Need a guinea pig/tester for a small project

Search This thread

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I just need a tester for a small idea i have for installing twrp recovery and 2nd bootloader in a safer manner than usual. The other manners are pretty safe but i figured this seemed really safe because its so simplistic in nature. I don't know whether i will continue this project depending on the results of the test, but basically i thought why not make a 2nd init/bootstrapped twrp that runs a ota update on a zip file that just installs everything for you with a conveniently placed zip file with asserts that it checks for then deletes itself. My first test is just for a 2012 kfhd 7" that either has no 2nd bootloader + twrp and a fastboot cable handy to restore in case this soft bricks it or one with a version of twrp already installed that it higher than 2.6.0.0. I don't wanna post the actual file because i don't want accidental bricks. Chances are based on how this works it will probably brick the first time around because i have not messed with the hijack scripts to mount everything properly yet, but this was taken from another omap based device so if it doesn't work i don't think it will take too much tweaking, but the initial binary it tries to run may cause some havok. I can assure you this should be easy to restore from in twrp by simply renaming a system file, otherwise without a copy of twrp already installed you will have to restore with kffa. I need the kindle that this is being tested on to also be on a rooted amazon os, not another rom. I have no idea if twrp will work with amazon's stock kernel so this should be interesting. post back if you are interested.

If you are wondering why i didn't decide to test this on my own first its simply because i don't feel like having to wipe my entire data partition and restore the data from my pc just to clear selinux xattribs off my data partition so that amazon's kernel will not throw a fit.

So overview for those that don't want to read that big paragraph:

Requirements:
-Running Amazon OS with root
-Have a way to recover from brick (2nd bootloader + twrp or flash back with kffa/srt) - twrp preferred but plz have a never version than 2.6.0.0 installed.
-Have busybox installed

Last edited:

Ph0enix_216

I just need a tester for a small idea i have for installing twrp recovery and 2nd bootloader in a safer manner than usual. The other manners are pretty safe but i figured this seemed really safe because its so simplistic in nature. I don't know whether i will continue this project depending on the results of the test, but basically i thought why not make a 2nd init/bootstrapped twrp that runs a ota update on a zip file that just installs everything for you with a conveniently placed zip file with asserts that it checks for then deletes itself. My first test is just for a 2012 kfhd 7" that either has no 2nd bootloader + twrp and a fastboot cable handy to restore in case this soft bricks it or one with a version of twrp already installed that it higher than 2.6.0.0. I don't wanna post the actual file because i don't want accidental bricks. Chances are based on how this works it will probably brick the first time around because i have not messed with the hijack scripts to mount everything properly yet, but this was taken from another omap based device so if it doesn't work i don't think it will take too much tweaking, but the initial binary it tries to run may cause some havok. I can assure you this should be easy to restore from in twrp by simply renaming a system file, otherwise without a copy of twrp already installed you will have to restore with kffa. I need the kindle that this is being tested on to also be on a rooted amazon os, not another rom. I have no idea if twrp will work with amazon's stock kernel so this should be interesting. post back if you are interested.

If you are wondering why i didn't decide to test this on my own first its simply because i don't feel like having to wipe my entire data partition and restore the data from my pc just to clear selinux xattribs off my data partition so that amazon's kernel will not throw a fit.

Requirements:
-Have a way to recover from brick (2nd bootloader + twrp or flash back with kffa/srt) - twrp preferred but plz have a never version than 2.6.0.0 installed.
-Have busybox installed

If I can get my Kindle back up and running, I'll have a go at it for you. But that's a pretty big if right now.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, somewhere in the time vortex

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Ok thanks, kinda surprised no one has offered before you. This had over 100 views. I guess not too many people are using amazon os that are willing to risk a softbrick. Hopefully this will work I think it is a bit safer than the other methods for beginners that don't want to risk anything.

Tapatalk is annoying me to no end lately... Had to type this message again because quick reply is being glitchy.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro
I could also volunteer. I have an extra Kindle fire 7" Hd. It is rooted and running 7.4.8. I have my trusty fastboot cable and I already have system images for a quick restore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
The safest method is to "fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader oldbootloader.bin" then "fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot" (assuming you're using the cable and it auto-kicks you into bootloader mode again) "fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery twrp.img" and finally "fastboot -i 0x1949 oem recovery"

Edit: This is a more complex version of Hashcode's method, posted on the cm11 installation instructions page.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Yea but the thing about that method is sometimes people have bad downloads and don't check for md5sums(not to mention tons of people always having driver issues). If everything is in a signed zip file then if the signature verification fails its about the same as a bad md5sum, not to mention I can add a md5sum comparison in the update-tools script. I was just wanting to make a one click bootloader install option that comes from an apk, kinda like fire flash but simpler.

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
So you're suggesting using an OpenRecoveryScript to flash twrp, the old bootloader, and apply the stack override file to allow for that "2nd boot loader" hack?

Theoretically, that should work, but Amazon might have put restrictions on the recovery to only allow Amazon-signed zip files so that something like this couldn't happen.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I thought only Amazon's recovery would have issues with the signature, even if tarp does I can just disable the signature check and use the update-script to check the md5sum before flashing.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
I thought only Amazon's recovery would have issues with the signature, even if tarp does I can just disable the signature check and use the update-script to check the md5sum before flashing.

If TWRP is required, doesn't that make this pointless, because you need the 2nd bootloader hack to make twrp work in the first place? Or perhaps I'm just misunderstanding...

EDIT: when I have the time, I'll see if I can manage to recover from my weird semi-brick and if so, I'll revert to stock and help you test.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Thanks, and what I,m saying is you run twrp through 2nd init. I have done it on my phone before, has the same hardware as a kf1 with twice as much ram. I have not seen tarp implemented in this manner before though, only cwm, that's another reason I wanted to test this idea.

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
Thanks, and what I,m saying is you run twrp through 2nd init. I have done it on my phone before, has the same hardware as a kf1 with twice as much ram. I have not seen tarp implemented in this manner before though, only cwm, that's another reason I wanted to test this idea.

Oh. You mean a FakeFlash? That's when you flash a zip that actually just overlays a second recovery. Ex. Flashing a TWRP FakeFlash would allow you to use TWRP from the stock recovery without replacing the installed recovery.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Oh. You mean a FakeFlash? That's when you flash a zip that actually just overlays a second recovery. Ex. Flashing a TWRP FakeFlash would allow you to use TWRP from the stock recovery without replacing the installed recovery.

That kinda sounds like it, for a more detailed explanation, this is what i'm basing it off of: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2095825

I believe thats the right link. Had to search for it so it might not be but i think it is.

Ph0enix_216

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Ok I'll upload it tomorrow. I was just checking my notifications. On a side note I left my kindle in the car and woke and woke up and realized it, having to use my phone to check messages because I will cause a domino reaction if I open the front door... it starts with dogs waking up...

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Sorry I haven't uploaded it yet, i will upload it when I have a chance, my weekend has been chaotic because I've been having to prepare for the job I am starting training for tomorrow. I have been meaning to do it but I hit another snag when I finally got some time to myself I told Ubuntu to upgrade to 14.04 and then unity surprised me and now apparently can't set the window buttons to right so I feel like i'm using a mac which I do not like at all so I decided to use mate since its pretty much what mynfavorite Ubuntu distribution had 10.04lts) so I have been spending the better part of the day reconfiguring it so it was more so like Ubuntu 10.04's theme but I modernized it a bit. Still not done with the theme yet but it is much much better. I think I'm going to attempt to add transparency to the theme. Just realized how off topic i went. Anyways I will see about uploading it tomorrow after I get off of work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Requirements:
    -Have busybox installed