First of all, I'm not claiming the properties of all the software present in this guide, all rights comes to the Developpers (proper credits are at the end of this post).
Secondly, I know there is a lot of guide on How to S-Off the M7 but since I've spent 2 days on it because of the hboot and the firmware I have, I would like to share my knowledges with other people if some others persons have this issue as well.
Forgive my faults, French is my native langage !
Here are the prerequisites that must be met
- Make sure you have Htc drivers properly installed. For that, I will not give you some packages found in the depths of the web, but I will redirect you to Htc Sync Manager. As soon as you will plug your M7, this soft will install automatically all the wanted drivers
- Make sure you have ADB and fastboot installed. You can get it here
- Make sure you are on hboot 1.55. For catch this info, you can go into the bootloader by Power off your device and reboot it by pressing the Power button and Volume down button together OR in adb with
adb reboot bootloader
I've written this guide because when I bought my M7, my OS was 184.108.40.206 (you can find this info in the bootloader too). I've done no update before putting several ROM custom on my phone (MIUI, and now Insertcoin) and I've read in several forum that this OS version cause some issue with the S-Off process (I don't know if this is true but on MIUI and on Insertcoin, the S-Off process didn't work so I assume this is in some ways true). You can use this guide for S-Off your M7 when you are on hboot 1.55 and every OS version however
Ok now here we go !!!
- You have to be on a ROM as stock as possible, Android Revolution HD 31.6 is the one I've used. May be others work but I can't tell you that it's the case ! There is the download link, take care of the version you download, the 31.6 is the one we need (certainly because of the android version):
- Flash the ROM with the settings you want, but I advise you to let it as light as possible, you'll see why after
- When the ROM has booted, go to Settings>About the phone>Software info>More>And tap 7 times to hav the developper rights. Now go into the developper options and activate "USB Debugging"
- Now open a command prompt (what, you don't know how to do that ? Ok so google it or don't S-Off your device, you have to have some basic knowledges before begin system modifications !!!) and verify that your device is recognized by adb
- Download firewater software and place it on your desktop for example. There is the link:
- Launch the minimal adb and fastboot soft that you've downloaded, move where is firewater and push it to your data partition:
adb push firewater /data/local/tmp
- Launch an adb shell
- Grant SU right (what is SU ? Dooooooh ...)
- Up your rights on firewater file
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
- Exit the adb shell
- Reboot your device
- When your phone is rebooted, re launch an adb shell (or you can tell to adb to launch it automatically when the device is detected with the "wait-for-device" argument. Remember it, it's very usefull !)
adb wait-for-device shell
- Grant SU rights again
- Launch firewater and accept the conditions
Personally, after the seconds "bottle" I had a message who told me that my phone is S-Off. You can verify it by rebooting into the bootloader (Read the instruction in front of this guide for this) and check if the mention "S-Off" is here. If S-On is again here, retry from the adb reboot command
Congrats, your M7 is S-Off !!! Don't do too bad things
Before return to your favorite ROM, keep here, there is some nice things to do with revone tool . When I was on Insertcoin sixth sense ROM, I couldn't use it for S-Off my device or even delete the "Tampered" mention into the bootloader. BUT with ARDH I can .
Here is some nice things to do with it and how to use it (which arguments):
-u - Unlock the device -l - Lock the device (as if it was never unlocked) -r - Relock the device (mark the device as relocked) -t - Reset the device's tamper flag.
For use this tool, download it from here: http://revolutionary.io/revone and do the same steps as for firewater (put in in data/local/tmp, chmod 755 on it, reboot, adb shell, cd into data/local/tmp and do ./revone with the argument you want, according with what you want to do !)
Here is some examples:
./revone -t (remove the tampered mention) ./revone -l (S-On your device after it was S-Off of course) ./revone -r (Relock the device if it was S-Off but with the mention relocked, I don't know why use it but I think it can be useful in some ways !)
So earlier in this guide, I've told to you to install ARDH with the less things possible, there is why. My advise is to keep a Nandroid Backup of this ROM instead of keeping the zip file (or you can do the two thing !). In this case, you'll have the possibility to come back to ARDH quickly without having to re install the whole zip so if you'll want to S-ON your device using revone tool or if you'll want to re S-Off your device because you have done a wrong manipulation, the best thing to do is to restore this backup and done all you want to do. Easy that's true ?
- Firewater team for the awesome they've done for us, a big thanks to you !
- shimp208 for the "Minimal adb and fastboot package", very useful tool for to have adb whithout reinstall the whole SDK !
- ARDH team for there awesome ROM, give it a try !
- revelutionary team for the revone tool, awesome tool too !
So if you want now you can come back to your ROM like before ! I hope you'll enjoy this Guide, don't hesitate to post question if you want