[ROM][SM-T320][CM-11.0][Unofficial] CyanogenMod 11.0 for Tab Pro 8.4 WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Hey Guys,

I have noticed a bug when using the "Google Experience Launcher" & the following build:

* Build: 2014-04-22
* gapps-2014-01-05

There is a line of white pixels down the left side of the screen once the device is unlocked or booted for the first time.

I have attached a screenshot.

Interested to know if anyone else is having this issue?

--
dac9

I think it's an issue with GEL. I have the same problem on a completely different device (Photon Q) running CM11:

Screenshot_2014-04-29-01-28-12.png

(Hard to see in the image, but I do notice a white line on the leftmost edge of the screen when in landscape mode).

Edit - I modded the image a bit, just added a black border around it so the line can easily be seen. I don't see this line on the edge of the screen while in portrait mode.

Last edited:

_dsouza_

Apr 22, 2014
Porto Alegre
Fyi, I've been working on getting this as an officially supported device. It was mentioned in

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/this-week-in-cm-apr-26-2014

and right now we are waiting on

http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/63048/

(and then for me to fix anything that goes wrong after it starts the nightly builds).

That's really good news! I believe that since for now you are the only developer doing all the work so far, you should deserve special kudos! :)

Rand Brittain

Aug 3, 2012
Hm. Whenever I plug the device in while it's powered off, the battery icon appears and then freezes while the "kernel is not seandroid enforcing" message pops up. I wonder if I did something wrong while installing CWM?

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Hm. Whenever I plug the device in while it's powered off, the battery icon appears and then freezes while the "kernel is not seandroid enforcing" message pops up. I wonder if I did something wrong while installing CWM?

TWRP seems to do the same thing, the recovery (or kernel rather) might not be setup for offline charging.

_dsouza_

Apr 22, 2014
Porto Alegre

This message is from KNOX. It is not a recovery tool message.

TWRP seems to do the same thing, the recovery (or kernel rather) might not be setup for offline charging.

crpalmer can confirm, but AFAIK this issue t is not related to the recovery tool used.

BTW, I can confirm this problem. With tablet off, connecting the charger shows the battery icon and then it freezes (when it was supposed to show some sort of animation showing the charging status). Only way to exit this state is a forced power off (long press power button).

So, currently charging only works with the OS running.

Last edited:

davinche

Oct 24, 2008
Am I wrong or does this mean if tabpro were to be completely drained of battery, you would be unable to charge it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

_dsouza_

Apr 22, 2014
Porto Alegre
Am I wrong or does this mean if tabpro were to be completely drained of battery, you would be unable to charge it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That's a good point. I think (and I do emphasize that I think, so I am not sure) there is some sort of dedicated micro-controller in the circuit for charing the battery (i.e. hardware). I don't know how much the kernel (i.e. software executed by the main CPU) is responsible for initializing this circuit or for actually controlling the battery charging. If in fact the charging logic depends on the software, this current problem could actually result on the situation you mentioned. On the other hand, if the micro-controller (responsible for the battery charging logic) can operate independently from the main CPU software (which I believe it is the case), than this issue could be true.

So it is my understanding that the hardware is designed to be able to charge the battery even before the main CPU is booted. There are some situations (even with stock ROMs) that the battery level can be so low that the tablet cannot boot at all (so the main CPU cannot start nor run any code). Therefore the hardware has to be designed to be able to charge the battery at least to some level sufficient to boot the main CPU and run the initialization code.

Bottom line: for this reason I believe this should not be a critical problem, but just to be on the safe side you should avoid depleting your battery until this issue is resolved. :good:

Last edited:

crpalmer

Mar 25, 2011
I just took a look at this and it looks perfectly normal to me.

I obviously haven't tried completely discharging the battery because that is really hard to do. Aside from that, when you power off the tablet and then plug it in, it boots into a low power mode to let you know that it is charging.

On a phone of mine someone added a battery percentage indicator which may or may not be possible on Samsung devices. I haven't looked at it. But otherwise it was exactly the same.

I did "run it down" by running Antutu a bunch of times, powered off the tablet and then plugged it in. It was at 97% when I powered it off. After a little while I powered it up again and it was showing as fully charged.

So, as I said, looks like it's all working fine to me.

_dsouza_

Apr 22, 2014
Porto Alegre
I just took a look at this and it looks perfectly normal to me.

I obviously haven't tried completely discharging the battery because that is really hard to do. Aside from that, when you power off the tablet and then plug it in, it boots into a low power mode to let you know that it is charging.

On a phone of mine someone added a battery percentage indicator which may or may not be possible on Samsung devices. I haven't looked at it. But otherwise it was exactly the same.

I did "run it down" by running Antutu a bunch of times, powered off the tablet and then plugged it in. It was at 97% when I powered it off. After a little while I powered it up again and it was showing as fully charged.

So, as I said, looks like it's all working fine to me.

Well, if the tablet is powered off, and if you connect to the charger, can you boot from this situation by a quick press on power button?

What we are seeing is that in this situation the tablet becomes unresponsive. It is not possible to boot from this state. We need a forced power down, then a regular boot and then it boots OK (even with the charging cable connected). Steps to reproduce:

1. Disconnect USB cable
  2. Power down the tablet
  3. Connect to the charger (with sufficient current to trigger the charging process)
  4. It boots the kernel in charging mode. A battery graph is displayed, with the "wait" circle icon that should be spining, but it is not.
  5. Disconnect the cable, nothing happens
  6. Quick press power button, nothing happens
  7. A long press in the power button is required for a forced poweroff.

Anyway, this is with the 20140422 build. Perhaps you are running a more recent build in your tablet that could have this problem solved. :good:

Last edited:

vnamee

Apr 4, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Bottom line: for this reason I believe this should not be a critical problem, but just to be on the safe side you should avoid depleting your battery until this issue is resolved. :good:

I have used my tablet and run out all the power, at least to the point it won't turn on again when I tried to power it back on. I plug in the charger and it might not turn on right away, but will always turn on after a few seconds or a minute once it's got some juice back in it. I don't know what the issues are with it not turning on while off and charging or whatever, but I am confident there is no issues running down the power and charging it back up.

Last edited:
Reactions: davinche

crpalmer

Mar 25, 2011
I have used my tablet and run out all the power, at least to the point it won't turn on again when I tried to power it back on. I plug in the charger and it might not turn on right away, but will always turn on after a few seconds or a minute once it's got some juice back in it. I don't know what the issues are with it not turning on while off and charging or whatever, but I am confident there is no issues running down the power and charging it back up.

I agree. I simply said I didn't test it because it took some effort to get down to 97% and I certainly wasn't going to spend the time to go all the way down to zero. Thanks for posting some concrete information to help people that have suddenly gotten concerned...

Reactions: Silkmeister1

Crsdr37

Aug 3, 2010
Concord
Any body test art yet out on more recent builds because I changed it on my. Moto x and its so much faster.

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium HD app

_dsouza_

Apr 22, 2014
Porto Alegre
Any body test art yet out on more recent builds because I changed it on my. Moto x and its so much faster.

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium HD app

I am running ART on my TabPro 8.4 with CM build 20140422 from crpalmer without any issue so far! However I cannot say how much faster it is than Dalvik. I also have a Moto X that is running ART.

BTW, comparing my Nexus 10 with my TabPro 8.4 (with CM) side-by-side, I have the impression that the Nexus 10 is more responsive in some situations (which is the opposite I would expect). Anyway, just empiric tests (such as clicking on "settings" and waiting the UI to be displayed), nothing scientific!

EDIT: I just did some additional non-scientific tests comparing Nexus 10 with TabPro 8.4 CM performance. In fact the settings app loads faster in Nexus 10. But I believe it is because the CM settings has more functionality than the standard Android settings app. All the rest I tested (loading some apps, games and Chrome) is a tad faster in the TabPro 8.4 CM. Probably because of the better CPU and ART enabled in the TabPro.

BTW, the cold boot of TabPro with CM is *much* faster than the Nexus 10 boot.

Last edited:

_dsouza_

Apr 22, 2014
Porto Alegre
CM 11 20140422 vs Stock Performance

OK, here are some more scientific performance tests. I executed AnTuTu benchmark both on CM 11 20140422 and on Stock 4.4.2 in the TabPro 8.4.

Below are the results:

OtuePLS.png

It is interesting to notice that while CM performance is better overall, the "UX Runtime" performance in CM is much worse, less than half of the performance in stock (EDIT: this is for ART - Dalvik is not as bad - see EDIT2 below for more details). I am not sure what is the actual impact of this item in the overall performance.

Below are the screenshots from the results of the tests:

EDIT 1: CM was running with ART enabled in the above tests. I am not sure if this could affect the results. I will run the tests again with CM/Dalvik.

EDIT 2: I just executed AnTuTu again in CM 11 with Dalvik this time and I have updated the original table above to include these results. Interestingly the CM performance with Dalvik was better than with ART. "UX Runtime" performance improved with Dalvik, but is still significantly worse than performance of stock ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malay96 and ky3bmu4

crpalmer

Mar 25, 2011
New Build: 2014-05-02

* All upstream changes as of about 6 hours ago
* Small WiFi fixes
* Removed Torch, it doesn't work
* Fix the gesture trails, etc. for the keyboard
=> Note: This depends on a commit that is still under review so if nightlies kick in this may temporary go back to broken
* Remove option to configure lock screen rotation and always allow rotation
=> This also fixes the fact that the lock screen didn't rotate when the rotation was locked on landscape

_dsouza_

Apr 22, 2014
Porto Alegre
Thanks for the new build!

BTW:

(...)Remove option to configure lock screen rotation and always allow rotation(...)

Does the "Lock Rotation" in Quick Settings still work? I mean, I use to lock the screen rotation very often, and I believe that locking the screen rotation is a basic feature that should not be removed... Anyway, just MHO...

crpalmer

Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for the new build!

BTW:

Does the "Lock Rotation" in Quick Settings still work? I mean, I use to lock the screen rotation very often, and I believe that locking the screen rotation is a basic feature that should not be removed... Anyway, just MHO...

You grouped those words incorrectly when you read it...

"Lock screen" rotation, not lock "screen rotation".

You can no longer choose to stop the lock screen from being rotatable (but it should lock in the right rotation if you lock the screen).

Reactions: _dsouza_

_dsouza_

Apr 22, 2014
Porto Alegre
You grouped those words incorrectly when you read it...

"Lock screen" rotation, not lock "screen rotation".

You can no longer choose to stop the lock screen from being rotatable (but it should lock in the right rotation if you lock the screen).

Even after I read your response I still hadn't got it. I believe my brain is slow today... :) But finally I got it: the lock rotation of the *lock screen* was disabled. But the lock rotation of the *normal screen* is still there. I am happy now! :)

Downloading the new build, will do a clean install. Thanks again for your work and patience with a non-native English speaker! :)

Last edited:

_dsouza_

Apr 22, 2014
Porto Alegre
Clean install of new build, everything running smoothly! Trail of gesture typing in stock keyboard working now both in portrait and landscape modes!

To be perfect, I am only missing the lid switch sensor... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.4.2 (Kitkat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. Your changelog is whatever was merged into gerrit.

Links

* Current Build: 2014-05-04
    * GAPPs: gapps-2014-01-05

Source Code

* CyanogenMod: github.com/CyanogenMod
    * Device specific repos in my dev thread.

XDA:DevDB Information
    CyanogenMod 11.0 for MondrianWiFi (T320) [Unofficial], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2, 10.1, 8.4

Contributors
    crpalmer

Version Information

Created 2014-03-01
    Last Updated 2014-05-08
    Reserved

Working:

* App switch capacitive key
    * Audio (speaker, headphones, VOIP)
    * Auto-brightness of the display
    * Bluetooth
    * Camera (include camcorder and video chat)
    * Display
    * GPS
    * IR blaster
    * Lid sensor
    * Removable SD card
    * Rotator
    * Sensors
    * USB-OTG including usbdisk
    * Vibrator
    * Voice recognition
    * WiFi

Not Working:

* Nothing!

Other:

* MX Player with H/W decoder stutters but using H/W+ decoder seems to work fine
    * Has phone capabilities (which I may or may not fix depending on whether or not I try to add support for the EUR LTE edition).
    running great. thanks. you take donations. appreciate the work on this.

Nope, I do not accept donations, just thanks...
    New Build: 2014-05-02

* All upstream changes as of about 6 hours ago
    * Small WiFi fixes
    * Removed Torch, it doesn't work
    * Fix the gesture trails, etc. for the keyboard
    => Note: This depends on a commit that is still under review so if nightlies kick in this may temporary go back to broken
    * Remove option to configure lock screen rotation and always allow rotation
    => This also fixes the fact that the lock screen didn't rotate when the rotation was locked on landscape
    New Build: 2014-05-04

* Lid switch (flip switch) should now allow cases to turn the tablet on and off when opened and closed
    * USB-OTG config improvement
    * Improve smoothness of interactive governor
    * Remove Samsung's freq limiter
    * Remove Samsung's touch boosts for touchscreen and physical keys (CM does this in userspace)
    * Remove edge swipe detection in the touchscreen