What gets lost when unlocking bootloader?

Search This thread

RevokOne

Dec 24, 2013
I've searched and read for this but there seems to be mixed results. Some say you lose bravia engine, drm keys (Walkman app?), bionz processing, and obviously warranty but is it all these or just drm keys? is there a link that says what actually gets lost? I backed up the ta partition when unlocking so I'm not worried, I just wanted to know.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
First hand experience here. I have an unlocked bootloader Z1 Compact.

1st X-Reality still works on unlock bootloader... See 2 screenshots below with Xreality turned on and off.
2nd download music info & movie info also works.
3rd clearaudio still works
4th x-loud still works
5th Track-ID still works
6th OTA update - not sure
7th Bionz - How should I tell? So far though I'm still impressed with the camera and haven't notice any difference.

Attachments

• Comp.jpg
    Comp.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 1,110
X

x102x96x

i

I've searched and read for this but there seems to be mixed results. Some say you lose bravia engine, drm keys (Walkman app?), bionz processing, and obviously warranty but is it all these or just drm keys? is there a link that says what actually gets lost? I backed up the ta partition when unlocking so I'm not worried, I just wanted to know.

technically u will only lose ur personal data! contact, installed apps and ... (like factory reset)
everything else should work fine IF there s no problem in ROM like what happened at first for XZ1 devices.
on xperia z1 users were lost all camera functionality after unlocking bootloader. (but Sony fixed that problem)

:good:

fdebef

May 5, 2011
Brno

1st X-Reality still works on unlock bootloader... See 2 screenshots below with Xreality turned on and off.
4th x-loud still works
5th Track-ID still works
7th Bionz - How should I tell? So far though I'm still impressed with the camera and haven't notice any difference.

Do you use any application that uses DRM? (e.g. paid video streaming service/TV)

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
@fdebef
I don't have any idea what apps use DRM on android. But for streaming service I use music unlimited & video unlimited of Sony. And till now I'm still using it. Also they said X-Reality & download music info uses DRM too and they're still working on my phone.

So generally speaking up to now so far I haven't notice any differences yet between having a locked and unlocked bootloader.

Do you use any application that uses DRM? (e.g. paid video streaming service/TV)

pcpepik

Oct 14, 2012
Could you please post a screenshot from service menu > service tests > security ?

PS: XReality is only noticeable when you zoom in:

wz6gu8kg.png

nwlw96b0.png

Last edited:

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Could you please post a screenshot from service menu > service tests > security ?

PS: XReality is only noticeable when you zoom in:

wz6gu8kg.png

nwlw96b0.png

@pcpepik
MARLIN, WMLA, CKB shows [Unknown Error][Active]
Others show [Key OK][Active]
Regardless though haven't encountered any DRM issues still. Also look at the screenshot I attached on my previous post. X-Reality is fully working hate it thought seems like it's over sharpening the edges of the objects in the image.

pcpepik

Oct 14, 2012
@Riyal
Oh, I'm sorry, didn't noticed the difference on your screenshots before :eek: (yes, one of the functions of XReality is that it adds sharpness: http://youtu.be/IaLIW2SY1P4?t=1m15s)

"Unknown Error" means deleted keys, though I dont know which exact apps/services relay on them too :(

Last edited:

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
@Riyal
Oh, I'm sorry, didn't noticed the difference on your screenshots before :eek: (yes, one of the functions of XReality is that it adds sharpness: http://youtu.be/IaLIW2SY1P4?t=1m15s)

"Unknown Error" means deleted keys, though I dont know which exact apps/services relay on them too :(

Yep... As long as I can use everything I don't mind though... Still I find it odd that the security test fails on marlin but it still shows up on DRM Info.

Last edited:

pcpepik

Oct 14, 2012
I's simple, "DRM Info" only shows which DRM authentication services are supported on your device, not if the keys, that are used for verification, are presented ;)
(You have it stated in the description of that app on GP, btw)

brocnical

Oct 9, 2011
Ulster
Do you still get access to updates to Sony applications (e.g. Walkman, Album etc.) through the Update Centre after bootloader unlocking?

brocnical

Oct 9, 2011
Ulster
Do you still get access to updates to Sony applications (e.g. Walkman, Album etc.) through the Update Centre after bootloader unlocking?

To answer my own question, I got an update to the Movies application via Update Centre on the first Kitkat firmware with my bootloader unlocked. Therefore, application updates still work.

Unlike older Sony firmwares on other Sony phones, I have not noticed any feature which does not work on an unlocked bootloader, except for trying get a firmware update with PC Companion which will give you an error (and in that case you can just can use Flashtool to make your own FTF with the downloaded update and flash manually).

I am still not sure whether OTA system updates will still work via Update Centre or not (I was never patient enough to wait for one of these!)

Last edited:

Gwynned

Jul 22, 2007
Mirrorlink don't work for me with unlocked BL. It work if BL is locked (and TA restored)

harrymason37

Jan 17, 2014
Tago
I tried once installing custom recovery and it did stop updates on my phone. I tried manual installation of cwm.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

4th x-loud still works
    5th Track-ID still works
    Mirrorlink don't work for me with unlocked BL. It work if BL is locked (and TA restored)

Try reformatting the whole phone after unlocking bootloader... Cause just tried right now Mirrorlink is working on my phone. And it's on unlocked bootloader.
    paul5425,
    it's my first Sony and I'm trying to understand how things works with them, would you please be so nice to let me know which procedure you followed to unlock bootloader, root and install CWM?

Thanks.

To unlock bootloader, follow the official instructions here:
    http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/

(warning!: will lose all data on phone so backup first if you need to)

Then you need to download to your phone the zip file of a superuser or SuperSU application like: http://download.clockworkmod.com/superuser/superuser.zip

To install CWM you need to flash a custom kernel like DoomLord's with FlashTool: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2620794

Warning: if you choose to flash a custom kernel, the custom kernel version needs to match your firmware version. (However, if an up to date custom kernel is not available then you can use a hot-boot method to get access to CWM while still keeping the stock Sony kernel: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53085489&postcount=225 , though such a "hot boot" method has extra complications)

When you have access to CWM (press volume up when you see the violet LED on boot) then just install your superuser/superSU zip to get root (and if you hot-booted you need to do an extra step explained in the link above)