:

After 1 day of running ts20, I noticed if the tablet was sitting on carpet or bed and I touched it with just one finger the touchscreen would not respond. I had to hold the tablet in my hand (or plug it in) for a normal touch response. What the hell is going on with this capacitive screen!? Seems like a grounding issue. A reboot seems to have almost entirely alleviated this issue... but for how long? Most people in this thread seem to recommend ts11. Giving that a try right now. So far... it seems slightly worse than ts20.

24th April 2014, 01:16 AM |#1312  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Quote:

UPDATE:

2 weeks running ts10, I started seeing some occasional multitouch issues. So I grabbed a multitouch test app from the Play store and was able to clearly reproduce my issues in the test app.

I just applied the ts20 file and could not produce any issues in the test app. Will see how it turns out after some time.

There's a Nexus 7 display app that shows ghost touches for me even when it works fine otherwise on Ts11.

Now on the actual "display tester" app, all is well.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.
25th April 2014, 12:29 AM |#1313  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend33

There's a Nexus 7 display app that shows ghost touches for me even when it works fine otherwise on Ts11.

Now on the actual "display tester" app, all is well.

I don't understand how this app (Nexus 7 II Tester) works. The first pattern causes random touches all over the screen whether I'm touching it or not. Like it's possessed. How is this supposed to help anything?
25th April 2014, 03:23 AM |#1314  

More
THIS ULTIMATELY APPEARS TO BE A GROUNDING ISSUE
Using a multitouch testing app (like this one), lay your tablet on different materials and try to reproduce your touchscreen issues by touching your tablet with just your fingertip(s). I've tried all of the following...

Good Grounds (Laying your tablet on these materials seem to solve the issue):
  • my hand
  • my laptop (even though it's unplugged and plastic)
  • a metal frying pan
  • a thin metal box
  • a big flimsy disposable aluminum serving tray

Bad Grounds (Laying your tablet on these materials either does nothing to fix, or causes the issue):
  • Wood
  • carpet
  • bedding
  • dvd case
  • plastic bin
  • granite counter
  • a book
  • leather couch
  • a stack of anti-static bags (used to ship computer components)
  • aluminum foil

Try this:
With the tablet placed on a couch, bed, or pillow, visualize your touchscreen issue using a multitouch test app, and while the touchscreen is spazzing (or not registering a touch), with your fingers held in place on the screen, simply slide your other hand under the tablet and notice how the screen suddenly works correctly.

So the question is:
Is there some way we can permanently ground this damn screen? Can we tape one of the good ground materials to the back of the tablet? Or inside the cover?
The Following User Says Thank You to abemore For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift abemore Ad-Free
26th April 2014, 03:24 AM |#1315  
Flag Illinois

More
Quote:

I don't understand how this app (Nexus 7 II Tester) works. The first pattern causes random touches all over the screen whether I'm touching it or not. Like it's possessed. How is this supposed to help anything?

I don't understand either. I'll email the dev and post the response.

The Following User Says Thank You to jfriend33 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jfriend33 Ad-Free
28th April 2014, 04:23 PM |#1316  
Flag Oaxaca
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Thumbs up
This is a really weird issue. Probably made even weirder by the fact that it's likely several different issues, as evidenced by the fact that different solutions work or don't work for different people.

I first tried out the "loose connector" solution posted here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2535835

At first I thought it worked, but alas, no. I re-opened my tablet several times trying to re-seat the connectors "better" each time. I tried grounding my device. I tried pushing on different points on the back of the case and squeezing the case more tightly shut. All produced random results. My touchscreen is messing up so badly to make the tablet completely unusable.

I finally decided this issue, at least for me, cannot possibly have to do with the hardware. The reason is that I have multirom installed and I can boot stock, CM, and Ubuntu Touch. With stock it's unusable. With CM, there are slight issues, but still not good. With Ubuntu it works flawlessly.

So, I tried TS10, and it worked better, but I found that I had to push pretty hard for touch to work - still it worked. I'm trying TS20 now to see if it's any better.

Thanks for providing this!

edit: while there were definite improvements with each of TS10, 20 and 30, it's still not perfect. My guess is that there must be multiple issues at play here. This really sucks google/asus...

edit: ok, went back to TS10, after trying all 3, and after a couple of reboots, and waiting for it to fully boot up, it seems good now. Still makes me feel like I can't rely on this thing...
30th April 2014, 12:48 AM |#1317  
Flag Illinois

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by basily

This is a really weird issue. Probably made even weirder by the fact that it's likely several different issues, as evidenced by the fact that different solutions work or don't work for different people.

I first tried out the "loose connector" solution posted here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2535835

At first I thought it worked, but alas, no. I re-opened my tablet several times trying to re-seat the connectors "better" each time. I tried grounding my device. I tried pushing on different points on the back of the case and squeezing the case more tightly shut. All produced random results. My touchscreen is messing up so badly to make the tablet completely unusable.

I finally decided this issue, at least for me, cannot possibly have to do with the hardware. The reason is that I have multirom installed and I can boot stock, CM, and Ubuntu Touch. With stock it's unusable. With CM, there are slight issues, but still not good. With Ubuntu it works flawlessly.

So, I tried TS10, and it worked better, but I found that I had to push pretty hard for touch to work - still it worked. I'm trying TS20 now to see if it's any better.

Thanks for providing this!

edit: while there were definite improvements with each of TS10, 20 and 30, it's still not perfect. My guess is that there must be multiple issues at play here. This really sucks google/asus...

edit: ok, went back to TS10, after trying all 3, and after a couple of reboots, and waiting for it to fully boot up, it seems good now. Still makes me feel like I can't rely on this thing...

Did you try the experimentals?

30th April 2014, 01:19 AM |#1318  
Flag Oaxaca

More
Quote:

Did you try the experimentals?

I'm back to thinking that my problem is hardware related as it's just insanely sporadic.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
30th April 2014, 01:20 AM |#1319  
Flag Illinois

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by basily

I'm back to thinking that my problem is hardware related as it's just insanely sporadic.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Try ts11

30th April 2014, 01:12 PM |#1320  
Flag Oaxaca

More
Quote:

Try ts11

Tried it, and now ts12,,, working so far, but I expect it will start getting weird again.

This is why I don't think it has to do with software for me, because the problem appeared out of nowhere, no new updates no nothing. I'm back to a clean factory image now, for testing. Previous tsXX's that I tried all seemed to work at first, then I would get weirdness again. Sometimes my touchscreen won't respond at all, sometimes it will get erratic touches, and sometimes it will work fine. I just don't see how this (in my case anyway) can be anything except a flaky connector, part or noise interference due to poor grounding.
2nd May 2014, 12:44 AM |#1321  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddurandd

I tried all variants of the boot-ts fix but unfortunately had no luck. I keep getting the ghost touches. I called ASUS yesterday and got an RMA and shipped it off. I'm not optimistic based on other posts, but don't know what else to try.
Thank you OP nonetheless.

I just got my unit back from ASUS. The serial number is the same. It looks like they replaced the LCD...
New Part No: 90NK0081-R20020
New Part No Desc: ME571K TFT LCD+FRONT+GPS MODULE (NEW)

They did not appear to do a factory reset - unless they made a backup first and restored.

I've only had it about an hour so I will report back to let everyone know if the problem is fixed.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)