Anyone found a fix for chromecast

Search This thread

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Have you had a chance to read the G+ link?

It's a bunch of folks trying to figure out how to apply different functions from the SDK/APIs. To me, it shows there are a ton of varibles and options available to developers and probably more than one way to do the same thing.

I thought this was interesting...
Hi, I'm able to see the volume level on Chromecast when I call setVolume on the sender side during the Preview SDK days. But this is no longer available in the Public SDK, setVolume don't trigger any UI on the receiver side although the audio level do change (I'm using the default media receiver). I felt that the visual feedback on volume level change should be shown by default as this is the standard expectation on TV. or have I missed out anything? is there an extra steps to trigger the UI on the receiver?

Yup I'm using the wrong api, I should be using the Cast.CastApi.setVolume(). After changing to that api, the volume UI appears now. Thanks.

I was mislead by the Preview SDK, where I used to call MediaProtocolMessageStream.setVolume() to change volume.​
Volume either as a control or indicator can be integrated in to Chromecast apps on both the client and receiver side. Maybe some devs are misusing an API related to volume that conflicts with some of Samsung or Android's code on the device? Someone's coloring outside the lines and creating conflicts with other apps or an API itself isn't performing as published. Since some apps work and others don't here's some things to consider:

• Apps that work don't use the volume control API or are applying it differently than apps that don't work.

• Apps that work have their own receiver s/w (vs. using the standard HTML5 imbedded player) and the custom s/w written for them don't use the volume control API or replace it with something proprietary.

• Apps that don't work have their own receiver s/w and the custom s/w written for them is written incorrectly as it applies to the volume controls.

• Developers of broken apps didn't apply the volume API correctly.

• Samsung's moving the volume control to the notification panel is new. The API calls and integration they are using may be perfectly valid but may have never been used before. App devs may have taken shortcuts before with no affect that are now visible because of the new valid (but previously unused) code/APIs Samsung's introduced is breaking them.

• Samsung is using non-standard code/calls to get the volume control in the task bar and in doing so created the potential for conflict with other apps that are also trying to control volume in non-standard ways. Samsung does lots of user acceptance testing so if whatever they've done broke a lot of things it would most likely have been caught. This actually started in January with the launch of the Pro's. N10.1-14 owners are just feeling the delayed impact because our 4.4 code is based off the Pro's.

• Google's doing something non-published in their client apps that cast to Chromecast that's causing a problem. Since they own Android they can pretty much do whatever they want.

My very very very non technical observation is that the volume being in the status/notification bar could be the cause. If you change the volume on the tablet, you get the stock looking popup on the screen showing the volume. The volume slider in the status bar will change its look. For example when your sound is on it has a notification sound icon, playing music it has a speaker icon etc. When you use youtube or hbo go, they both generate their own volume pop up that looks nothing like the stock android system pop up. Is it possible that the staus bar does not know how to show chromecast volume and crashes?

The OS controls volume. Individual apps just send it instructions via an API/code. As long as everyone colors between the lines it shouldn't matter when, where, or what the volume controls look like or when they appear. If you touch the right sight of the display when Samsung's stock video player is running you'll see a vertical volume control appear. Touch the left side and the same thing happens for brightness. In and of itself apps independently manipulating OS controls like volume and brightness isn't a problem.

chgambini

Sep 12, 2008
Seattle
It's a bunch of folks trying to figure out how to apply different functions from the SDK/APIs. To me, it shows there are a ton of varibles and options available to developers and probably more than one way to do the same thing.

I thought this was interesting...
Hi, I'm able to see the volume level on Chromecast when I call setVolume on the sender side during the Preview SDK days. But this is no longer available in the Public SDK, setVolume don't trigger any UI on the receiver side although the audio level do change (I'm using the default media receiver). I felt that the visual feedback on volume level change should be shown by default as this is the standard expectation on TV. or have I missed out anything? is there an extra steps to trigger the UI on the receiver?

Yup I'm using the wrong api, I should be using the Cast.CastApi.setVolume(). After changing to that api, the volume UI appears now. Thanks.

I was mislead by the Preview SDK, where I used to call MediaProtocolMessageStream.setVolume() to change volume.​
Volume either as a control or indicator can be integrated in to Chromecast apps on both the client and receiver side. Maybe some devs are misusing an API related to volume that conflicts with some of Samsung or Android's code on the device? Someone's coloring outside the lines and creating conflicts with other apps or an API itself isn't performing as published. Since some apps work and others don't here's some things to consider:

• Apps that work don't use the volume control API or are applying it differently than apps that don't work.

• Apps that work have their own receiver s/w (vs. using the standard HTML5 imbedded player) and the custom s/w written for them don't use the volume control API or replace it with something proprietary.

• Apps that don't work have their own receiver s/w and the custom s/w written for them is written incorrectly as it applies to the volume controls.

• Developers of broken apps didn't apply the volume API correctly.

• Samsung's moving the volume control to the notification panel is new. The API calls and integration they are using may be perfectly valid but may have never been used before. App devs may have taken shortcuts before with no affect that are now visible because of the new valid (but previously unused) code/APIs Samsung's introduced is breaking them.

• Samsung is using non-standard code/calls to get the volume control in the task bar and in doing so created the potential for conflict with other apps that are also trying to control volume in non-standard ways. Samsung does lots of user acceptance testing so if whatever they've done broke a lot of things it would most likely have been caught. This actually started in January with the launch of the Pro's. N10.1-14 owners are just feeling the delayed impact because our 4.4 code is based off the Pro's.

• Google's doing something non-published in their client apps that cast to Chromecast that's causing a problem. Since they own Android they can pretty much do whatever they want.

The OS controls volume. Individual apps just send it instructions via an API/code. As long as everyone colors between the lines it shouldn't matter when, where, or what the volume controls look like or when they appear. If you touch the right sight of the display when Samsung's stock video player is running you'll see a vertical volume control appear. Touch the left side and the same thing happens for brightness. In and of itself apps independently manipulating OS controls like volume and brightness isn't a problem.

I believe your right on many levels. We have seen Google not follow their own rules and standards. It is their os and can basically do whatever they want and change at any time. I believe samsung does the same.

When you comb through the various google support forums, I get the feeling that google takes the stance that anything that causes a systemui crash is a modification to the OS. seems like this error comes up with samsung products or custom roms where changes have been made.

When you contact samsung I get the impression they have no clue what chromecast is. Granted this is just customer service. I honestly dont know how much testing samsung would do with a product from google. Samsung "plays nice" with google services, but they are out to get people to use samsung music and movies too. Making sure chromecast works might have been way down on the priority list.

Like you have said, whatever the issue is, neither google or samsung "own" the problem. Google says call samsung, samsung says call google. Unfortunately we are in the middle of it with no option but to adjust how we use our tablets

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I believe your right on many levels. We have seen Google not follow their own rules and standards. It is their os and can basically do whatever they want and change at any time. I believe samsung does the same.

There's one big difference. Google doesn't provide end-user support and the OEM's do. Support costs money so there's an incentive to make sure what you sell works. That's why Samsung could go renegade with their code but doesn't. If they did, and most used apps didn't work, they'd be inundated with support requests. That's also why the OEMs do tons of internal and user acceptance testing. Plenty of Android's API calls and SDK specs have had issues that caused API crashes when used as directed. So saying "UI crashes are always third-party" is pretty lame. It's Google pretty much declaring their code "perfect" which no one can claim.

chgambini

Sep 12, 2008
Seattle
There's one big difference. Google doesn't provide end-user support and the OEM's do. Support costs money so there's an incentive to make sure what you sell works. That's why Samsung could go renegade with their code but doesn't. If they did, and most used apps didn't work, they'd be inundated with support requests. That's also why the OEMs do tons of internal and user acceptance testing. Plenty of Android's API calls and SDK specs have had issues that caused API crashes when used as directed. So saying "UI crashes are always third-party" is pretty lame. It's Google pretty much declaring their code "perfect" which no one can claim.

This is all true. We as the end-users need to figure out how to get their attention without having a google or samsung programmer sitting next to us when this happens. I am surely a phone geek, I know more than probably the average consumer, but I am not a programmer.

I know samsung has offices here in Seattle. Maybe I'll go ring their doorbell

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
This is all true. We as the end-users need to figure out how to get their attention without having a google or samsung programmer sitting next to us when this happens. I am surely a phone geek, I know more than probably the average consumer, but I am not a programmer.

I know samsung has offices here in Seattle. Maybe I'll go ring their doorbell

It would probably be helpful to come up with a list of Chromecast apps that work with 4.4 and those that don't. From there, maybe you guys can compare the differences in the way they are designed and the features they provide to identify if there's anything common to the broken ones. If Netflix works for example you could approach a smaller developer whose app doesn't and ask them why other apps work and their's doesn't. You'd probably get a lot further with a smaller developer than a larger one. Does anyone with Chromecast use Plex? Does it work? If it doesn't, you might get them involved because they tend to be particularly responsive to support requests and have a very active support forum.

Reactions: chgambini

pitchdarkice

Dec 24, 2011
Can we really rule out software? My tablet was fine before the update, no issues with chromecast at all. Now after the update I have problems. The only change is the OS.There are people talking about this, just google "samsung systemui crash chromecast" you will find threads in the 12.2 and 8.4 pro forums here and on other sites. @blinkingled found a post on G+ chromecast developers talking about it. Also threads in google support forums. Google nor samsung reply to anything.

I read a lot of relpies here saying they have no problems, but they go on to say they cast netflix or youtube. The biggest offenders I can tell are google play movie and music apps. Seems like maybe there are not as many complaints because netflix user are greater than us play movie users.

As far as samsung denying they have no reports of this frustrates me because I myself have contacted them multiple times and @blinkingled has sent the tablet in twice. We need to get past customer service and make sure the logcats are getting to a programer that knows how to decrypt the report.

In further testing, I do get the UI crash when I try and access the notifications. The apps affected for me are google play music and google play movies. I tried to disable the brightness and volume in the notification screen as well. No luck.

Reactions: chgambini

AM Radio

Jul 20, 2011
NR13-ROMEO-03
don't know if this will help or do nothing, but here's my deal: with a "fresh" tablet, less than a day old.

P600, stock, unrooted. only tweak is that i'm running Apex, and disabled some of the apps i'll never use (ChatOn, etc.). region: Canada.

after first boot, OS was updated to KK4.4. thought i would have to install Chromecast, but functionality was already there and ready to go. able to cast YouTube, Netflix, Google Music, Songza to my Sammy 40" TV, and accessing notifications, adjusting volume — no issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I very much agree with this - I have tried Costco and BB models - 2014 and Tab Pro and Note Pro - all had the same issue. It's the lucky few that haven't had it.

What regions does it affect? Obviously you're in the U.S. My working device is from Latin America. Do Chromecast's themselves come with a single version of s/w that's deployed identically worldwide? Google updates Chromecast. Was the Chromecast's firmware the same before and after the N10.1-14 started crashing? You need to figure out what the devices that aren't working have in common and that includes Chromecast itself. Does screen mirroring work by means other than Chromecast? You'd think if something was majorly wrong with the N10.1-14's video, networking, or s/w drivers screen mirroring would be borked consistently. Just some things to think about.

I'll give you an example. Some folks with the OG N10.1 reported importing PDF's crashed S Note. A bunch of us weren't having any issues. We found out that even though the OG 10.1 was only six months old at the time there were eight different versions of S Note installed depending on region. Two of the eight had the PDF problem. Therefore I'd be careful about making assumptions about how wide spread the issue is. Chromecast's pretty popular and I think there would be more "WTF?" posts if it was as widespread as some think it is.
    I have 2 chromecast in my house. Yes the are updated OTA directly from google. The firmware was the same before and after the update. My note 3 on 4.4 works perfectly with chromecast with the same version of google play music/movies and the ssme apps overall installed. Samsungs allsharecast will work on my tablets. The only devices I have that exhibit this behavior are the note 2014 and note pro. Both stock us version, both crash on play music/movies, both have random issues with video play back. The 2014 was fine before 4.4, so this leads me to believe the update is causing it. I did not try the pro until I had issues with the 2014 to see if it was the same so I cant say it was good or bad out of the box. The pro did rec an update right before the 2014 rec 4.4.

Comparing to other devices isn't going to help you. Hell, my N10.1-14 works fine with Chromecast on 4.4 and others have said the same thing. So the issue isn't where it works, it's where it doesn't and why. Out of what you said this is what I took away...

• The problem was introduced with 4.4 because your N10.1-14 worked fine with the same Chromecast device on 4.3. Is it something Samsung did in 4.4 specific to the Pros/Notes? Just for U.S. versions? Is it an issue in 4.4 itself that the specific Samsung s/w on the Pro/Notes is aggravating? It's not universal to 4.4 or 4.4 on the Pro/Notes because the problem's not happening beyond a subset of devices.

• Your device is from the U.S. as is @blinkingled 's. Where are the other people reporting issues device's from?

• You said the problem was there after a complete reset. Does that include preventing Google and Samsung from applying apps and settings stored in your accounts when you first start setup? I'd hard reset again skipping both the Samsung and Google account sign-ins. Go to Accounts in settings and add Google but quickly uncheck all the syncs so they don't add anything to your device. Same thing if Play tries to restore or update your apps. In Play, install one of the apps that was causing crashes. If with nothing but the basics on your tablet Chromecast is still crashing it's something in Samsung's update causing the problem. At least for the U.S.
    You mentioned the Pro receiving an update. Since this isn't a universal problem there's no assurance that Samsung's devs even know about it. If 100 people worldwide report a problem and it makes it in to Samsung's problem tracking system that's a blip compared to the millions of devices sold since the N10.1-14 became available in October. And since it's related to third party h/w it goes to the bottom of the line. In the scenario I described above with the OG Tab 10.1 PDF issue Samsung did nothing to specifically address the problem even though people from affected regions reported it. The next wave of planned updates fixed the problem because all regions received an S Note update. So if we can't figure out the issue it's highly unlikely Samsung will either. That means if an update corrects it it'll be coincidence not because Samsung's diligently working on a solution. In other words, people affected that live and die by Chromecast are potentially going to have to live with this for a while. :(

EDIT: Do you guys with issues have external SD cards? Try removing them and soft resetting the tablet (hold power for seven seconds) to see if that makes a difference.
    I agree, I have tried everything I know how to do. I have sent feedback to google as well just so they are aware of the problem with their apps. Seems like the threads on the pro forum just died out with no resolution.

I found this community over at G+ - https://plus.google.com/communities...0/stream/51473e63-210a-4865-b794-2a27bc4b67ab - Look at this post where the guy with Note Pro 12.2 posts a stack trace. May be everyone having that issue should join the community and keep bugging the developers about it.
    That is merely at the network level - blocked packets etc. that type of stuff. Routers I doubt will cause SystemUI crash due to to Volume change notification. That seems to be specific to status bar implementation - they seem to be different across CND and COO firmwares for example - COO had a +1-4 button to set base brightness that CND lacked.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Oh ok. Can you post some details about your tablet? Where did you buy it, 16/32GB , White/Black/ Firmware Version (CND2/COO/ whatever) - we are trying to figure out why some people have the issue consistently and others don't.

I guess keep in mind so far it was just one test on Netflix.

Otherwise it's a US, 32GB Note 10.1 2014 Black P600 Refurb that I got from the woot deal. It has the CND2 firmware.
    There are people, most likely the majority, that aren't having the issue. I'm not and neither is @pitchdarkice. If it were the majority you'd think this would be a bigger thread and that there'd be a similar big thread in all the Note/Pro forums. The fact Samsung doesn't have the issue flagged in their problem tracking system means they haven't gotten a lot of calls and that takes in to account the universe of users not just the XDA subset.

There are people in the U.S. with and without the problem all running the same 4.4 s/w. @chgambini tested his N10.1-14 right after a reset with as little on it as possible and still had the problem which tells me it isn't s/w. So whatever it is it's a variable and I wouldn't be too quick to discount drivers and on-device networking s/w interacting with stuff off the device as a potential culprit. Why do you think some U.S. N10.1-14's are fine with Chromecast on 4.4 and others aren't when they are all running the same s/w? That's the question that needs to be answered and when it is the problem will be identified.

Can we really rule out software? My tablet was fine before the update, no issues with chromecast at all. Now after the update I have problems. The only change is the OS.There are people talking about this, just google "samsung systemui crash chromecast" you will find threads in the 12.2 and 8.4 pro forums here and on other sites. @blinkingled found a post on G+ chromecast developers talking about it. Also threads in google support forums. Google nor samsung reply to anything.

I read a lot of relpies here saying they have no problems, but they go on to say they cast netflix or youtube. The biggest offenders I can tell are google play movie and music apps. Seems like maybe there are not as many complaints because netflix user are greater than us play movie users.

As far as samsung denying they have no reports of this frustrates me because I myself have contacted them multiple times and @blinkingled has sent the tablet in twice. We need to get past customer service and make sure the logcats are getting to a programer that knows how to decrypt the report.