About to pull the trigger on the T-mobile Note 3

Search This thread

ajm786

Oct 27, 2010
I am about to buy this phone by this afternoon. I am coming from a Nexus 4. My reasons are as follows:

1. Need faster speeds (LTE).
2. Want an AMOLED screen
3. Need better battery life than what I have now

I fully intend to root this device and put CM 11 on it.

Please let me know what are the negatives that I'm in for. I've read some things, but nothing definitive that someone can point out. It would be much appreciated for those who actually have the phone to chime in and let me know what shortcomings you have with it so that I can ensure I'm making a sound decision.

Thanks as always!

ajm786

Oct 27, 2010
If you have a choice between Android 4.3 and 4.4.x it might be better to get 4.3. From 4.3 you would be able to load an unauthorized 4.4.2 which has more potential then the authotized 4.4.2.

Frank

Sorry, I'm not following. I read some things about a newer bootloader which sort of screwed things up. Is that what you are referring to?

Liquorsicc92

Jan 12, 2014
Modesto
Can't really think of any negatives. The Note 3 is a great phone. One negative you might get from someone is that the Amoled screens are notorious for having burn in. I have yet to experience this and haven't seen any reports of it on the Note 3. I don't think it's anything to worry about and I'm sure Samsung made sure the display on the Note 3 is top notch.

I just thought of a negative actually: in my opinion, the display is a bit over saturated, but it's not too bad.

ajm786

Oct 27, 2010
Can't really think of any negatives. The Note 3 is a great phone. One negative you might get from someone is that the Amoled screens are notorious for having burn in. I have yet to experience this and haven't seen any reports of it on the Note 3. I don't think it's anything to worry about and I'm sure Samsung made sure the display on the Note 3 is top notch.

I just thought of a negative actually: in my opinion, the display is a bit over saturated, but it's not too bad.

Would you guys say that CM11 is stable enough in its nightly form to be used as a daily driver?

And believe it or not, my Nexus 4 has temporary burn-in even though it's an IPS screen, while my old SGS 3 which is an AMOLED did NOT have any burn in.

Liquorsicc92

Jan 12, 2014
Modesto
Would you guys say that CM11 is stable enough in its nightly form to be used as a daily driver?

Haven't ran CM in a while. I feel I get a much more out of the phone on stock rom (with Google Now launcher and some Wanam Xposed modding)

but to answer your question, yes CM11 is very stable on the note 3 other than NFC not working. Unfortunately, you wont find any AOSP rom at this moment for the Note 3 that has NFC working. I can't really say if the latest CM11 nightlies are stable or not because I haven't ran CM in a while but there is the M5 build which I can tell you is stable. You can check the "official CM nighties" thread in the development section for more solid impute.

To make my answer more strait forward, CM11 nightless have always been stable enough for daily drivers (when I ran them) but I can't confirm that the latest builds are stable because I'm not running CM. Sorry if I'm confusing lol

Last edited:

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
Awesome. Just bought the phone a few minutes ago. Can't wait!:)

Sorry, I just really don't believe in CM on the Note. Other phones for sure. But not on the Note. Putting CM on the Note is like buying a BMW and replacing the entire car with after market. You don't get all the Sammy stuff that this phone was built for. There's alot of gimmicky stuff that nobody (well I don't) use, but there are some fundamental things that are built into TW like note app, and things like that. Using CM i have been able to get all that functionality back, but using alot of 3rd party apps that just don't work as smoothly. My big thing is Sammy trying to make you use it's apps and not giving you the option to map buttons, flicks, blah blah, with other apps like google search.

All in all it comes down to what you prefer and what makes you happy. Very good phone with premium build and specs.

Reactions: d12unk13astard

ajm786

Oct 27, 2010
Sorry, I just really don't believe in CM on the Note. Other phones for sure. But not on the Note. Putting CM on the Note is like buying a BMW and replacing the entire car with after market. You don't get all the Sammy stuff that this phone was built for. There's alot of gimmicky stuff that nobody (well I don't) use, but there are some fundamental things that are built into TW like note app, and things like that. Using CM i have been able to get all that functionality back, but using alot of 3rd party apps that just don't work as smoothly. My big thing is Sammy trying to make you use it's apps and not giving you the option to map buttons, flicks, blah blah, with other apps like google search.

All in all it comes down to what you prefer and what makes you happy. Very good phone with premium build and specs.

I really appreciate the input.

I'm not too interested in all the gimmicks Samsung put on the phone to begin with. Even if I just get a phone with a big screen with CM11, as basic as it sounds, that'd be good enough for me.

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly

I agree. The Note 3 really doesn't have any lag with the TW launcher (though i use Nova Prime) anymore and I use the Stylus and like some of the features it has. To me it's like neutering the phone removing the Spen functionality. Why buy the phone and remove a lot of the point of buying it? Plus TW has grown on me, the UI of CM is so bland it looks like a kids project. I used to use CM on my Bionic but ever since they went commercial and became Cyanogen Inc. i will not use CM anymore, not after what they pulled on developers where they basically stole a lot of the work that individuals did and let CM use to help polish their OS and didn't even at least give credit in most cases, like CM designed it.

Last edited:

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
I agree. The Note 3 really doesn't have any lag with the TW launcher (though i use Nova Prime) anymore and I use the Stylus and like some of the features it has. To me it's like neutering the phone removing the Spen functionality. Why buy the phone and remove a lot of the point of buying it? Plus TW has grown on me, the UI of CM is so bland it looks like a kids project. I used to use CM on my Bionic but ever since they went commercial and became Cyanogen Inc. i will not use CM anymore, not after what they pulled on developers where they basically stole a lot of the work that individuals did and let CM use to help polish their OS and didn't even at least give credit in most cases, like CM designed it.

Yeah. Alot of us were kinda perved about CM doing that, but in return, they gave us "MOUNDS" of stuff to work with. So it's kinda a win , win. Plus Koush works tireslessly still to help out both the forum and the community. So i feel like, whatever lil tweak i announced on here over the years, these guys probably already knew about. Love the XDA community.

ajm786

Oct 27, 2010
Yeah. Alot of us were kinda perved about CM doing that, but in return, they gave us "MOUNDS" of stuff to work with. So it's kinda a win , win. Plus Koush works tireslessly still to help out both the forum and the community. So i feel like, whatever lil tweak i announced on here over the years, these guys probably already knew about. Love the XDA community.

Exactly. This is true. I'm not tied to the hip with CM, but they just update a lot more frequently. Honestly, any ROM that gives me the flexibility that CM does, I'd be cool with.

d12unk13astard

Aug 5, 2010
Bakersucks
I'm with you guys about cm on the note, it was great on previous devices but it just doesn't do the note line any justice. With the specs these notes come with even the bloat fest that is TouchWiz runs flawlessly, I use both adw ex & nova prime myself for a slimmer and more customizable experience but honestly the stock tw launcher is much improved since it's first showing back on the original galaxy s phones.

You buy a note 3 for its beast like specs, it's premium quality sized screen and s-pen. Only people with tiny hands can claim they prefer an HTC one m7/m8. Don't even get me started about build quality on HTC since people will just put a plastic case over it anyways defeating the purpose. Besides note line have proven to be the real game changers when it comes to cutting edge performance and specs, I was yawning over all the other devices that were struggling to keep up with our note 3 lol :rolleyes:

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda premium

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly

Yeah I can see and understand where you're coming from. I know Koush does a lot for the community but that bothered me a bit. Plus the note takes a step back with CM in my opinion so i haven't even been keeping up with CM actually.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You will catch hell from jealous people about the screen size, that's it. Enjoy this awesome phone!
    Yes I do have a note 3. Best phone I have owned, no regrets, no negatives to me at least.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I've always upgraded my phone every year since the treo 600 days to all the htc windows line up and after htc went android. Then I switched to samsung and I've had an s3, note 2, s4, and now note 3. And I can tell you that this is the first time that I haven't had any urge to upgrade.

The only downside but also an upside is the size. handling the phone 1 handed is sometimes a PITA but at the same time I love the big screen. If you can overcome the size, you will not regret this phone. And this is the first phone I've had that I have not rooted, over clocked, or put custom rom. There's just no need. And I'm still on 4.3 as well. It doesn't need kit kat IMO. Although I'm tempted since I always want the latest software.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk