[Q] Reboot to recovery keeps running CF-auto-root

Search This thread

bozob

Dec 29, 2007
I just got a new (refurbished?) S3 from ATT's insurance program (never doing that again...For the price of the insurance and the deductible I could've gotten a very clean used one.) I tried rooting it with CF-auto-root onto 4.3 which worked well for me on the now dead S3 I had that had an OTA upgrade, but it didn't root. Now a reboot to recovery always runs CF-auto-root. I'm sure that the same thing keeping the phone from rooting is keeping CF-auto-root from restoring the bootloader, but I have no idea what that is and how to fix it.

Any ideas? Is this a KNOX issue?

Using I747UCUEMJB with Oct '13 build.

petenatas

Aug 27, 2012
I just got a new (refurbished?) S3 from ATT's insurance program (never doing that again...For the price of the insurance and the deductible I could've gotten a very clean used one.) I tried rooting it with CF-auto-root onto 4.3 which worked well for me on the now dead S3 I had that had an OTA upgrade, but it didn't root. Now a reboot to recovery always runs CF-auto-root. I'm sure that the same thing keeping the phone from rooting is keeping CF-auto-root from restoring the bootloader, but I have no idea what that is and how to fix it.

Any ideas? Is this a KNOX issue?

Using I747UCUEMJB with Oct '13 build.

Install GOOMANAGER from Google Play and install the custom recovery from within the app to fix this problem.

bozob

Dec 29, 2007
Install GOOMANAGER from Google Play and install the custom recovery from within the app to fix this problem.

Thanks for the response.

GOOMANAGER won't work. It requires that the device be rooted first, but CF-auto-root was never able to root the phone. I think the same thing that is keeping it from rewriting the recovery after rooting the device is also keeping it from rooting the device and loading the SuperSU binary.

Is there something new on this S3 that is making this phone non-rootable? Or am I just missing something?

petenatas

Aug 27, 2012
Thanks for the response.

GOOMANAGER won't work. It requires that the device be rooted first, but CF-auto-root was never able to root the phone. I think the same thing that is keeping it from rewriting the recovery after rooting the device is also keeping it from rooting the device and loading the SuperSU binary.

Is there something new on this S3 that is making this phone non-rootable? Or am I just missing something?

Did you try to flash the recovery image through the bootloader with adb?

bozob

Dec 29, 2007
Did you try to flash the recovery image through the bootloader with adb?

I just loaded TWRP 2.7.0.0. I tried to look through the files (I loaded a zip of SuperSU yesterday onto the phone) but when I look at the text screen I see the following.

E: Unable to find partition size for '/boot'
E: Primary block device '/dev/block/mmcblk0p15' for mount point '/data' is not present.
Unable to mount '/data'
Unable to recreate /data/media folder.
Unable to find partition size for '/recovery'
Updating Partition details....
Unable to mount '/system'

Would TWRP's "Fix Permissions" solve this? I'm hesitant to use it without finding out more about "Fix Permissions", but I can't seem to find any detail on it.
Unable to mount /data/media during GUI startup
Full SELinux support is present
Finished running boot script.
Unable to mount 'cache'
Unable to mount /data/media/TWRP/.twrps when trying to read settings file.

Would TWRP's "Fix Permissions" solve this? I'm hesitant to use it without finding out more about "Fix Permissions", but I can't seem to find any detail on it.

Last edited:

bozob

Dec 29, 2007
I just loaded TWRP 2.7.0.0. I tried to look through the files (I loaded a zip of SuperSU yesterday onto the phone) but when I look at the text screen I see the following.

E: Unable to find partition size for '/boot'
E: Primary block device '/dev/block/mmcblk0p15' for mount point '/data' is not present.
Unable to mount '/data'
Unable to recreate /data/media folder.
Unable to find partition size for '/recovery'
Updating Partition details....
Unable to mount '/system'

Unable to mount /data/media during GUI startup
Full SELinux support is present
Finished running boot script.
Unable to mount 'cache'
Unable to mount /data/media/TWRP/.twrps when trying to read settings file.

OK...I tried "Fix Permissions" and it didn't change a thing.

Still can't get TWRP to mount anything. Probably this is because of the same problem keeping CF-auto-root from working.

bozob

Dec 29, 2007
I've installed adb and can shell into the phone when it is in it's normal OS. But there is no SU command available.

But now I'm lost as to how to go about gaining root access and I haven't been able to locate anything similar to my problem online.

I'm now looking for suggestions from someone who might know more about this than I do.