[Apps] Recommended Apps for Omate Truesmart / x201

Search This thread

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
So much potential
I've been using the free version and it feels like it belongs on a smartwatch. It may not be a Google Now Launcher pretty but it's quick, fast and clean, easy to read at a glance and formats perfectly on the small display. Sadly, it's $10USD

1-+Homescreen.png
2-+Phone.png
7-+SMS+messages.png
8-+Apps+list.png

Reactions: WakeArray

dragonfly1113

Apr 7, 2009
Hopatcong
Dropbox worked for me when I installed an older version I had saved away in my backups from my phone.
Anyone have the apk for the companion app even though it's not fully working? Really miss text notifications. Using the iconbit callisto 100 running the operative build from the 18th.

sent from my note 3 running beans.

lordscipio

Dec 14, 2010
Dropbox worked for me when I installed an older version I had saved away in my backups from my phone.
Anyone have the apk for the companion app even though it's not fully working? Really miss text notifications. Using the iconbit callisto 100 running the operative build from the 18th.

sent from my note 3 running beans.

just use xposed app settings to change dpi for it or use a free app like
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lv.n3o.lcddensity

changing density to 100 (and selecting "kill" option) allowed me to log in to dropbox. changed it back to stock once done and never had to change density again. Dropbox works fine from there on.

Reactions: steff_1964

ottoen

Jun 8, 2013
I have some recommended apps myself.

The launcher i use is Launcher8.
You can take a look at the screen shots.
It is a nice and clean launcher, you will see that it is easy to read at a glance
and that it is not contaminated by eye candy or other useless stuff like most other android launchers.
The screen shots show how it is possible to change tile sizes.
The app list is to the right and will show by swiping.
There is also some screens to the left for widgets. I will talk more about widgets later.

I have spent the last two years using nokia windows phones, and I have come to love this ui very much.
When I got this watch, the stock launcher got cluttered and rather useless within the first ten minutes.
I then experimented a bit before I found Launcher8, but when this was installed, things came in order.

The widgets shown in the screen shots is auto rotate widget, a must when using youtube.
There is Slider Widget, which lets me control brightness and all audio volumes.
When I press one of the symbols in the widget, a slider appears and lets me adjust volume/brightness.
This is a must, I tell you.

I also have yahoo weather as a widget.

When it comes to keyboard input, I have tried out quite a few.
I come from Norway, and here we have three special characters,
æ, ø and å, which is not supported by the keyboards supplied by Omate.

This is only part of the problem, as the truesmarts small screen is difficult to type on.
Swiftkey has the best keyboard and is best for typing, with the personalized suggestions and everything,
but when you type, you don't see what you are typing or anything else on the screen.
It is also difficult to use the back gesture to remove the keyboard from the screen, as you most of the time would hit a letter.
After screwing around with this problem for a couple of hours, i found a good compromise, namely Touchpal X, which supports voice input,
also in Norwegian. This requires google search, and so on, but it works! Touchpal X has a little taskbar or so at the top of the keyboard, where a
microphone symbol is shown for voice input, and a down arrow is present to remove the keyboard from the screen, as you would do with a
back button on a normal phone. The keyboard itself has small keys, and is not the best for typing, but with the easy access to voice and
the down button, it is far the best compromise yet.

As you may see from one of the screen shots, I use Adaway to kill ads.
This one is a must. Go get this one now!

I also use Airdroid for simple remote control.
It is with this program I have taken the screen shots.

I quickly realized that the built-in web browser needed replacement. I then installed Opera because it uses the whole screen when reading a page. Address bar only appears when scrolling upwards.
Also comes with a nice speed dial where i have pinned the pages i use the most.

Sync.ME goes for syncing contacts with facebook.
Supports caller pictures, amongst other things. Works like it says it should.

Spotify streams music as it would on any android phone.

Tinder works like it should.

Wifi key recovery is a nice piece of software to have.

Play music from google is a must.
Especially since the built-in player crashes even before music is being played.

Handcent sms for messaging.
Mostly an old habit, as I have been using this for many, many years. :)
Pop ups for sms.

And of course i use swipestatusbar and various other apps i have read about earlier in this thread.

A must for anyone is to install play store!
You also need to get root access!

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:

cosurgi

Apr 27, 2014
How can I install touchpal X keyboard? I don't see it in OStore. I found a post about installing google play store, but when I click that link to http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...-play-store-activity-iap-indicators-and-more/ I don't know what to do with these apk files. Should I browse there on omate in omate's default browser and it will get installed?

I have omate 8GB/1GB in Europe 2100. I have just flashed it with firmware TEST_RELEASE_Omate_2100_TrueSmart_20140314.zip

ottoen

Jun 8, 2013
How can I install touchpal X keyboard? I don't see it in OStore. I found a post about installing google play store, but when I click that link to http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...-play-store-activity-iap-indicators-and-more/ I don't know what to do with these apk files. Should I browse there on omate in omate's default browser and it will get installed?

I have omate 8GB/1GB in Europe 2100. I have just flashed it with firmware TEST_RELEASE_Omate_2100_TrueSmart_20140314.zip

My watch is rooted. I do not know if this have anything to do With it, i got superuser installed and then went on to installing apks.
Obviously, Your watch is also rooted, so there should be no problem to download an apk With the preinstalled web browser and then install it.
You will find the downloaded apks in "download" in the watchs menu.
I found a working Version of play store at apkgalaxy. I downloaded this onto my watch and then installed it.

rdefranx

Apr 12, 2008
Bronx
I use ES Explorer for dropbox, it lets me copy file easy from dropbox to my watch and the other way around. and I don't need other app for that. I have magicjack to make calls using wifi, I tested it and it works fine. Also I am using Flit keyboard, I type a little slow with this one but I have more control of each stroke. I think I will keep it since I am getting used to it and typing faster.

dragonfly1113

Apr 7, 2009
Hopatcong
photo editing app?

are there any good photo editing apps out there that people have used on the watch? i find myself taking picturse which auto upload to dropbox and than i take the photo from dropbox on my phone and open it in an editing program to brighten the photo (esp for night photos since theres no flash) curious if anyones used an app on the watch itself? on the phone i use snapseed might just side load it onto the watch.

death_entry

Nov 23, 2006
London
are there any good photo editing apps out there that people have used on the watch? i find myself taking picturse which auto upload to dropbox and than i take the photo from dropbox on my phone and open it in an editing program to brighten the photo (esp for night photos since theres no flash) curious if anyones used an app on the watch itself? on the phone i use snapseed might just side load it onto the watch.

Maybe try Camera Awesome... it has quite a few editing features

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smugmug.android.cameraawesome

rdefranx

Apr 12, 2008
Bronx
I used a drill with a small bit on mine. Highly recommended !

etu7u6u4.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thank you, it makes me to do it too. I looked around and I find a little pin from a old wrist watchthat I used to adapt to the hole and I don't neet to use the toothpick. I will try to upload pictures. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20140507_222011.jpg
    20140507_222011.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 403
  • 20140507_225101.jpg
    20140507_225101.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 438
  • 20140507_232557.jpg
    20140507_232557.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 404

steff_1964

Dec 27, 2005
www.classic-flights.de.vu
Dropbox - old version

Even with font set to small, the Dropbox screen offers no way to log in or use app.

I'm still pretty new to the Omate issues since I received my EU 1/8 2100 version today. But I loaded an old dropbox apk (1.0.3.2) which works.

(Right now I'm downloading Lokifish Marz security patch. Can anybody confirm that I can use it on the 1(8 2100 version? Will I need to flash 20140120 working sensors firmware? I found so far nothing accurate.... but I'm just starting to deal with my Omate TS)

jdommer

Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
I'm still pretty new to the Omate issues since I received my EU 1/8 2100 version today. But I loaded an old dropbox apk (1.0.3.2) which works.

(Right now I'm downloading Lokifish Marz security patch. Can anybody confirm that I can use it on the 1(8 2100 version? Will I need to flash 20140120 working sensors firmware? I found so far nothing accurate.... but I'm just starting to deal with my Omate TS)

I'm pretty sure the working sensors firmware is only for the 512/4 2100 TS and should not be flashed on anything else. But the security patch should be ok on any.

jd

dj898

Jun 30, 2011
on my 1/8 2100 Dev the sensor seems to be working.
After installing TWRP then I applied the Unified 1/8 1900/2100 ROM before rooting it.

Reactions: steff_1964

LeighR

Aug 17, 2012
Once rooted, GMD Hide Soft Keys makes life much easier as it gives you soft keys to use

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: fg

fg

Aug 3, 2006
Once rooted, GMD Hide Soft Keys makes life much easier as it gives you soft keys to use

oooh! I've been using gravity box for this, but it only works on the stock rom. this opens up the possibilities of using it with the bt tether rom. Setting to download now

LeighR

Aug 17, 2012
Coupled with swipe status bar (recommended by OP), it really reduces button use. If I could find a tap-to-wake app, I'd be sorted. Think it needs a kernel tweak though

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a quick thread to track some of the apps I've tried out and have kept or haven't gotten to work. Most of these where downloaded from the Play Store using the APK and method described by Lokifish's Info thread.

Post your favorite apps and ideas

Best Hardware Mod Ever:
    - Drill holes to access power and home in the dock

- highly recommended general apps
    -- chrome - browser works well
    -- gmd gesture control - create custom gesture controls available in all apps. needs lokifish security patch to request superuser access. I've disabled all the default gestures and made some user gestures for home, volume control, change input method, and search buttons (diagonal swipes from each corner)
    -- lux - lower the brightness to level below 0% for better low-light visibility and some battery savings. Has options to use the camera for automatic brightness settings, but I have the manual bar in my notification tray
    -- mx player - video player with gesture controls
    -- no lock - disables touch screen events, can be triggered via the hardware camera key (remapped thanks to xposed additions) to minimize accidental actions and unintended battery drain
    -- sambadroid - fileserver on your wrist, great way to move files around on your wrist
    -- sharekm - use your computer keyboard and mouse to control the screen over wifi and bluetooth
    -- swipe statusbar - temporarily show the statusbar in other apps
    -- watchfaces - the version on play seems to work better for me

- recommended xposed modules
    -- ultimate dynamic nav bar - AMAZING bottom on-screen navigation bar module for xposed framework. I have it setup with back, home, menu, recent apps, vol+, vol-, and hide navbar on screen. There's a light version on the play store, but the author has the full version in his thread above. worth the cost to support the dev!
    -- app settings - set per application dpi, density, and rotation overrides.... without rebooting!
    -- gravitybox - general tweaks and setting for mtk based devices
    -- xposed additions - allows you to reassign the functions of the 2 physical buttons for better customisation. supports single press, multiple presses, long presses. I have the home button long press mapped to the android camera action to trigger "no touch" screen locking

- working companion app options (none are perfect. none can easily turn on the screen and display the alert when locked. however everyone has their own needs for companion applications. )
    -- m2d my second device - recieve alerts and control media players over bluetooth. a bit complicated to configure and still in early development, but functional. Author is active on XDA and has been working with smartwatches forever.
    -- omate companion app from ostore + truesmart master app from play - limited functionality at the moment, passes notifications as recieved on the phone which means often you'll get an alert that there are "3 new messages", no way to respond
    -- swapp link - recieve and reply to sms, answer and make calls, recieve alerts, control media players. easier to configure than m2d
    -- tablet talk - answer calls, receive and reply to sms (messenger app only) to your phone from the omate over bluetooth (flakey) or wifi (power hungry). requires adjustment of dpi for use

- untested companion app options
    -- notisync - listed as working on galaxy gear forums and has a good truesmart review on play. potential battery hog
    -- pushbullet -
    -- tablet notifier - listed on galaxy gear forums, reviews indicate connectivity problems

- working
    -- big launcher - home launcher replacement designed with big ui elements
    -- dropbox - requires dpi modification (use app settings xposed module) to access all the ui
    -- easytether pro - tether your phone's connectivity to your watch
    -- es explorer - popular file manager, I mainly use it for easy smb share browsing / streaming
    -- Firefox - browser works well too although a bit slow.
    -- flit keyboard - great small form factor keyboard
    -- foldersync - sync folders to cloud systems
    -- foscam viewer - ip cam viewer, ui elements are a bit large but otherwise working
    -- gmd hide soft keys - "once rooted ... makes life much easier as it gives you soft keys to use"
    -- pocket - offline web page viewing
    -- nova launcher - works well
    -- swype keyboard - i like it better than fleksy
    -- titanium backup - scheduled backups
    -- total commander - classic file manager with networking plug-ins for everyday use
    -- Twitter - works well ... you can tap on a tweet to automatically zooms up a more readable size.
    -- Yahoo weather - works great

- non-working
    -- blueputdroid - use your watch as a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. incompatible bluetooth stack
    -- Tweetcaster - doesn't refresh and gets stuck on an old date

- testing
    -- datasync+ - paid version supports sync of app and data files over bluetooth. still haven't finished testing!
    While waiting for a better method, I took my dremel with its thinnest drill bit and carefully drilled two holes in the cradle/doc. This, with a toothpick, lets me access the buttons while it is in the doc.

I used a drill with a small bit on mine. Highly recommended !

etu7u6u4.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Is that xposed module already on my device from the ROM and the Loki patch? Or if not where do I obtain it?

The new patch (coming out today) adds the build.prop edits back which fixes the size issue for almost every app.
    For anyone wanting a different keyboard with more screen space, try Flit Keyboard it's free... set the 1st keyboard to be alpha reduced and the 2nd to be numeric... :)
    A dremel 'hack' to access buttons while in cradle/dock

Not an App, but I wasn't sure where best to post this.

While waiting for a better method, I took my dremel with its thinnest drill bit and carefully drilled two holes in the cradle/doc. This, with a toothpick, lets me access the buttons while it is in the doc.