[DEV][GUIDE] Upgrading your Rom to 4.4.2 Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dr87

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2013
I have been getting a few PM's for help with upgrading to a 4.4.2 device base. I would like to share what I think is the most efficient way to upgrade to 4.4.2 sources with the least issues. This is the method I use on my Mahdi Rom. I see devs with issues stopping them from going to full 4.4.2 device/kernel/vendor trees and I would like to help get some more roms updated. If most roms follow the same methods we can also have custom kernels again.

4.4 device tree:
Heavily modified from our 4.2 CM device tree. I also fixed some RIL issues that would stop the new RIL from working in some roms.

4.4 vendor tree
: Completely remade using hammerhead as the base for the best aosp compatibility. Only added necessary blobs to run our hardware. The old vendor tree had way too many added files that didn't need to be used as prebuilts. Added missing files that should be present in kitkat. Sprint camera is currently broken and hopefully a LS980 dev can figure it out (Believe this to be vendor related)

4.4 kernel - clean branch
: Only added the commits required for the rom to function normally, specials thanks to rmcc (original author of ril, vibration, bt fixes in my kernel tree) and jackpotclavin for a lot of the original AOSP fixes and many things on the G2 tree. On the 4.4.2 tree I was unable to get call echo fixed and we had other strange audio bugs everywhere due to reliance on the stock rom and taiko file. I decided to replace all the vendor / kernel audio drivers with Nexus 5 wcd9320 drivers and use custom mixers and audio has been working perfectly so far. (All this is already in the links I posted)

Other requirements

This commit must be added to display-caf

Qcom common folder

CM media repo

If anyone needs help with issues updating a rom post here and I will try to help.

Last edited:
D

desireaftergod

Of course, I'm no developer, but I just wanted to say thanks for all your help for the developing community DR87...As an avid ROM flasher, I am very excited at seeing the prospect of more roms being updated to use with 24A:cool:

amit_sen

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 27, 2011
New Delhi
thnx @dr87 from all of G2 community .

hmmmm ...

looks like some goodies are coming for my vs980 buddies :) :)
Time to get back to work ....

Reactions: ahjee

arifqur

Nov 12, 2005
Hey people don't leave us Sprint G2 users behind.
Looking forward to a unified kernel for G2.
Also if in some way compatibility for jdi and lgd display panels could be found to co-exist in the same kernel it would be much easier for the kernel devs to put out their stuff in fewer kernel variants.
Just a thought.

Raagh

Jun 12, 2013
This should be a bigg bigg sticky :)

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk

Reginald476

Sep 19, 2012
Lansing
Thank you so much for posting this, I am one of those PMers who were begging for the mighty wisdom of the doctor. :laugh:

If any of the other devs/maintainers would like a Hangout, I think that might be a great idea, I would be all for joining/creating it.

Reactions: ahjee

apascual89

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 17, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Thank you so much for posting this, I am one of those PMers who were begging for the mighty wisdom of the doctor. :laugh:

If any of the other devs/maintainers would like a Hangout, I think that might be a great idea, I would be all for joining/creating it.

I'm getting my g2 today to work on updating Gummy to 4.4.2 sources so if you guys start a hangout, count me in. apascual89@gmail.com

dr87

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2013

spiderio

Aug 28, 2009
Jakarta
hi dr87 this awesome thread is on the PORTAL...

~ups my bad, someone already told you...

thanks for this useful tree you made
I love your mahdi rom :good:

goast

Aug 18, 2012
Hinesville, Ga
Just wanted to jump in here and say I appreciate all the work you guys are putting in.. I couldn't develop a wet paper bag but if any of you want a tester or somebody to chop it up with I'm your guy hit me up on hangouts goast912@gmail.com

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Reginald476

Sep 19, 2012
Lansing
@dr87, we seem to be having an issue with HD video with the new sources, any thoughts? Also if you want to join our group, there are about 7 of us in there now.

Thanks again for your hard work and huge thanks for sharing. :victory:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been getting a few PM's for help with upgrading to a 4.4.2 device base. I would like to share what I think is the most efficient way to upgrade to 4.4.2 sources with the least issues. This is the method I use on my Mahdi Rom. I see devs with issues stopping them from going to full 4.4.2 device/kernel/vendor trees and I would like to help get some more roms updated. If most roms follow the same methods we can also have custom kernels again.

4.4 device tree:
    Heavily modified from our 4.2 CM device tree. I also fixed some RIL issues that would stop the new RIL from working in some roms.

4.4 vendor tree
    : Completely remade using hammerhead as the base for the best aosp compatibility. Only added necessary blobs to run our hardware. The old vendor tree had way too many added files that didn't need to be used as prebuilts. Added missing files that should be present in kitkat. Sprint camera is currently broken and hopefully a LS980 dev can figure it out (Believe this to be vendor related)

4.4 kernel - clean branch
    : Only added the commits required for the rom to function normally, specials thanks to rmcc (original author of ril, vibration, bt fixes in my kernel tree) and jackpotclavin for a lot of the original AOSP fixes and many things on the G2 tree. On the 4.4.2 tree I was unable to get call echo fixed and we had other strange audio bugs everywhere due to reliance on the stock rom and taiko file. I decided to replace all the vendor / kernel audio drivers with Nexus 5 wcd9320 drivers and use custom mixers and audio has been working perfectly so far. (All this is already in the links I posted)

Other requirements

This commit must be added to display-caf

Qcom common folder

CM media repo

If anyone needs help with issues updating a rom post here and I will try to help.
    Will be updating Vanir this weekend

Hah nice :good:

Anyone who forked the vendor repo should sync with me again, when I added the rest of the vendor folders I forgot to sort out the device filters which would cause some duplicate errors
    I've got slim booting on d800 and everything is working except for a few things I forgot to add overlays for. HD video is working fine on slim.
    Hey doc! What do you know you are on the XDA Portal

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/need-help-updating-your-lg-g2-rom-to-4-4-2-sources/

Congrats you deserve it