FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Touchscreen / Creaking issues - Info collection thread

313 posts
Thanks Meter: 186

By Chefproll, Senior Member on 29th April 2014, 03:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi there !

It seems many Z2s have creaking and touchscreen problems, sometimes developing after some days of use.
In addition, a lot of Z2 Tablets seem to suffer of a warped, bent chassis: Just peek along the sides of the Z2, check if it's bent, curved.

My Z2 had NO creaking and NO touchscreen issues right from the start - but both problems came up after about two days of use, both issues showed up at the same time. And my Z2 is a "banana" Z2, it's chassis is bent, putting the device under constant physical tension.
Maybe there's a connection; let's find out !

---

Please reveal the following:
1) Z2 Tablet model (Wi-Fi/LTE, RAM size, serial number*, date of manufacture - see below)
2) Firmware version
3) Color (maybe different backplanes cause different stress on the chassis)
4) Market (Europe, USA, Asia, etc. - have a look at the box the Z2 came in; there's an information about the country it was made for)
5) Country of manufacture (I guess it's China for all Z2s produced - but you never know...)
6) Days of use
7) Bent ?
8) Touchscreen problems ?
9) Creaking/loose feel at the bezel (especially at the right hand side, in landscape mode) ?
10) Only if you dare: Bubbles emerging from the bezel area (not speakers) if submerging the Z2 ?

* Serial number: You don't need to mention the full number. Just have a look at the sticker on the box, "SN –": Example: 430101690000142
"141" is the serial number.Replace the last two ciphers with an "x". Result: "1XX". If your serial number is "54321", use this: "543XX"
This way, you don't have to reveal your full serial number - but we still get an idea of the production batch number.

Thank you.

Date of manufacture (thanks to LitoNi for pointing me to this):
It's here:

This is how it looks like if your Z2 is bent:

29th April 2014, 03:57 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
1) LTE, 16 GB, 1XX
2) 17.1.A.2.55
3) Black
4) Europe, France (bought at the German Sony online shop, delivered to Germany)
5) China
6) 12 days (problems started at day 2)
7) Bent !
8) Touchscreen problems !
9) Creaking issues !
10) Didn't dare.
29th April 2014, 04:03 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
1) Wifi 32 gb, Build week: 14w11
2) 17.1.A.2.36
3) Black
4) Europe, Bought via Sony swedish online shop.
5) China
6) 9 days, had creaking and touch problems from the start.
7) Slighty bent but hardly noticably.
8) Touchscreen problems!
9) Creaking issues!
10) Bubbles coming from chassi when fully submerged, top right corner when in landscape mode.
29th April 2014, 09:03 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
1) SGP511 E1/B Wifi version
2) 17.1.A.2.36
3) black
4) Intended for France, bought in germany
5) China
6) 4 days
7) Nope
8) None so far, the only touchscreen issue I'm facing is that I have to be really accurate when touching the buttons. But the touchscreen itself is responding just fine
9) Nope, feels absolutely solid.
10) Haven't tried that yet.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SGP511 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
30th April 2014, 02:47 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
1) LTE, 16 GB
2) 17.1.A.2.36
3) white
4) comtel. (Imports from Asia, mostly Singapore for quality purposes)
5) China
6) 7 days (problems started 2nd day)
7) not sure if bent.
8) Touchscreen problems sometime
9) Creaking sounds is my only concern
10) http://youtu.be/QW1A0SuaUIQ
30th April 2014, 11:54 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Next Z2 just arrived. Again, a "banana", creaking at the left (!) bezel side right out of the box, slightly larger gaps between aluminum and plastic at the side faces than my first Z2, so build quality appears to be even lower. :/

Serial number is 2410, serial of my first Z2 is 142 (funny, same numbers, just reversed) - so there's more than 2000 Z2 produced between first and second device - but still the same problem. :/

Instant return to Sony.

1) LTE, 16 GB, 24XX
2) Didn't check, didn't even start the tablet
3) Black
4) Europe, France (bought at the German Sony online shop, delivered to Germany)
5) China
6) 1 day (bent, creaking right out of the box)
7) Bent !
8) Not checked
9) Creaking issues !
10) Not checked
30th April 2014, 12:49 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
1) 16GB LTE
2) 17.1.A.2.55
3) White
4) Hong Kong
5) China
6) 2 days
7) Nope
8) Yes, similar issue as Xperia Z1
9) No, solid.
10) Haven't tried yet.
30th April 2014, 11:37 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefproll

Next Z2 just arrived. Again, a "banana", creaking at the left (!) bezel side right out of the box, slightly larger gaps between aluminum and plastic at the side faces than my first Z2, so build quality appears to be even lower. :/

Instant return to Sony.

I know you want to keep this thread clean but when I talked to Sony today they said that I have to send it to service, while it seems like you just get yours replaced? Is that the case and how do you work your magic? ;<
1st May 2014, 08:58 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skogstoken

I know you want to keep this thread clean but when I talked to Sony today they said that I have to send it to service, while it seems like you just get yours replaced? Is that the case and how do you work your magic? ;<

If the problem is still their send it back to sony asking for replacement or money back . Its no magic just stop smoking ,start living well.
2nd May 2014, 12:36 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Skogstoken ist partly right...

I bought the Z2s in Germany via Sony's online shop.

After fighting with the first problems, I made a major mistake: I called the "Sonymobile hotline" in Düsseldorf.
You can fully skip that step: Incompetent, not willing to listen, telling me there's no exchange of defective devices, just repair. They even told me to ask my dealer, not able to understand the fact they ARE my dealer... Complete waste of time.

Then I used my Sony account for getting information about returning the device - and a phone number in Frankfurt popped up.
I called them, they offered to send a replacement device at no additional costs.
Presently, I am waiting for TNT to pick up the Z2 for return.

So Skogstoken and others: Find the phone number of Sony's repair/return service, talk to them, skip Sonymobile.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chefproll For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chefproll Ad-Free
3rd May 2014, 07:18 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
1) Z2 Tablet model (Wi-Fi/LTE, RAM size, serial number*): SGP512. 43010177 0000xx
2) Firmware version: 17.1.A.2.36
3) Color (maybe different backplanes cause different stress on the chassis): White
4) Market (Europe, USA, Asia, etc. - have a look at the box the Z2 came in; there's an information about the country it was made for): E2/W (Scandinavia I think)
5) Country of manufacture (I guess it's China for all Z2s produced - but you never know...): China
6) Days of use: About a month
7) Bent: Don't think so
8) Touchscreen problems ? Yes, a lot in the beginning but actually less now (still there though)
9) Creaking/loose feel at the bezel (especially at the right hand side, in landscape mode) ?: Some, but don't think it is muvh
10) Only if you dare: Bubbles emerging from the bezel area (not speakers) if submerging the Z2: Haven't tried

Sent with Tapatalk that ignores my privacy and tracks my activity
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
creaking, issues, problems, touchscreen, z2 tablet

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)