[Q] rooting help

Search This thread

avivzamir

Nov 5, 2010
hi i need some help
(the last htc i had rooted was the desire and since then i only had samsung which is quite easy to root with the odin.)
i have the verizon M8 and since i dont live in the us i don't have any need for all the bloatware that comes with the phone.
id like to root it but i have some questions before
1. first of all can anyone please send me a link to a guide (preferably with pictures ) for rooting?
2. do i need to do an S-off before rooting or is it part of the process?
3. where can i find stock HTC M8 firmware to instal instead of the verizon one?
4. is there a specific version of firmware u recommend ? (i want stock HTC only)
5. if i install stock HTC firmware i should get OTA updates once i install it right?

thnx ;)

Jonnibravo

Aug 9, 2009
Bradford
Try this link
http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/

Try the temp root first top obtain root. If you can't root using this method you will need to root using htcdev come back when you have root or of you need help with htcdev

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Make sure you try the weak sauce method first it's supposed to work on Verizon handsets

avivzamir

Nov 5, 2010
Try this link
http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/

Try the temp root first top obtain root. If you can't root using this method you will need to root using htcdev come back when you have root or of you need help with htcdev

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Make sure you try the weak sauce method first it's supposed to work on Verizon handsets

what about the other things i asked?

and anoter qusiton, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2694925 is this ( HTC One Toolkit ) an odin like software that can atomize the rooting process?

My Beer Belly

May 3, 2014
hi i need some help
(the last htc i had rooted was the desire and since then i only had samsung which is quite easy to root with the odin.)
i have the verizon M8 and since i dont live in the us i don't have any need for all the bloatware that comes with the phone.
1. first of all can anyone please send me a link to a guide (preferably with pictures ) for rooting?
4. is there a specific version of firmware u recommend ? (i want stock HTC only)
5. if i install stock HTC firmware i should get OTA updates once i install it right?

thnx ;)

To obtain root access you will first need to unlock the bootloader. Fortunately, HTC has made this a relatively simple process. Use this tool and follow it's instructions: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2699065. After unlocking, you can follow it's instruction to obtain root or simply install a ROM from this forum... most all of them come preloaded with root access.

Regarding S-off, you do not need it to unlock/root/install ROMS. There are a few mods that require S-off but they aren't necessary.

When you say stock firmware, do you mean AOSP (aka clean Android)? If so then there are lots of guides to install the Google Play Edition firmware or you can go with an AOSP based rom. I personally prefer Android Revolution (ARHD) which recently updated to include support for Verizon. It is Sense based, but I came from a Nexus device and have come to really enjoy the HTC Sense software.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get OTA updates after installing a rom without some manual intervening. However, most rom developers are quick when a major release comes out to include it in their software so you are likely to only wait a few days extra.

Jonnibravo

Aug 9, 2009
Bradford
You really should check out the link you have a Verizon device which can achieve root without htcdev unlock try that first.

Jared_coop

May 13, 2014
I am also trying to root my Verizon m8 and I want to flash a ROM.I have with a previous HTC phone (Verizon Incredible 2) and Verizon s4. The all in one tool doesn't work for the Verizon variant and I have no idea how to follow the firewater instructions. Please help! Pictures would be helpful once it gets to the part were you must use command prompts.

Also I am confused on what you need to flash a ROM. I know you need an unlocked bootloader and root, anything else? And will the firewater method give me
an unlocked boot loader?

Last edited:

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
My sincere advice for you is to remain stock.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

dressanderc

Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN
hi i need some help

thnx ;)

1. http://blog.laptopmag.com/root-htc-one-m8
2. No
3/4. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2694917
5. Negative. You'll have to watch the forum and flash the new ROMs as the dev puts them out.