[Q] Input Issues and Data Connection Drops

Search This thread

Mirudus

May 5, 2014
Hey there.

I have a stock Samsung Galaxy S4 Active on the AT&T network. Recently, I've been plagued by a number of troubles.

Bit of background:
For a while, I had the most bizarre issue: the screen thought I was touching it when I wasn't, near the bottom-middle of the screen, and would attempt to open/click on anything in that area. Often turning the screen on and off would help, for a little while. I was reaching my wits' end, because that would obviously be very frustrating to someone who uses their phone frequently throughout the day.

I thought maybe it had been new software I had installed, so I did a factory reset. Problem remained. I factory reset with NO backups. Problem remained. I updated to 4.4.2 via OTA. Problem remained...

And then mysteriously went away on its own.

I've been working in tech for a decade now, mainly in PC and server architecture, so I know better than to look a gift horse in the mouth - but I also know better than to think a problem that "mysteriously" goes away is gone for good. So the first part of my question: does anyone know what could have possibly been causing this?

I'm not super phone-savvy. I've rooted and flashed a few phones in the past couple years, but I'm by no means developer-level.

---------------------

Which brings me to my next problem... around the time that this issue went away, another one cropped up. Randomly, my phone will stop sending/receiving texts/calls, and the data connection will not function. This will continue until I turn on airplane mode and turn it off--at that point I receive all my missed texts, and it works again... sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes for nearly 2 days. It's really frustrating. I've tried factory resets, I've tried restoring default APNs... but I'm at my wit's end with this. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Mirudus

May 5, 2014
I should add that, with my last issue, it still shows a data connection in the notification bar - but there is none, or at least, no activity on it. It doesn't simply act as if it's in airplane mode and go "wah no data network" as soon as I try using it--it just simply hangs for ~30 seconds, then times out. Messages don't get received, webpages don't load, calls don't get placed, etc.