Stock recovery problems

Search This thread

BJ van Beethoven

Dec 17, 2010
Auckland
Hey guys,

Apologies if this has already been covered before; I've just tried flashing a stock recovery back onto my One (after using TWRP) to apply an OTA update but when I boot into recovery it comes up with an image of the phone and a red exclamation mark/triangle and doesn't appear to go into recovery at all - this also happens when I try applying the OTA update after downloading it.

What am I doing wrong here? I've booted the phone into fastboot, run fastboot flash recovery [recovery image name] from the command prompt and everything appears to work but there's just no recovery.

Software version is 1.12.710.17, had downloaded the appropriate recovery image.

I've also had Xposed installed, but have tried disabling it as well which doesn't seem to help.

EDIT: Have tried flashing via fastboot again, then accessing recovery through hboot and it comes up with "no image or wrong image" (this is while entering hboot menu, not into recovery). Phone is rooted and has S-OFF, I don't understand why it isn't saving the recovery image?

DOUBLE EDIT: I can flash custom recoveries via fastboot fine, although I still get the "no image or wrong image" message when entering the hboot menu (although I can actually get to recovery). Much confusion, such frustration. Wow.

Last edited:

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
Hey guys,

Apologies if this has already been covered before; I've just tried flashing a stock recovery back onto my One (after using TWRP) to apply an OTA update but when I boot into recovery it comes up with an image of the phone and a red exclamation mark/triangle and doesn't appear to go into recovery at all - this also happens when I try applying the OTA update after downloading it.

What am I doing wrong here? I've booted the phone into fastboot, run fastboot flash recovery [recovery image name] from the command prompt and everything appears to work but there's just no recovery.

Software version is 1.12.710.17, had downloaded the appropriate recovery image.

I've also had Xposed installed, but have tried disabling it as well which doesn't seem to help.

EDIT: Have tried flashing via fastboot again, then accessing recovery through hboot and it comes up with "no image or wrong image" (this is while entering hboot menu, not into recovery). Phone is rooted and has S-OFF, I don't understand why it isn't saving the recovery image?

DOUBLE EDIT: I can flash custom recoveries via fastboot fine, although I still get the "no image or wrong image" message when entering the hboot menu (although I can actually get to recovery). Much confusion, such frustration. Wow.

Where did you get the recovery image from? did you extract it from the OTA?

BJ van Beethoven

Dec 17, 2010
Auckland
Just extract it from your OTA zip file. it will be in the firmware.zip file. You'll have to use 7zip or something to extract it.

Thanks for the advice, gave it a try but I'm still stuck at square one it seems. I try and boot to recovery after flashing and it comes up with the image of the phone with the red exclamation mark/triangle still.

BJ van Beethoven

Dec 17, 2010
Auckland
press and hold volume up then press power.

Thank you sir! I'd been holding power which was rebooting the phone.

That's at least got me into recovery, but now when I try and apply the OTA file via recovery it comes up with "/system/lib/modules/a8293.ko" has unexpected contents. Installation aborted.

It's a never-ending battle! Hahah.

Last edited:

BJ van Beethoven

Dec 17, 2010
Auckland
Got the update applied finally, managed to find a backup I'd made before flashing the custom kernel. Flashed back to stock recovery, applied the OTA and all good!

isaythings

May 22, 2014
OTA Update Problem.

Got the update applied finally, managed to find a backup I'd made before flashing the custom kernel. Flashed back to stock recovery, applied the OTA and all good!

Sorry Im a bit of a Noob but I'm trying to get the new OTA update.

I rooted with hasoon's toolkit, Ive changed nothing on my phone except for installing some root only apps from the playstore.

My current firmware is 1.12.502.18

How do I go about getting my OTA update? I cant seem to find a link that explains this clearly.

Thank you for your time.

HTC One M8
AT&T

BJ van Beethoven

Dec 17, 2010
Auckland
Sorry Im a bit of a Noob but I'm trying to get the new OTA update.

I rooted with hasoon's toolkit, Ive changed nothing on my phone except for installing some root only apps from the playstore.

My current firmware is 1.12.502.18

How do I go about getting my OTA update? I cant seem to find a link that explains this clearly.

Thank you for your time.

HTC One M8
AT&T

Do you have the OTA update available to you at the moment? And have you flashed a custom recovery at all?

Dave O

Jan 3, 2013

Hey @exad it seems I've run into the same problem as BJ van Beethoven... but I don't have a stock Kernel.. I noticed you're on Telus (so am I) you wouldn't happen to have a stock kernel from the last update would you? or could I use the one from the OTA I just downloaded? I made a copy and can unzip it and try to flash it.. I'm currently on 1.55.661.4 firmware.

thanks!!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just extract it from your OTA zip file. it will be in the firmware.zip file. You'll have to use 7zip or something to extract it.
    Thanks for the advice, gave it a try but I'm still stuck at square one it seems. I try and boot to recovery after flashing and it comes up with the image of the phone with the red exclamation mark/triangle still.

press and hold volume up then press power.