[Q] White Balance Settings ~ Camera produces wrong colours

Search This thread

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Guys,
I have only had my Z2 a few days so am still assessing the good and bad.
However, if I had to single out one bad item I have found it would be the White Balance on shots taken with the camera. These shots are clearly out when it comes to Reds and Blacks.
As an example if I take an evening shot of a lit street; although the lighting is Orange the colours from the lights bouncing down onto the road are Red.
The bricks on houses are way too saturated in Red, in fact most of the shot taken produces a Red element especially anything that is Grey in colour.
A similar situation is with Blacks; here I see Black turned into a bright Blue.

Now initially I was going to return the Z2 back to Phones4u but after altering the White Balance settings from the Settings/Display I managed to eliminate most of the incorrect colours.

Had everything been incorrect in colours and with that I mean all the screens from all other Apps and not just the cameras shots taken, in other words if the phone itself was producing incorrect Whites on all the screens I would have understood but all the other screens from all the Apps have a correct White setting, it's only the camera that is showing incorrect colours and I'm sure I should not have to alter the Settings/Display White Balance to set this correct. That to me is badly set up WB setting on my particular Z2.

Anyway, In order to ascertain the level of incorrect WB may I ask what settings are you using for your general White Balance in the Display Settings? If you have not altered the settings and you are happy with your shots as in nothing indicates the problems I have found then can you say you have not altered your White Balance.

As I have mentioned, I found the standard settings resulted in the shots taken having a strong red tint. So I applied a setting of the following to correct this:-

Red = 0
Green = 177
Blue = 177

These settings seemed to bring the colours back to normal…

I would appreciate your settings which ultimately will help decide whether or not to return my Z2.

Thank you.

Reactions: PaulVulcan

Fenix

May 11, 2005
Those settings are only for the screen, it doesn't have to do anything with the wb of the camera. Might look on display different / better but it doesn't effect the pictures themselves...

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Those settings are only for the screen, it doesn't have to do anything with the wb of the camera. Might look on display different / better but it doesn't effect the pictures themselves...

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I'm happy that the shots taken will be okay on a different device say a PC/Mac or whatever but I most definitely notice a difference when viewing the shots in the Album App.

BanziBaby

Oct 21, 2010
Try turning off the x-reality option in display options then check the images again in the album app, I had to turn it off due to it making some pics look strange, it basically makes the colours on images look to poppy like Samsung displays. A pic of my gf had blue halo around her face with x-reality on, with it off the pic looked normal.

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Try turning off the x-reality option in display options then check the images again in the album app, I had to turn it off due to it making some pics look strange, it basically makes the colours on images look to poppy like Samsung displays. A pic of my gf had blue halo around her face with x-reality on, with it off the pic looked normal.

Thanks but that was the first thing I did.....
Yes, it erased the saturation but didn't change the colours on screen.
Only by altering the WB could I get the shots on screen to look correct.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys,
    I have only had my Z2 a few days so am still assessing the good and bad.
    However, if I had to single out one bad item I have found it would be the White Balance on shots taken with the camera. These shots are clearly out when it comes to Reds and Blacks.
    As an example if I take an evening shot of a lit street; although the lighting is Orange the colours from the lights bouncing down onto the road are Red.
    The bricks on houses are way too saturated in Red, in fact most of the shot taken produces a Red element especially anything that is Grey in colour.
    A similar situation is with Blacks; here I see Black turned into a bright Blue.

Now initially I was going to return the Z2 back to Phones4u but after altering the White Balance settings from the Settings/Display I managed to eliminate most of the incorrect colours.

Had everything been incorrect in colours and with that I mean all the screens from all other Apps and not just the cameras shots taken, in other words if the phone itself was producing incorrect Whites on all the screens I would have understood but all the other screens from all the Apps have a correct White setting, it's only the camera that is showing incorrect colours and I'm sure I should not have to alter the Settings/Display White Balance to set this correct. That to me is badly set up WB setting on my particular Z2.

Anyway, In order to ascertain the level of incorrect WB may I ask what settings are you using for your general White Balance in the Display Settings? If you have not altered the settings and you are happy with your shots as in nothing indicates the problems I have found then can you say you have not altered your White Balance.

As I have mentioned, I found the standard settings resulted in the shots taken having a strong red tint. So I applied a setting of the following to correct this:-

Red = 0
    Green = 177
    Blue = 177

These settings seemed to bring the colours back to normal…

I would appreciate your settings which ultimately will help decide whether or not to return my Z2.

Thank you.