SD Card Pointless

Search This thread

CraigUK87

Mar 29, 2011
Calne
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So, Samsung have boasted that they can have 128GB SD card support.... what is the point in that if you can't install apps to it... All the guides i've followed have not been clear enough in regards to using my 64GB SD as the "internal" I've tried numerous apps from Link2SD and Internal2ExternalSD none of which have worked

I've also tried to partition it in the hope it would work that way, but no... it just took off what I partitioned and the excess was still displayed as SD storage!!!

Does anyone have any ideas?? because I'm really tempting to take the phone back.. a waste of money in my eyes.... who the hell at Google thought 16GB would be enough to store games and apps on..... Please... Please someone help me here, has anyone managed to use their SD as internal??

PS I also know that KitKat took away move to sd support... so before anyone says that, I know =)

Reactions: difyel

Thomasba

Google are the one's we should be venting our anger at. Samsung do make the devices with more storage so they've covered their backsides on that one, but it's Google that in my opinion have done this deliberately to force us all to use cloud storage. I do however believe that Samsung and other manufacturers should be going back to Google and applying pressure on them to rethink.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

D33KK

Sep 20, 2009
I have many games installed on my memory card?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1399644574783.jpg
    1399644574783.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 3,193

Michael_P

Jun 3, 2012
have you ever even tried an S5 or you just making assumptions?
Because it has app moving built in and works just fine.

Reactions: mefistos

adie1234

Jun 1, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20
All my apps are automatically installing to my memory card fine on my s5...all thats on internal mem is the sammy junk

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CraigUK87

Mar 29, 2011
Calne
Google Pixel 6 Pro
MOD EDIT: Comments removed

Anyway, so am i doing something wrong...because i play a lot of big games I.E. ones that take over 3GB, so when i "move" to sd... it transfers about 80MB out of 3GB... please explain what i've done wrong???? I've never used a Samsung before!

Seriously, it was a genuine question, I even went into the Samsung store today to enquire about it all...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Salem's galaxy

MohJee

Nov 3, 2012
Anyway, so am i doing something wrong...because i play a lot of big games I.E. ones that take over 3GB, so when i "move" to sd... it transfers about 80MB out of 3GB... please explain what i've done wrong???? I've never used a Samsung before!

Seriously, it was a genuine question, I even went into the Samsung store today to enquire about it all...

MOD EDIT: Some comments removed

What amount is transferable to the SD card is dependent on the game, not the phone or the SD card itself. large games rely on downloadable data which is not transferable, because they need to be located in a certain place in the phone in order for the game to run (usually android/obb or android/data).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigUK87

Mar 29, 2011
Calne
Google Pixel 6 Pro
What amount is transferable to the SD card is dependent on the game, not the phone or the SD card itself. large games rely on downloadable data which is not transferable, because they need to be located in a certain place in the phone in order for the game to run (usually android/obb or android/data).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ok, I understand that...can i move the "Android" folder across to the SD via a file browser app... would that work? or will the S5 not read the files anymore... I've just tried that foldermount app... moved my spotify songs across, only to find Spotify losing all the music and then asking to redownload it.... is there a way to maybe mount the SD as a mirror... or at least as the internal card itself.. with other people saying that it "works" fine.. then maybe they arn't reading what I'm asking correctly..

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
"Attention Wal-Mart staff, we need a clean-up in aisle 6!"

Ok members, I see a lot of tempers and un-called for comments from several participants. Keep in mind XDA rules require respecting other members. That includes the use of profanity and name calling.

Now, I'll clean out the off-topic posts, and maybe even edit some comments. Anymore "mud-slinging" regardless of who throws it, and the thread will get closed.

MD

EDIT: Thread cleaned and edited some comments from some posts.

Folks, if you don't wish to help, then kindly move along to some other thread without posting silly comments.

Also, please be aware of how you post, and that it doesn't come across as whining or complaining. A well thought out precise question will usually result in a precise answer.

And if any member sees a violation of XDA rules, their "ONLY" course of action is to "Report Post". Not add further fuel to the fire, as then it turns into a mess and moderation must come and clean it up. Regardless of what some think, XDA is a development site, Not a social network. Please read the rules.

Thank You and keep it clean.

MD

Last edited:

zagaradrian

Nov 27, 2013
Can you just explain how you managed to get your games to install on the SD then? all i can put on there is music, photos and well..other media... installing games doesn't seem to work...

OK, follow those steps (or the missing ones...)
- root your phone
- install and run SD fix; as result, writing to external SD works like before 4.4
- use some application like FolderMount. You can choose different folders from internal memory and link them to another folder on external card. For example: after installing one game (normal, on internal memory), choose in Foldermount the obb folder (that is where almost every app put big amount of data) and link it to a folder on external SD (as result, foldermount will offer you to move existing data). Set Foldermount to automatically mount it on boot, and voila!

link: at operating system level, that directory seems as on internal memory structure, but in reality it resides on external card.

Last edited:

andymihail

Jul 15, 2010
Bucharest
I'm on Omega Rom 2.0 (KitKat) and after I'm moving and mounting real racing 3 or dead trigger 2, when I try to play the game it downloads the data again from the Internet. I have 64 GB Samsung UHS -1 external Sd card. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The point of it? Storing all your music, videos(series and films) and offline maps on it so you can keep your internal memory as free as possible for apps that haven't been updated to work with KitKat.

Apps can read from the SD without issues. You don't need to write to the SD to play media.

That said, it still installs all my apps onto my SDcard. (Which I don't want it to.)

Apoxx

Dec 18, 2009
Daytona Beach
It's ridiculous how apps utilize the SD cards on a stock S5.

Let's say you install an app that takes up 100mb, and decide to move it to SD with the device manager. It will maybe reduce the on-device size to 90mb and move 50mb to the SD, and suddenly the app takes up a total of 140mb. Just an example, but this seems to be the case for every app.

osvanberg

Jun 2, 2012
It's ridiculous how apps utilize the SD cards on a stock S5.

Let's say you install an app that takes up 100mb, and decide to move it to SD with the device manager. It will maybe reduce the on-device size to 90mb and move 50mb to the SD, and suddenly the app takes up a total of 140mb. Just an example, but this seems to be the case for every app.

Fantastic!! (irony)! That's Samsung allright!

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

The point of it? Storing all your music, videos(series and films) and offline maps on it so you can keep your internal memory as free as possible for apps that haven't been updated to work with KitKat.

Apps can read from the SD without issues. You don't need to write to the SD to play media.

That said, it still installs all my apps onto my SDcard. (Which I don't want it to.)

But alot of people, me included, uses files in a much more interactive way than just "reading" from them. I need apps to be able to modify document, movies, music files etcetera! And for that the apps need WRITE permissions, which now is no longer possible.

This new KK sdcard rules really messes this up.

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

knexkid

May 8, 2014
I like to keep my media collection stored locally since I don't have a large data plan. Expandable storage on devices will NEVER be pointless.

hochui

Apr 23, 2014
Please give up and stop buy 16g phone, so 32g phone will come for every brand . I insist buy s.version to have 32g. I just cannot accept android phone treat customers as a fool.

Sent from my SM-G900S using XDA Free mobile app

C0derbear

Nov 6, 2012
This new KK sdcard rules really messes this up.

App developers just need to update to support /mnt/extSdCard for writeable storage, is that really too much to ask?

This is really akin to the old days when apps on Windows assumed they could write to "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Windows" ... that's just a bad idea, and lazy (the wrong kind of lazy).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "Attention Wal-Mart staff, we need a clean-up in aisle 6!"

Ok members, I see a lot of tempers and un-called for comments from several participants. Keep in mind XDA rules require respecting other members. That includes the use of profanity and name calling.

Now, I'll clean out the off-topic posts, and maybe even edit some comments. Anymore "mud-slinging" regardless of who throws it, and the thread will get closed.

MD

EDIT: Thread cleaned and edited some comments from some posts.

Folks, if you don't wish to help, then kindly move along to some other thread without posting silly comments.

Also, please be aware of how you post, and that it doesn't come across as whining or complaining. A well thought out precise question will usually result in a precise answer.

And if any member sees a violation of XDA rules, their "ONLY" course of action is to "Report Post". Not add further fuel to the fire, as then it turns into a mess and moderation must come and clean it up. Regardless of what some think, XDA is a development site, Not a social network. Please read the rules.

Thank You and keep it clean.

MD
    Can you just explain how you managed to get your games to install on the SD then? all i can put on there is music, photos and well..other media... installing games doesn't seem to work...

OK, follow those steps (or the missing ones...)
    - root your phone
    - install and run SD fix; as result, writing to external SD works like before 4.4
    - use some application like FolderMount. You can choose different folders from internal memory and link them to another folder on external card. For example: after installing one game (normal, on internal memory), choose in Foldermount the obb folder (that is where almost every app put big amount of data) and link it to a folder on external SD (as result, foldermount will offer you to move existing data). Set Foldermount to automatically mount it on boot, and voila!

link: at operating system level, that directory seems as on internal memory structure, but in reality it resides on external card.
    Google are the one's we should be venting our anger at. Samsung do make the devices with more storage so they've covered their backsides on that one, but it's Google that in my opinion have done this deliberately to force us all to use cloud storage. I do however believe that Samsung and other manufacturers should be going back to Google and applying pressure on them to rethink.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    I have many games installed on my memory card?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app
    Install this and you're good to go. Only thing is that you need root for the app to work :)