Samsung spare battery and charger are not Qi compatible?

Search This thread

sanjsrik

Hi all,

I'm posting this in case anyone else purchases this gear and thinks they can use it like the original battery that comes with the Note 3.

There is another post in this forum that talked about a 50% off code until June, so I bought this:

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EB-K800BUWESTA

Even with shipping/tax, it only came out to ~$31. I thought great deal.

It arrived and I noticed that you can't use it like you would the original Note 3 battery where I stuck a Qi-enabled sticker on it and could use it to wirelessly charge my spare battery when the main one runs down, figured I'd just buy another Qi-enabling sticker.

Thing showed up and it's NOT Qi-compatible. Meaning, it has no contacts on it that let me attach a Qi sticker. Not sure if it's by design that way but just thought I'd provide a heads up in case anyone else is looking to buy this.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
Hi all,

I'm posting this in case anyone else purchases this gear and thinks they can use it like the original battery that comes with the Note 3.

There is another post in this forum that talked about a 50% off code until June, so I bought this:

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EB-K800BUWESTA

Even with shipping/tax, it only came out to ~$31. I thought great deal.

It arrived and I noticed that you can't use it like you would the original Note 3 battery where I stuck a Qi-enabled sticker on it and could use it to wirelessly charge my spare battery when the main one runs down, figured I'd just buy another Qi-enabling sticker.

Thing showed up and it's NOT Qi-compatible. Meaning, it has no contacts on it that let me attach a Qi sticker. Not sure if it's by design that way but just thought I'd provide a heads up in case anyone else is looking to buy this.

There is two ways to do this,

1 modify the unit to support qi by adding a receiver inside.

2 use a USB receiver or a USB dongle.

sanjsrik

?

There is two ways to do this,

1 modify the unit to support qi by adding a receiver inside.

2 use a USB receiver or a USB dongle.

1. Are you planning on opening up the battery to do this? Sounds like a lot of work and possibly ruining the battery if you screw it up
2. If you use a USB receiver, aren't you then completely ignoring the point of having wireless charging? I don't think I understand #2 completely.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
1. Are you planning on opening up the battery to do this? Sounds like a lot of work and possibly ruining the battery if you screw it up
2. If you use a USB receiver, aren't you then completely ignoring the point of having wireless charging? I don't think I understand #2 completely.

1 you can open the battery charger that come with the battery and put a qi receiver inside, the battery charger then can be placed on a home transmitter.

2 connect a USB qi receiver through the USB port on the battery charger.

If you actuall want just the battery with qi built in, it's only available for the S3, S4 and note 2, if it's not qi, but supports wireless charging, other batteries are available for older phones models.

Last edited: