[Q] firewater woes

Search This thread

OdinValknir

May 20, 2014
League City Texas
So, I have searched both here and at overclock.net (how i found my way here)

I am totally new to rooting/unlocking phones.. I got my M8 yesterday and have been doing much research into the matter and decided I would try it... I have followed the instructions as listed here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708628

and am stuck on step 12... I have downloaded the firewater file.. and dropped it into adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321/sdk/platform_tools file on my computer (is it supposed to be on the device somewhere?)... it says after downloading the file to follow the instuctions listed on firewater website.. but i dont understand what it is telling me to do (again.. totally new to this).. i have installed an ran weaksauce.. installed supersu and made sure i had root with Rootchecker... what exactly am i missing here?

not sure what this is telling me to do:

Push, Prepare, obtain root, and execute firewater:

adb reboot <--important!!!!
adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
adb shell
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
su
/data/local/tmp/firewater

i apologize in advance if there is a duplicate post explaining this somewhere.. I searched and did not find it.. and for my newbish ignorance of how all this works... lol.. the help is greatly appreciated as i do not want to **** up my new shiny awesome M8

EDIT: I successfully rooted and unlock the bootloader... hmmm now to find something to do with it lol

any suggestions? or steps to take next?

Last edited:

grentuu

Jan 9, 2011
Just outside of Manchester UK
^^^^ +1 What he says

If you have any experience with DOS, think about it like this:

Obviously this reboots the phone,

This pushes (copys) the firewater file to that directory on your phone

adb shell
su

Gives you Root access as Superuser and edits permissions on the file

This executes firewater

From then it's a waiting game to see whether how long it takes to gain S-OFF or if you are one of the unlucky ones who get the whelp message.

Reactions: metalfan78

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
I'm gonna be blunt - if you don't know what you're doing why even try? Read up on the Android basics first, and whether you even need to be S-OFF? What are you wanting to do with the phone?

If you carry on just winging it you'll end up with a potential paper weight

Reactions: SaHiLzZ

SaHiLzZ

Jan 19, 2011
I'm gonna be blunt - if you don't know what you're doing why even try? Read up on the Android basics first, and whether you even need to be S-OFF? What are you wanting to do with the phone?

Well said!

OdinValknir

May 20, 2014
League City Texas
Well taking yalls advice how would anyone learn anything? you can't learn without doing... And guess what... I figured it all out by myself ... "Winging it" is the only way to learn in my opinion... Follow directions and do what it says... I was simply looking at the wrong thing when trying to get through the firewater step...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
I don't want to start anything but for people who may read this thread in the future, I can easily link to several threads where winging it has ended in a brick and now that you have S-OFF, I really really don't recommend winging it. Of course you can do as you please, it's only because I care that I am making this post.

OdinValknir

May 20, 2014
League City Texas
Again... I'm not the run of the mill phone user who has no experience with this kind of thing... As far as tweaking electronics goes... I've been doing things like this on PC's for years... Just not on phones... I was able to successfully flash and boot the ROM... Without issue or bricking my phone.. I was hung up on one step because I read the step wrong..

People come to forums and ask questions because they have some understanding and maybe need some help ... Not to be told "if you don't know don't try". That is a real issue in this country and I'm sure most others... People give up bc they have that mentality... That's sheer ignorance.. I hope no one ever takes that kind of advice from you.. in the future try to be a bit more helpful to someone.. not just flame them for being novice at something..

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ^^^^ +1 What he says

If you have any experience with DOS, think about it like this:

Obviously this reboots the phone,

This pushes (copys) the firewater file to that directory on your phone

adb shell
    su

Gives you Root access as Superuser and edits permissions on the file

This executes firewater

From then it's a waiting game to see whether how long it takes to gain S-OFF or if you are one of the unlucky ones who get the whelp message.