[Q] Fake Wifi connection when on Ethernet

Search This thread

Spelvin

Nov 25, 2009
Howdy folks, I am looking to find out if there is a way to have Wifi show as active and the primary network connection when the FireTV is actually connected via Ethernet. Many apps, specifically streaming apps, require a wifi connection and will not run without it. I prefer to run my FireTV via Ethernet due to the environment mine is in.

This type of hack or workaround would also be useful for the Ouya and any other android device that has an Ethernet port.

To sum up, I am looking for a hack or workaround that will present the Ethernet connection as Wifi to the OS or applications.

I found this document, and page 30 reference what I am looking to do:
http://www.elinux.org/images/9/98/Dive_Into_Android_Networking-_Adding_Ethernet_Connectivity.pdf

Thoughts?
Thanks!

FrostyOrDie

Feb 27, 2012
This would benefit our android phones as many apps won't work over carrier network to avoid data overages. I got unlimited data and get better speeds from Verizon than I do at home. If it was an app, xposed module, or some other mod, I would pay for it.

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

Spelvin

Nov 25, 2009
A better way would be contacting the developers of that particular app and having them fix it, so that Ethernet is treated the same way as Wi-Fi.

It is only an assumption, but I am guessing that apps such as the Xfinity TV app by Comcast are setup that way so that people can not use devices such as the FireTV and the Ouya as a replacement for renting a set top box from them. Yes, I can get around this issue by going on wifi, but why use an worst connection method when there may be another way around it? Also Androids open environment is supposed to encourage the creation of alternative ways of doing things.

Looking through other threads, there appears to be a desire for an app that spoofs wifi for people who are also only on 4G or other wireless methods. Having an app on android that could spoof a wifi connection when you are 3G or 4G wireless would be just as useful for some people.

Reactions: FrostyOrDie

Chahk

Apr 11, 2009
New York
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Looking through other threads, there appears to be a desire for an app that spoofs wifi for people who are also only on 4G or other wireless methods. Having an app on android that could spoof a wifi connection when you are 3G or 4G wireless would be just as useful for some people.

I can see the usefulness of such an app, but it would probably require a rooted device. As far as I know, Fire TV has not been rooted yet.

FrostyOrDie

Feb 27, 2012
It has been rooted. But the method has not been shared yet. I believe he said it wasn't ready for release yet. Something along those lines. At any rate it will be eventually

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A better way would be contacting the developers of that particular app and having them fix it, so that Ethernet is treated the same way as Wi-Fi.

It is only an assumption, but I am guessing that apps such as the Xfinity TV app by Comcast are setup that way so that people can not use devices such as the FireTV and the Ouya as a replacement for renting a set top box from them. Yes, I can get around this issue by going on wifi, but why use an worst connection method when there may be another way around it? Also Androids open environment is supposed to encourage the creation of alternative ways of doing things.