[Q] New HTC One -- Where to start?

Search This thread

cpurick

Jul 29, 2011
Browsed the stickies for this stuff, but the closest I found was a pretty old post from before Verizon shut down S-Off.

I have a new HTC One w/ build 1.10.605.8 (Android 4.2.2/Sense 5.0). How far behind is this? Does it mean I have a better chance for exploits to work? I'm making a point of not putting the phone into a position where it might take an OTA. Presumably hacking the phone gets harder with the latest builds.

I would like to root this, if possible. If I can unlock the bootloader that's even better. S-Off not as important, but I'll do it if it's the pathway to an unlocked boot. I'm guessing there are still ways to unlock this (or equivalent) since Big Red shut down our HTC Dev?

Is there a current thread discussing this? Maybe somebody can show me where the latest info is. Or at least tell me what the general strategy is for customizing this device, if it's possible.

I'm pretty comfortable with this stuff; I once had to use a wire to S-Off an HTC Rezound. I just need to know where to go to find the current tools.

I saw references to weaksauce, rumrunner and firewater. Are these current? Can someone steer me toward the latest and greatest???

Last edited:

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
Browsed the stickies for this stuff, but the closest I found was a pretty old post from before Verizon shut down S-Off.

I have a new HTC One w/ build 1.10.605.8 (Android 4.2.2/Sense 5.0). How far behind is this? Does it mean I have a better chance for exploits to work? I'm making a point of not putting the phone into a position where it might take an OTA. Presumably hacking the phone gets harder with the latest builds.

I would like to root this, if possible. If I can unlock the bootloader that's even better. S-Off not as important, but I'll do it if it's the pathway to an unlocked boot. I'm guessing there are still ways to unlock this (or equivalent) since Big Red shut down our HTC Dev?

Is there a current thread discussing this? Maybe somebody can show me where the latest info is. Or at least tell me what the general strategy is for customizing this device, if it's possible.

I'm pretty comfortable with this stuff; I once had to use a wire to S-Off an HTC Rezound. I just need to know where to go to find the current tools.

I saw references to weaksauce, rumrunner and firewater. Are these current? Can someone steer me toward the latest and greatest???

Since you're on 4.2.2 and 5.0 you should be able to use rumrunner.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2473644

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
Thank you very much.

Looks like this tool sets S-Off? Does that disable/bypass the signature checks in the bootloader, or does it allow install of an alternate bootloader? How do I get from S-Off to a custom ROM?

Not sure exactly, but once you're s-off you can just flash a recovery via fastboot and then flash a custom Rom through recovery.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

cpurick

Jul 29, 2011
I used rumrunner because my older build was identified as being vulnerable to that exploit. I'm not sure about the interactions between S-Off and Bootloader because the device+build-specific rumrunner did both S-Off and unlocked BL in addition to rooting it. It says "unlock" but the experience looked like an engineering bootloader had been installed. The phone acquired a proprietary HTC disclaimer at startup.

If you have an early enough build, I would definitely recommend rumrunner for unlocking it. That program totally pwned the phone.

GrayBoltWolf

Mar 21, 2012
Raleigh, NC
boltwolf.net
I used rumrunner because my older build was identified as being vulnerable to that exploit. I'm not sure about the interactions between S-Off and Bootloader because the device+build-specific rumrunner did both S-Off and unlocked BL in addition to rooting it. It says "unlock" but the experience looked like an engineering bootloader had been installed. The phone acquired a proprietary HTC disclaimer at startup.

If you have an early enough build, I would definitely recommend rumrunner for unlocking it. That program totally pwned the phone.

The warning comes when you go S-Off. Every HTC One with S-Off does that. Rumrunner did its job.