[APP][4.1+] Knockr - Lockscreen

Search This thread

nonoperez

Nov 22, 2012
Can someone elaborate on the "keep screen off" option?

I'm dumb. I read it ten times, and do not have a clue.

4udeqa6e.jpg

You are not alone man, I'm lost too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app

TheGvster

May 9, 2014
wut

You said that this is for screens with OLED yet someone commented checking whether it would work with their S4 Mini. Now I thought that S4's had AMOLED which was different, if I'm mistaken, does this mean that it will work on my S4-19505?
Thanks, it looks brill by the way.
Nandish-

seriously are u ****ing stupid , didnt you know that S4 (GT-i9505) has an OLED display how else would it be able to make use of the smart covers that Samsung provides separately

Benny Bosser

Nov 11, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Z Phone 4
You are not alone man, I'm lost too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app

Knockr keeps your screen on, it turns out fully black so you don't notice it, but it's always turned on so that Knockr can always work.
This feature prevents that from happening, so your screen is turned off and this means you have to manually turn on your screen in order for Knockr to work ;)

Reactions: nonoperez

rosco77

Dec 2, 2010
seriously are u ****ing stupid , didnt you know that S4 (GT-i9505) has an OLED display how else would it be able to make use of the smart covers that Samsung provides separately

No need to be verbally abusive. He was asking a question because he didn't know the answer. That's the reason most people come here, to learn and understand more. This type of communication is not welcome here and will be reported if it continues.

Reactions: fiedler12345

chachoi

Dec 6, 2011
Antipolo City
:good:

No need to be verbally abusive. He was asking a question because he didn't know the answer. That's the reason most people come here, to learn and understand more. This type of communication is not welcome here and will be reported if it continues.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

I can attest to the fact that knockr does not drain the battery. Charged my device 100 percent, turned wifi off and slept at around 12am. I woke up by 7am and I still have 96% left. The key here is make sure to cover the proximity sensor to keep Knockr from constantly running and slightly lighting up the screen. I have a leather pouch case that does it well so for those that don't have it, make sure it's face down when not in use. If you ask me it kinda works like other proximity sensor based app so I'm contemplating which one to use. :confused:

Samsung Galaxy S series and Note series users, does your display still slightly lit up when in a totally dark room with knockr running and proximity sensor is not covered?

Reactions: rvignacio

rvignacio

Dec 23, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S series and Note series users, does your display still slightly lit up when in a totally dark room with knockr running and proximity sensor is not covered?

Yes, I can confirm that on S4 mini. And since last update the hardware buttons LEDs are always on too. Before they lighted up for a few seconds, but now they're always on.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

chachoi

Dec 6, 2011
Antipolo City
Thanks for the reply, my buttons don't light up all the time, around 1 second, but maybe because I'm running on a MIUI Rom.

Yes, I can confirm that on S4 mini. And since last update the hardware buttons LEDs are always on too. Before they lighted up for a few seconds, but now they're always on.

ljjehl

Apr 6, 2008
SA,TX
Android Wear
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Knockr keeps your screen on, it turns out fully black so you don't notice it, but it's always turned on so that Knockr can always work.
This feature prevents that from happening, so your screen is turned off and this means you have to manually turn on your screen in order for Knockr to work ;)

In devices like the M7, you can have a kernel that uses S2W or DT2W, that can be used to turn the screen on as opposed to using a Power button. I have "Keep screen off" checked, so that allows me to use my kernel's DT2W feature, then I swipe the direction I want to get the final output. At this point, this app rocks! :good::good:

Acela1230

Apr 10, 2013
Long Island
sites.google.com

I thought I had gotten complaints about the capactive buttons staying on so I tried to fix it but it seems it was the on screen navigation buttons that people were complaining about and I'll take that fix/mess up out in the next update. It should be out sometime this weekend.

With that fix on my S5 it had no effect though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: rvignacio

Acela1230

Apr 10, 2013
Long Island
sites.google.com
I thought I had gotten complaints about the capactive buttons staying on so I tried to fix it but it seems it was the on screen navigation buttons that people were complaining about and I'll take that fix/mess up out in the next update. It should be out sometime this weekend.

With that fix on my S5 it had no effect though.

I know I said the next update would be up this weekend. I'm sorry but I ended up falling asleep in the afternoon both days and just ran out of time. I have added a lot of new things in this update as well. I'm going to try and upload tomorrow night when I get home from work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium HD app

dedichthui

Oct 31, 2010
Battery consumption for this application is not significant. The sensors will temporarily shut down for more than 10 seconds and back normally works (air-wakeup. ...) In addition to the errors mentioned above, I think the app works well on screen or supper Amoled . ( tested on S4 and Note3 and works fine ) thank you.

skivnit

May 21, 2012
Battery consumption for this application is not significant. The sensors will temporarily shut down for more than 10 seconds and back normally works (air-wakeup. ...) In addition to the errors mentioned above, I think the app works well on screen or supper Amoled . ( tested on S4 and Note3 and works fine ) thank you.

On my s5 the phone was awake the whole time since disabling it, it came back to normal

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

cableghost

Dec 22, 2010
I notice at night, Knockr will slightly illuminate, turning on the Nav bar continuously and even waking the display to the homescreen. Something I noticed is that my proximity sensor must really be sensitive and is causing these effects. I realize the light sensor would be more valid for the effects, but this occurs with the phone on a table/couch, and only at night.

Maybe you could add 'Orientation' as an alternative to the proximity sensor. This could... a) allow Knockr to be off when phone is upside down, etc., and b) no need to have the proximity sensor running.

Another good option is to make a Tasker plugin for Knockr that would allow customizing Knockr on/off, based upon conditions.

BTW, this is great work for a guy who doesn't even have a rooted device!

Last edited:

Acela1230

Apr 10, 2013
Long Island
sites.google.com
Ok just uploaded the new update. Should be available in the morning (EST).

Some of the highlights being 10 new gestures and I changed the 'keep screen off' option to 'lockscreen only' and created a sorta lockscreen out of it (if this part becomes popular I will try and add the ability to have widgets). The lockscreen option makes Knockr a much better app in my opinion and opens it up to other devices outside of OLED ones.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After seeing a lot of comparison videos of the HTC One m8 and the Galaxy S5 I realized one of the big things HTC has is their motion launch gestures. Unfortunately for HTC it is limited to doing just a few things. So since the Galaxy S5 has an OLED screen which is turned "off" when displaying black pixels, I figured I could create something like the motion launch gestures that uses minimal battery.

So I created Knockr an app that allows users with OLED Screen devices, like the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Moto X, to quickly enter an app with gestures without having to turn the screen on.

Gestures include:
    Double Tap: Double tap the screen to open any app you choose or unlock the screen

Swipe Up, Down, Left, Right: Users can set each Swipe to open a separate app or unlock the screen

Long Press: Long press the screen to open any app you choose or unlock the screen

Volume Up when in Landscape: Pressing the volume up button when the device is in Landscape will automatically open the camera

I am still working on improving some of the things in Knockr, but wanted to post it on here to get some feedback and suggestions to make it better.

**EDIT**
    The newest update 2.1 now includes Knocks. Knocks is like LG's Knock Code. You can create multiple Knocks to unlock or open apps.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Knockr, App for the Android General

Contributors
    Acela1230

Version Information

Created 2014-05-04
    Last Updated 2014-12-01
    Hey everyone this app is still under development. I have been really busy and under the weather for the last month. I just got back to finishing some of the updates to the app and just testing them before I release the update.

Going to give it a try with my Galaxy S4 Mini, I hope it's not too harsh on the battery. Nevertheless this application seems like a great idea, Thank you.

EDIT: Seems to work very well. Just a few things I noticed.
    -The screen can turn on by a single touch to the screen (it will then display lockscreen)
    -The backlight keys turn on after the app is activated once the screen is locked (the keys are only on for a few seconds on my phone anyway, no big deal)
    -Is it possible to decrease the delay between when the phone is locked and when the Knockr app is loaded/active?

Thanks for the feedback. It shouldn't use much battery especially if you use the power management since you probably wont have your phone turned off to often outside of your pocket during the day and if you do you can just turn it over and still get the same benefit.

I have already uploaded a new version that has removed the single tap action so there aren't any false touches registered. It also made the screen on an option to choose for any of the gestures. It also fixes a bug that cause Knockr to close when the orientation was changed after being pocketed.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to load Knockr any faster since I already have it setup to load as fast as possible. The problem is that I have to use a broadcast receiver to receive the screen off and the broadcast takes a little bit of time to be sent out (I'll keep looking for ways to make it faster though).
    Looks like another abandoned thread by developer. :( Wonderful app though

Not abandoned. I just have no new information to give. I am trying to update knockr with some more features but ever since android l preview came out eclipse has been working correctly. Sometimes it works and other times it tells me that all my projects have errors. Just have to be patient.

Ok just uploaded the new update. Should be available in the morning (EST).

Some of the highlights being 10 new gestures and I changed the 'keep screen off' option to 'lockscreen only' and created a sorta lockscreen out of it (if this part becomes popular I will try and add the ability to have widgets). The lockscreen option makes Knockr a much better app in my opinion and opens it up to other devices outside of OLED ones.