[Q] People/Contacts

Search This thread

ufkal

Sep 10, 2010
St. Louis
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Am I the only one having problems transitioning to the People application for HTC? I again hate to be that guy who says, "On the Samsung", but, on the Samsung phones, I could edit the contacts to take individual ringtones AND message alerts. This does not seem to be a feature with People. People also seems to be separating out my contacts by individual phone number and email. I'm certain its a learning process for me, but if ANYONE has any help, or suggestions I'd really really appreciate it.

TIA!!!

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
Am I the only one having problems transitioning to the People application for HTC? I again hate to be that guy who says, "On the Samsung", but, on the Samsung phones, I could edit the contacts to take individual ringtones AND message alerts. This does not seem to be a feature with People. People also seems to be separating out my contacts by individual phone number and email. I'm certain its a learning process for me, but if ANYONE has any help, or suggestions I'd really really appreciate it.

TIA!!!

Sorry, I have no idea what kind of 3rd party app Samsung devices use, but I also only have the ability to assign an individual ringtone, not individual message alerts.

As far as it separating contacts by phone number and email, do you mean you have, for instance, one contact for your mom for her cell phone, and another separate contact for her email? Because that's not happening for me. If that's the case, Touchwiz may have stored contacts in an odd fashion that Google wasn't expecting, so when it pulled your contacts back down for your M8 it couldn't categorize them correctly? But that's just a wild guess. I came from a Galaxy Nexus, but before that I had a Droid X, and my contacts have been correct since day 1.

Reactions: ufkal

ufkal

Sep 10, 2010
St. Louis
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Sorry, I have no idea what kind of 3rd party app Samsung devices use, but I also only have the ability to assign an individual ringtone, not individual message alerts.

As far as it separating contacts by phone number and email, do you mean you have, for instance, one contact for your mom for her cell phone, and another separate contact for her email? Because that's not happening for me. If that's the case, Touchwiz may have stored contacts in an odd fashion that Google wasn't expecting, so when it pulled your contacts back down for your M8 it couldn't categorize them correctly? But that's just a wild guess. I came from a Galaxy Nexus, but before that I had a Droid X, and my contacts have been correct since day 1.

Yeah, that is exactly what I mean. and it appears to be all over the place. And this is just a personal feeling, but it doesn't feel clean. or intuitive. Not a biggie, I was just curious. I try to use stock applications, but if stock messaging won't let me assign specific message alerts, I'll just use something else.

Thanks for the reply.

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
Yeah, that is exactly what I mean. and it appears to be all over the place. And this is just a personal feeling, but it doesn't feel clean. or intuitive. Not a biggie, I was just curious. I try to use stock applications, but if stock messaging won't let me assign specific message alerts, I'll just use something else.

Thanks for the reply.

No problem, sorry I couldn't help more. I actually just went through my contacts, and though there were a lot of dupes, it's actually because I apparently had separate contacts for some people (in all the cases the names of the dupes were slightly different, or only the first name for one, then first and last for the other, etc). But I didn't see any that were obviously just separated by the HTC app. Try Go Contacts maybe? It's fairly popular I think. I don't know if it supports per-contact message alert tones though, but I haven't used it in over 2 years.

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012
You got to go into settings within the people app (from dialer), bro. Then you can uncheck all the extra pulls you don't need, then 'link' contacts. If you check in there now, and look above your name, I bet there are some link/join suggestions waiting for you.

I know exactly what you're talking. It's the first thing I did on this phone and it was a mess. Got it all cleaned up doing what I said above.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW

Reactions: ufkal

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TIA!!!

You got to go into settings within the people app (from dialer), bro. Then you can uncheck all the extra pulls you don't need, then 'link' contacts. If you check in there now, and look above your name, I bet there are some link/join suggestions waiting for you.

I know exactly what you're talking. It's the first thing I did on this phone and it was a mess. Got it all cleaned up doing what I said above.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW