Nephilim's Custom Kernel Settings

Which Kernel Out Of The 5 In The OP Do You Prefer Most?

• AK

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • A.S.K.P

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • Golden

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Mpokang

Votes: 117 61.6%
  • Tiny

Votes: 21 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

NeverSeparate

Jan 22, 2012
I've seen people say having a high RAB can cause that. Might also try adjusting that to 512 or lower and see. Might not help but wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: krneki10

AuroEdge

Dec 17, 2010
I've seen people say having a high RAB can cause that. Might also try adjusting that to 512 or lower and see. Might not help but wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
On TinyKernel high RAB causes slowdown. I've reverted to default settings for that kernel:

-Read ahead buffer size: 256
-Scheduler: cfq

kaotikking

Apr 9, 2009
Bronx, NY
I myself have issues the moment I use a higher RAB. Call it placebo but as long as I have it at 512 or lower I don't get SOD or lag when trying to unlock the screen. I'm not into heavy customization when it comes to undervolting, as old as this phone is battery life is the least of my worries. Screen burn in is the worst on this device lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app

BestBrd

Nov 8, 2013
Sorry,i don't want to be killed but,i'm on maguro and my cm11 has lots of problems(hot reboots,glitches...) so what ROM would you recommend? @Nephilim

BestBrd

Nov 8, 2013
What are the main differences between liquidsmooth and vanir?

Nephilim

Aug 16, 2010
Milwaukee
Alright guys, if you are using Metalspring's SmittyV v2 kernel here are the PegasusQ governor control tunables I've created:

cpu_down_rate: 15

cpu_up_rate: 10

down_differential: 8

dvfs_debug: 0

freq_for_responsiveness: 350000

freq_step: 45

hotplug_freq_1_1: 450000

hotplug_freq_2_0: 300000

hotplug_freq_2_1:450000

hotplug_lock: 0

hotplug_rq_1_1: 275

hotplug_rq_2_0: 275

hotplug_rq_2_1: 200

ignore_nice_load: 0

io_is_busy: 1

max_cpu_lock: 0

sampling_down_factor: 2

sampling_rate: 50000

sampling_rate_min: 10000

up_threshold: 80

up_threshold_at_min_freq: 190000

This kernel absolutely flies, this is the fastest and smoothest my device has been in a long time, battery so far is great as well! All other settings are the usual SmittyV/DirtyV settings I have posted in the OP. Enjoy

P.S. These settings are just numbers picked at random as usual. :p

pvkiniyan95

Jun 21, 2012
Chennai
LG V30
OPPO Find X2
Alright guys, if you are using Metalspring's SmittyV v2 kernel here are the PegasusQ governor control tunables I've created:

This kernel absolutely flies, this is the fastest and smoothest my device has been in a long time, battery so far is great as well! All other settings are the usual SmittyV/DirtyV settings I have posted in the OP. Enjoy

up_threshold_at_min_freq??? is that a typo? coz tock value is just 85

btw the problem i mentioned with pegasusq for me is gone after applying these settings

Last edited:

pvkiniyan95

Jun 21, 2012
Chennai
LG V30
OPPO Find X2
I'm assuming you were researching old threads about PegasusQ. 190000 is the lowest value that can be set as of this version.

Sent from my Android 4.4.2 Galaxy Nexus

up threshold is set to 80

afaik up threshold at min freq should also be a value and not freq, also i cannot enter 190000 there in synapse as soon as i press done the value reverts to 85

what i think is min freq at up threshold may be 190000 but its not here

Last edited:
Reactions: michierusama

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    w7db0h.jpg

**These settings are meant for 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.3 and 4.4 kernels that I specify, the tweaks to certain areas however should work on more than just the kernels I include in this thread.**

Hey guys, as most of you from the AK Kernel thread may know (or now the DirtyV Kernel thread) and a few others that checked my signature links, I take great pride in customizing the best possible kernel settings for excellent performance and great battery, Since we've moved on from Android 4.2.x based roms and Stefano (AK) has since moved to the Nexus 4 I have been trying out other kernels, this means new settings to tweak and improve.

This Thread is dedicated to the custom kernel settings I use with some of my favorite kernels, I will still include my AK Kernel 4.2.1/4.2.2 settings but in addition I will be adding some new settings for a few kernels I think are quite impressive. Feel free to ask any questions you like, take from my settings what you like and answer anyone elses questions that you may know the answer to. I want this thread to be a community of help and not just from me. I do not expect you all to use my custom settings exactly, if you want to experiment feel free to, these are just a base to start with if you are not familiar with tweaking kernels and for those that are and enjoy my settings/colors, feel free to use them as they are.

The 4.4.x kernel settings will be occasionally updated if and when I feel there are improvements worthy of making so keep an eye on the thread for information on changes that may have been made to the OP.​

Section 1.
    4.2.1/4.2.2 Based AK Kernel Settings:

Cubic
    FIOPS
    Read Ahead Buffer: 896 (The results for RAB will vary so experiment and find one that works best for you if mine do not yield preferred results.)
    Interactive (hispeed_freq - 810000 in "Governor Control")
    Min: 180mhz
    Max: 1060mhz (1350mhz if you want a little more power at minimal sacrifice to battery)
    Max Screen Off: 350mhz (this is to avoid lagging/stuttering of music playback when screen is not on)
    Min Screen On: 180mhz
    WiFi High Performance: Off
    Force Fast Charge: Off
    Multicore Power Savings: 2
    High Performance Sound: Off
    Headphone Volume Boost: 1
    Dynamic FSYNC: On
    Tempature Limit: 80
    GPU (If Available): 384mhz
    GPU Governor (If Available): OnDemand
    ZRAM: Off
    Smartreflex: All On (MPU undervolted by 25 across the board)
    [with any undervolting there is a risk of freezing and/or SOD's, not all devices play nice with lower voltages so if you find that you are encountering issues just return to stock]
    Core Min Calibrated Voltage: 800
    IVA Min Calibrated Voltage: 800
    MPU Min Calibrated Voltage: 800

Section 2.
    4.3 Based Kernel Settings (Should work on 4.4 roms as well or have a 4.4 variant):

A.S.K.P. Kernel:

Cubic
    Deadline
    Read Ahead Buffer: 1024 (The results for RAB will vary so experiment and find one that works best for you if mine do not yield preferred results.)
    InteractiveX (hispeed_freq - 729600 in "Governor Control")
    Min: 192mhz (350mhz if on 4.4 "Grande" version)
    Max: 1036mhz
    Max Screen Off: 384mhz (this is to avoid lagging/stuttering of music playback when screen is not on)
    Min Screen On: 192mhz
    High Performance Sound: On
    Temperature Limit: 80
    GPU: 384mhz
    Smartreflex: All On (MPU undervolted by 50 across the board)
    [with any undervolting there is a risk of freezing and/or SOD's, not all devices play nice with lower voltages so if you find that you are encountering issues just return to stock]

Golden Kernel:

Golden
    Golden
    Read Ahead Buffer: 1024 (The results for RAB will vary so experiment and find one that works best for you if mine do not yield preferred results.)
    InteractiveX (hispeed_freq - 729600)
    Min: 192mhz
    Max: 1344mhz (feel free to use 729.6mhz if you like, I personally noticed there is not really much noticable battery loss difference between 1344mhz and 729.6mhz though.)
    Max Screen Off: 384mhz (this is to avoid lagging/stuttering of music playback when screen is not on)
    Min Screen On: 192mhz
    Temperature Limit: 75
    GPU: 512mhz
    Smartreflex: All On (MPU undervolted by 100 across the board)
    VAUX3_6030: 2500
    VMMC: 1000

Tiny Kernel:

Westwood
    Sio
    Read Ahead Buffer: 1152 (The results for RAB will vary so experiment and find one that works best for you if mine do not yield preferred results.)
    InteractiveX (hispeed_freq - 700000)
    Min: 230mhz
    Max: 1350mhz (feel free to use 920mhz if you like, I personally noticed there is not really much noticable battery loss difference between 1344mhz and 920mhz though.)
    Max Screen Off: 350mhz (this is to avoid lagging/stuttering of music playback when screen is not on)
    Temperature Limit: 75
    Smartreflex: All On (MPU undervolted by 100 across the board)

DirtyV/SmittyV Kernel:

Illinois
    Zen
    Zen Control Settings
    General I/0 Tunables
    add_random: 0
    iostats: 0
    nomerges: 0
    rotational: 0
    rq_affinity: 2
    I/O Scheduler Tunables
    async_expire: 2500
    fifo_batch: 0
    sync_expire: 304 (won't allow me to set 300, which was my original choice, really don't think there is a difference though lol)

Read Ahead Buffer: 2048 (The results for RAB will vary so experiment and find one that works best for you if mine do not yield preferred results.)
    Interactive
    Governor Control Settings
    above_hispeed_delay: 40000
    boostpulse_duration: 750000
    go_hispeed_load: 86
    hispeed_freq: 920000
    input_boost_freq: 700000
    io_is_busy: 0
    min_sample_time: 75000
    sampling_down_factor: 1
    target_loads: 78
    timer_rate: 16000

timer_slack: 58000

Min: 190mhz (older DirtyV/SmittyV versions will use 180mhz)
    Max: 1500mhz (I have found minimal battery loss upping this to 1500mhz, if you prefer to stay on 1400mhz feel free too)
    Max Screen Off: 525mhz (this is to avoid lagging/stuttering of music playback when screen is not on and possible screen wake delay)
    Min Screen On: 230mhz
    Force Fast Charge: On (DirtyV kernel as well as a few others now have the ability to still transfer data via USB while using Force Fast Charge.)
    Headphone Boost: 1
    Touch Wake: Off
    Vibrator Strength: 90
    Battery Life Extender: 98 (setting removed on all current DirtyV/SmittyV versions, only viable if using old editions of the kernels)
    Tempature Limit: 75
    Smartreflex: All On (MPU undervolted by 50 across the board, IVA and Core leave at default)
    Core Min Calibrated Voltage: 800
    IVA Min Calibrated Voltage: 800
    MPU Min Calibrated Voltage: 800
    (Min Calibrated Voltages will be turned off by default on all SmittyV versions due to SmittyV Kernel using Smartreflex 3.0, the above voltage settings are only viable when using DirtyV Kernels)
    VANA: 1500
    V2V1: 1000
    VAUX3_6030: 2700
    VAUX1_6030: 1100
    VDAC: 1000
    VCXIO: 1500
    VUSIM: 1800
    VMMC: 1300
    VUSB : 3200

I have no lag, no freezing, good battery life and excellent performance with these settings

Also, my ram sits at between 234mb and 145mb free on AK, ASKP and Golden kernels and between 355mb and 270mb free on Mpokang, DirtyV and Tiny kernels due the BIGMEM on Mpokang and DirtyV and ASRAM on Tiny. I have 128 apps installed.

My battery stats are as so, on low usage I get about 21hrs to 23hrs of standby and 1.5hrs to 2hrs of on-screen time. On normal use I get about 15hrs to 17hrs of standby and about 2hrs to 3hrs of on-screen time. On heavy usage (which is only occasional) I get about 11hrs to 13hrs of standby and about 3hrs to 4hrs of on-screen time. Take into consideration, these battery stats are from a Toro Galaxy Nexus, this means those of you on a Maguro (GSM) model will probably get much better battery life than even this by using my settings.

Section 3.

Jellybean/Kit-Kat Minfree Settings:
    (Be advised, you must have the Donation version of Trickster Mod in order to add minfree settings)

Forground App: 10
    Visible App: 20
    Secondary Server: 100
    Hidden App: 120
    Content Provider: 95
    Empty App: 195

These minfrees have been tested on DirtyV Kernels but should work just as well on all others. I've personally noticed an increase of 500+ points on AnTuTu as well as noticeable improvements on performance in everyday usage of my device.

Section 4.

Lollipop Minfree Settings:
    (Be advised, you must have the Donation version of Trickster Mod in order to add minfree settings)

Forground App: 50
    Visible App: 70
    Secondary Server: 116
    Hidden App: 130
    Content Provider: 165
    Empty App: 370

These minfrees have been tested on the latest SmittyL Lollipop Beta kernels but should work just as well on all other lollipop.

Color Settings:

Content Adaptive Brightness: On
    Contrast: -5
    Gamma Adjustment: 5
    Gamma Offset Red: -5
    Gamma Offset Green: -3
    Gamma Offset Blue: 7
    Color Multiplier Red: 260
    Color Multiplier Green: 276
    Color Multiplier Blue: 340
    Regular Brightness Settings: Autobrightness is off and I have it manually set to 50%

If anyone has issues when the Green Gamma Offset is a negative number boost all Gamma Offset Colors up by 3 to make Red -2, Green 0 and Blue 10, then drop Contrast down to -8 rather than -5, this should give you almost the same result.

My color settings work with any custom kernel, I feel that they have a remarkably crisp and vibrant tone to them, feel free to use them and tweak them as you see fit. :)

As always, if you have found this thread helpful please tap the "THANKS" button.

Links to the kernels I specify can be found below:

AK Kernel (4.1.x/4.2.x based kernels): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1883298

A.S.K.P Kernel (4.2.x, 4.3 and 4.4.x kernels): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2342312

Golden Kernel (4.2.x, 4.3 and 4.4.x kernels): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2394905

Tiny Kernel (4.2.x, 4.3 and 4.4.x kernels): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1994248

DirtyV Kernel (4.4.x kernels): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2613655

Credit to Stefano (AK Kernel), Amperific (A.S.K.P Kernel), Jeeko (Golden Kernel),
    tiny4579 (Tiny Kernel) and bsmitty83 (DirtyV Kernel) for all the great work!!!!! :good:

Special Thanks to wavedashdoc for providing the excellent minfree settings!

Link to my Official Google+ Community: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107105281984046422598

Ok...well which one of those three do you think is faster? Also, I keep hearing about f2fs and ART, and I have no idea what that is..lol! Again I'm totally brand new to this. I could google the terms but you really seem to know what you're talking about and I thought I would get your explanation of them.

Thanks again! I really appreciate all of your help!!
    basically the 3 are the same , the biggest differences are the amount of ram available to the system . the nexus allocates ram for the camera to use , but it was discovered we can change the amount without affecting camera functionality . smittyV is the kernel that I personally use . it's normal ram , dirtyV is the main kernel , it has more CPU governors than my version , and the dirtyV-SR version has the most available ram but breaks 1080 recording and video playback . so its up to you which to use .
    ART is a replacement for the dalvik just in time compiler , its a bit smoother , apps open faster , and it will be the default run-time in the next android version . you can find the two under settings/developer options .

f2fs is a filesystem , like ext4 , NTFS , etc . it is supposed to be made specifically for solid-state drives and flash memory . currently for the gnex its new and not as polished as ext4 , but it does make a bit of difference combating lag during play store installs and other things. be warned , to use f2fs you must format your phones storage , so you will lose everything if you don't back the data up on your computer or somewhere else . I'd say hold off on f2fs until your a little more "seasoned" at the phone customization .

hope this helps a little , and welcome to the fun stuff [emoji3]

Hack the Tuna
    **DIRTYV UPDATE**

*Changed I/O Scheduler from Noop to Zen, I/O Tunable Settings Are As Followed:

add_random: 0
    iostats: 0
    nomerges: 0
    rotational: 0
    rq_affinity: 2

async_expire: 2500
    fifo_batch: 0
    sync_expire: 304
    (won't allow me to set 300, which was my original choice, really don't think there is a difference though lol)

Thanks,
    Neph
    Thread Cleaned and addressed. Thank you....