289 posts
Thanks Meter: 319

By Proverbs2, Senior Member on 1st May 2014, 08:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th May 2014, 05:05 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member

More
I've updated the guide and added a section that explains how to customize the rom before installation: how to remove unnecessary files to save space in the system partition, replace the default bootanimation and boostrap image, change the default baseband and LCD screen dpi, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for other possible customizations I should mention?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Proverbs2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Proverbs2 Ad-Free

28th May 2014, 04:14 PM |#22  
OP Senior Member

More
more recommendations
I've updated and reorganized the OP, adding a section on customizing & improving performance.

While I'm at it, here's another recommendation:

I recommend using the new Google Camera app instead of the stock camera, because it shows the whole field of view of the camera. The SlimKat camera allows you to see the whole field of view when taking pictures (if the "True View" option is enabled), but you still won't see the whole field of view when recording videos in SD resolution. Even with "True View" enabled, the stock camera preview shows a widescreen aspect ratio when recording videos in 480p, which means that you won't see the whole field of view that you are recording. The Google Camera app solves that problem for both CM11 and SlimKat.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Proverbs2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Proverbs2 Ad-Free
17th June 2014, 09:22 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Question
Hello

First of all, a big thank you to Proverbs2
Then, excuse me if my english is not perfect.

To avoid doing stupid things, I would like to ask you two questions.

I would like to install Android Kitkat by Quarx on a Motorola Defy running CM 7.2.0.

Additional informations :
- Bootmenu Recovery v.5.0.6-jordan
- Android Bootbenu v.1.1.5
- Defaut Mode : 2nd-init

1) Should I start with this step?
install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard, and install defy_twrp_recovery_2.6.3.0.zip.

2) Then I follow the instructions step 3, step 4 ... ?
17th June 2014, 09:55 PM |#24  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2h

1) Should I start with this step?
install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard, and install defy_twrp_recovery_2.6.3.0.zip.

2) Then I follow the instructions step 3, step 4 ... ?

Yes, that's correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to Proverbs2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Proverbs2 Ad-Free
17th June 2014, 10:13 PM |#25  

More
Thumbs up
Thanks !

I will tell you tomorrow if it works ! I hope, this is not my phone
18th June 2014, 01:58 PM |#26  

More
Thumbs up
It works !!!

Thanks again for the guide !
The Following User Says Thank You to sl2h For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sl2h Ad-Free
22nd June 2014, 12:40 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 211

More
Have been searching for such guide for the Defy. Actually there are lot of Motorola phones in my family and one of the is Defy which is lying abandoned these days because of obsolete OS.

But now will try to install the new ROM mentioned in this thread and will give new life to the Defy
27th June 2014, 09:12 PM |#28  

More
Reboot after Safewipe and now stuck on Motorola logo
Hi,

I installed CM11 on my motorola defy+
It installed properly but I wasn't getting mobile network on it, so I decided to roll back.
I went into custom TeamWin recovery, and flashed safewipe and it rebooted after that.

I have a backup on sdcard that I took right before installing CM11 but whenever I try to start the phone, it is stuck on Motorola logo. Did I do something wrong? Is there any fix for this?

Edit: Flashing SBF file of 2.3.6 firmware using RDSLite worked.
29th June 2014, 10:53 PM |#29  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfric1

Hi,

I installed CM11 on my motorola defy+
It installed properly but I wasn't getting mobile network on it, so I decided to roll back.
I went into custom TeamWin recovery, and flashed safewipe and it rebooted after that.

I have a backup on sdcard that I took right before installing CM11 but whenever I try to start the phone, it is stuck on Motorola logo. Did I do something wrong? Is there any fix for this?

Edit: Flashing SBF file of 2.3.6 firmware using RDSLite worked.

Glad you were able to recover with RSDLite

By the way, are you sure you were using the correct baseband when you were on CM11? If not, that might explain why you weren't getting mobile network.
The Following User Says Thank You to Proverbs2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Proverbs2 Ad-Free
1st July 2014, 02:27 AM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
One of the greatest guides. THANK YOU so much @Proverbs2!

Sorry for the ignorant question but... how do I enter recovery from SlimKat? I lost 2ndinit after flashing it; and last time this happened I tried to flash Defy TRWP with ROM Manager (from SlimKat) and got stuck in a bootloop having to flash everything from SBF.
I really need to access the recovery because I always do a nandroid backup of a clean installed ROM before messing with it. Is there another way to do it?

Thank you
1st July 2014, 09:10 AM |#31  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbs2

Glad you were able to recover with RSDLite

By the way, are you sure you were using the correct baseband when you were on CM11? If not, that might explain why you weren't getting mobile network.

Yes, the baseband was correct, but I think it was simple matter of enabling data while roaming. Seems foolish now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wulfric1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wulfric1 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)