FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
OnePlus 6 On Sale

Okay to upgrade from 4.1.2?

122 posts
Thanks Meter: 20

By Rich3077, Senior Member on 18th April 2014, 11:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
New to this phone and I am running 4.1.2 there is a system update a 4.3 that's already downloaded and ready to install but I wanted to make sure the update didn't install any new locks on my phone before I accept. I plan on rooting soon.

Thanks
Rich

21st April 2014, 02:39 AM |#2  
Flag WINTER PARK,FL
Thanks Meter: 200

Donate to Me
More
U get knox but there are ways to still root with knox so go ahead update

High Definition Note II
23rd April 2014, 04:39 PM |#3  
Flag Texas, USA
Thanks Meter: 8,615

Donate to Me
More
Uuum hold on. If you plan to root your phone there is no point in allowing the OTA which does install KNOX. Root now and save that extra trouble.
23rd April 2014, 05:35 PM |#4  
Flag Lewisville, Tx
Thanks Meter: 363

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_dbs_tx

Uuum hold on. If you plan to root your phone there is no point in allowing the OTA which does install KNOX. Root now and save that extra trouble.

If the poster wants to install 4.3, then accept the update, root, then flash your 4.3 rom.. This way you won't have all those reboot, lock up issues, that people keep on having.. Plus most devs do not have knox filex in their roms.. And you won't have to flash the wifi fix..
23rd April 2014, 10:17 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I Would Accept It.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledragon5

If the poster wants to install 4.3, then accept the update, root, then flash your 4.3 rom.. This way you won't have all those reboot, lock up issues, that people keep on having.. Plus most devs do not have knox filex in their roms.. And you won't have to flash the wifi fix..

If I was in this position, I would accept the update as doubledragon5 said and move forward with root, etc. I have 4.1.2 right now and want the 4.3 update, but I'm rooted and trying to figure out how to unravel this to get to 4.3 myself.
23rd April 2014, 11:34 PM |#6  
Flag Lewisville, Tx

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashred

If I was in this position, I would accept the update as doubledragon5 said and move forward with root, etc. I have 4.1.2 right now and want the 4.3 update, but I'm rooted and trying to figure out how to unravel this to get to 4.3 myself.

If your rooted, go back to bone stock MC2 like I have mentioned in a few other threads. accept the 4.3 udate from sprint, re-root using the tookit, then flash away...
25th April 2014, 11:48 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

Quote:

If your rooted, go back to bone stock MC2 like I have mentioned in a few other threads. accept the 4.3 udate from sprint, re-root using the tookit, then flash away...

Thank you! You're the first to shed some light on this for me. To get back to stock using the toolkit, would I need to first flash stock recovery, then Stock Firmware, then bone stock MC2? Afterwards boot in, accept the update, then re-root using the toolkit.
26th April 2014, 11:23 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Question
Quote:

Thank you! You're the first to shed some light on this for me. To get back to stock using the toolkit, would I need to first flash stock recovery, then Stock Firmware, then bone stock MC2? Afterwards boot in, accept the update, then re-root using the toolkit.

I'm wondering the same thing. But if we root then accept the OTA won't that enable the knox counter? So that if we now, "flash away".... won't every flash be counted?
Shouldn't we root, then install the custom roms without the knox? Or do the custom roms also include the knox counter tripping mechanism?

I would like to know how this works also.

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie95 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stephanie95 Ad-Free
27th April 2014, 03:00 AM |#9  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 209

More
I just recently came from 4.1.2 rooted running a deoxided stock rom. I didn't do the OTA update to 4.3. I used the TeamRejects Deoxidexed rooted deknoxed stock rom, the updated MK4 modem, and the WiFi fix. It took about 15-20 minutes to get everything done. I needed to download Odin too for WiFi fix. I didn't run the WiFi fix till I knew there was an issue.

Not much of complaint, but I wish there was a kernel like Perseus for TouchWix based roms. The only one I found was Devil Kernel, but for whatever reason, wasn't stable with TeamReject's ROM. I didn't really care for his custom Kernel ajdustment manager and STweaks didn't work with it at all. Ideally, I prefer a stock rooted deknoxed deoxidized bare bones rom (just phone, contacts, google play) so I have a working phone and can access Google Play so I can install the apps I prefer. The closest I found was Classic Rom but it freezes on initial rom load; Plus, I'm not a fan of the colors and the few things he choose to include.
The Following User Says Thank You to lovekeiiy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lovekeiiy Ad-Free
28th April 2014, 09:52 PM |#10  

More
Stock 4.3 Deodexed, deknoxed, Rooted Rom Available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy

I just recently came from 4.1.2 rooted running a deoxided stock rom. I didn't do the OTA update to 4.3. I used the TeamRejects Deoxidexed rooted deknoxed stock rom, the updated MK4 modem, and the WiFi fix. It took about 15-20 minutes to get everything done. I needed to download Odin too for WiFi fix. I didn't run the WiFi fix till I knew there was an issue.

Not much of complaint, but I wish there was a kernel like Perseus for TouchWix based roms. The only one I found was Devil Kernel, but for whatever reason, wasn't stable with TeamReject's ROM. I didn't really care for his custom Kernel ajdustment manager and STweaks didn't work with it at all. Ideally, I prefer a stock rooted deknoxed deoxidized bare bones rom (just phone, contacts, google play) so I have a working phone and can access Google Play so I can install the apps I prefer. The closest I found was Classic Rom but it freezes on initial rom load; Plus, I'm not a fan of the colors and the few things he choose to include.

So, you came exactly where I did except you with a different ROM. I would like to get from my 4.1.2 rooted up to 4.3 rooted stock,deodexed, deknoxed if at all possible.
29th April 2014, 03:28 AM |#11  
Flag Lewisville, Tx

More
Quote:

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have been busy with work, and family things.Use billards return to full stock with counter reset. It installs everything including recovery, boot loader,firemware etc... Then set up your phone, when prompt accept the ota update.. Once done retoot, and flash what ever 4.3 rom you want.. The knox counter will still be there, but if you need a trip back to Sprint, go back to Full MC2 stock, knox counter will no longer be there.. Most 4.3 room do not include the Knox files so no worries there.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)