[Mod] Enable Wifi Tethering (Recovery Flashable)

Search This thread

Pure+

May 28, 2013
This mod will enable the Native Tethering on your AT&T HTC M8. All credit for the creation of this mod goes to Miller_Kid for his excellent work.

The purpose of this mod is for those of us (myself included) to be able to stay on our stock rom and still be able to enjoy a feature that is, by default blocked by the carrier, without flashing any custom rom.

Requirements
1- Custom Recovery

Install
1- Download the ZIP (Below)
2- Place on internal or external memory (user preference)
3- Flash in recovery
4- Wipe Dalvik/Cache
5- Profit!

Download
(click mod name to download)
WiFiHS Zip

Johnny424

Jan 28, 2012
King George VA
Is everyone having issue with WiFi tethering on stock? I connect no problem, although I don't ever tether

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Pure+

May 28, 2013
Is everyone having issue with WiFi tethering on stock? I connect no problem, although I don't ever tether

If you don't have a plan that supports tethering, because AT&T only allows the feature on certain data plans, you won't be able to get it.

Reactions: Johnny424

jjbusa

Aug 15, 2006
Do you need soff? Cause I tried it now and it force closes my setting app when trying to turn on and I'm s_on

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda premium

Pure+

May 28, 2013
Do you need soff? Cause I tried it now and it force closes my setting app when trying to turn on and I'm s_on

No you don't. I am 100% stock other than being rooted w/ TWRP and it worked and continues to work flawlessly for me. Did you make sure to wipe cache's?

jjbusa

Aug 15, 2006
Yea weird I dl wifi tether router n good to go. Paid n worth it

Pure+

May 28, 2013
Yea weird I dl wifi tether router n good to go. Paid n worth it

Sorry it didn't work for you. I personally flashed it multiple times across several different M8's and never had anything of that sort happen through all the tests.

Pure+

May 28, 2013
hi I want to know If I got att unlocked version of m8
and I use it on tmobile company can I flash this to make wifi tethering?

No I do not. I can't verify that this will work on anything besides an AT&T M8. But you are welcome to try. Just make a nandroid backup before you flash it.

Sent from my HTC M8

Reactions: paullu

jjbusa

Aug 15, 2006
Did you ever get it figured out? I just flashed the fix, and my settings page force closes as well.

I'm on AT&T stock, rooted, Dev unlocked, with CarrierIQ mod
No I just downloaded wifi tether router works like a charm. Reboots after first setup but then works every time

krakerx

Dec 29, 2008
Long Island, NY
Turns out by freezing Mobile Hotspot and the WiFi Hotspot widget in Titanium Backup caused my FCs. Once defrosted, I was able to get back into the HotSpot settings, and able to connect via my tablet.

Thanks OP for the upload!

Pure+

May 28, 2013
Turns out by freezing Mobile Hotspot and the WiFi Hotspot widget in Titanium Backup caused my FCs. Once defrosted, I was able to get back into the HotSpot settings, and able to connect via my tablet.

Thanks OP for the upload!

Glad you figured it out. And hopefully you solve will help others.

Sent from my nV:M8

volcalstone

Sep 14, 2012
I want to try this mod but I have THE question, will AT&T detect that I'm tethering on my unlimited data plan? Cause they don't play nice when it comes to this at all. Thanks.

Pure+

May 28, 2013
I want to try this mod but I have THE question, will AT&T detect that I'm tethering on my unlimited data plan? Cause they don't play nice when it comes to this at all. Thanks.

All this does is remove the limitation that's built into the system of the device. It does not change anything other than a string of code on the device itself. I can't guarantee AT&T will not figure it out, but if you are smart about it they'll never know. I use tethering every once in a while when my home wifi is struggling. I mainly tether to my iPad mini for streaming YouTube, but occasionally other things like movies and downloading games as well. AT&T never caught on to me. Sadly my dad took it upon himself to change our entire families data plan so he save a measly $5 a person. I told him I'd give him the damn $25 a month but oh well.... Maybe I'll just tether more and we'll go over our data usage and then he'll have to switch it. I've already confirmed with a friend at AT&T that I can have mine back dated and re-activated.

Anyway, enough of being sidetracked, to make a long explanation short.... You won't get caught because of this mod. You'd only get caught of you way way way over use this mod.

Last edited:

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007

Agree with all in the above response to this question. Also, AT&T's method of detection is network based. There is nothing I have seen that on the phone side (mod, etc) that can prevent this.

If your behavior is discrete, and usage is low and only occasional, you will not be caught. Tether large amounts of data, and you will almost certainly be caught.

Pure+

May 28, 2013
Agree with all in the above response to this question. Also, AT&T's method of detection is network based. There is nothing I have seen that on the phone side (mod, etc) that can prevent this.

If your behavior is discrete, and usage is low and only occasional, you will not be caught. Tether large amounts of data, and you will almost certainly be caught.

Agreed on all but the large amounts of data. I would agree with this when on computer and full websites, but like on the iPad or other tablet that use mobile websites rather than full sized I believe your safe because their detection would see that it's a mobile format and therefore not arouse suspicion (If that makes sense)...

Sent from my vR:M8

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Agreed on all but the large amounts of data. I would agree with this when on computer and full websites, but like on the iPad or other tablet that use mobile websites rather than full sized I believe your safe because their detection would see that it's a mobile format and therefore not arouse suspicion (If that makes sense)...

Its unlikely they are looking at webpages and whether they were mobile format or not. The data packets are tagged as tethered, it doesn't matter whether you were viewing mobile pages or not (and that isn't going to conceal the tethering). At least that what folks here that are smarter than me have stated. If true, that means that AT&T can detect any tethering, they just choose not to enforce with zero tolerance (possibly because its simply not practical), but rather to use some additional parameters to decide whether a person is going to receive the "warning" email and subsequently have a tethering plan added to their account.

Nobody here knows for sure what parameters AT&T uses to trigger the "warning" email (and probably not info that AT&T is going to volunteer). But volume of tethered data has been reasonably speculated. I'm surprised to hear that you were able stream YouTube, other movies, and downloads, without getting caught. Could be you were just lucky; or you are in fact correct that tethered data volume is not the key indicator. Nobody except folks at AT&T know for sure.

My advice is still to keep tethered usage to a minimum, in order to stay of their radar.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This mod will enable the Native Tethering on your AT&T HTC M8. All credit for the creation of this mod goes to Miller_Kid for his excellent work.

The purpose of this mod is for those of us (myself included) to be able to stay on our stock rom and still be able to enjoy a feature that is, by default blocked by the carrier, without flashing any custom rom.

Requirements
    1- Custom Recovery

Install
    1- Download the ZIP (Below)
    2- Place on internal or external memory (user preference)
    3- Flash in recovery
    4- Wipe Dalvik/Cache
    5- Profit!

Download
    (click mod name to download)
    WiFiHS Zip

If you don't have a plan that supports tethering, because AT&T only allows the feature on certain data plans, you won't be able to get it.

hi I want to know If I got att unlocked version of m8
    and I use it on tmobile company can I flash this to make wifi tethering?

No I do not. I can't verify that this will work on anything besides an AT&T M8. But you are welcome to try. Just make a nandroid backup before you flash it.

Sent from my HTC M8