[Q] How Easy is it to flash internation Rom on Carrier phone?

Search This thread

RizSher

Oct 26, 2010
HI,

Planning to pick up a T-Mobile M8 - don't particularly care for the stuff T-Nobile puts on phones. My old Note 2 came loaded with software etc that I didn't need, apparently, the Note 3 has all sorts of security software in addition to t-mobile goodies. Before, I used to just flash a 3rd party rom and be done with it.

Now, I have my company emails running on my phone, and the secure software refuses to be installed on "tampered" devices, rooted/jail-broken etc.

How easy or difficult is it to flash an internation sense rom on the M8 - is it even possible?. And, can it be done without needing to Root the phone?.

Riz

RizSher

Oct 26, 2010
Anyone?.

Found this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356401 for another HTC phone

I got tired of waiting for AT&T to release updates for the HTC One and now that we have S-OFF and SuperCID I decided to look into converting my HTC One into an International edition so that I can flash an international ROM and receive OTAs more rapidly.

I would love to flash ARHD, Trickdroid and etc, however I use my phone for work and our security software will detect if the phone is rooted or has a modified OS installed so I needed to stick to stock in order to pass all security checks.

Is there any similar way for the M8?.

Thanks.
Riz

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
Grab a stock nandroid for the international version and a stock recovery for it. Restore the nandroid and flash the stock recovery and reboot. You can change your cid to the International cid or super cid. The ota will work either way.

There's a thread with stock backups in the general section

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

RizSher

Oct 26, 2010
Grab a stock nandroid for the international version and a stock recovery for it. Restore the nandroid and flash the stock recovery and reboot. You can change your cid to the International cid or super cid. The ota will work either way.

There's a thread with stock backups in the general section

Thanks for the reply exad.

Would flashing the recovery in any way make the phone appear tampered ?.

MobileIron, the corporate email tool we use is quite finicky - I had to give up my Note 3 as it had been rooted (and had the Knox counter tripped), even flashing it back to stock and unrooting didn't make it fit for mobileiron - so I'm a bit wary of making the m8 unfit as well.

Also, how do we flash nandroids and recoveries in the htc world?..I've spent far too long with Samsung's and not sure how things work on htcs..

Riz

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
You need to bootloader unlock so yes your bootloader will show it has been tampered. There is a way to hide this with S-off if your phone can achieve s-off. But that doesn't mean your software will necessarily work properly.

I've never owned a Samsung device but it must be quite different as it is my experience on these forums that people who claim to have rooted Samsung phones in the past seem to have no idea what recovery, kernel, adb, fastboot are or even what superuser entails.

I could explain everything to you but I'm not that nice. Everything is explained in the m8 forums if you read all stickies in all sections and actually try to understand the concepts rather than just start following guides blindly, you'll do just fine.