Device behaving badly after updating to NAE while keeping MF9 bootloader

Search This thread

myphone12345

Jan 12, 2008
I followed the instructions in the thread that describes how to update to NAE from MF9 while keeping the MF9 bootloader: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2277480

I was on MF9 stock rooted (with TWRP recovery installed when I flashed the NAE modem via odin 3.0.7, not sure if that makes a difference).

All the steps seemed to go okay. As far as I can tell the versions look good. However, the device is super sluggish at times, especially the dialer. Sometimes I have trouble waking it. I can't toggle the WiFi on. I have not set the hotspot mod or sd card mod yet.

The device is essentially unusable. Every so often I will get a request to force close some app (like the dialer) because it is hanging.

I tried repeating the steps described in the thread above over and still get the same behavior. The second time I also did some more checking in the intermediary MK2 step after everything was set up and I did notice that sometimes it was doing the weird hanging problems there too (i.e. even before the NAE rom was installed).

I had no problems whatsoever with the device when it was on MF9.

Help! Any ideas??

Last edited:

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
Have you tried to install the nae modem. Its been observed that you need to install it in order to get full use of a NAE rom

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

myphone12345

Jan 12, 2008
Have you tried to install the nae modem. Its been observed that you need to install it in order to get full use of a NAE rom

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Yes, that is the very first step in the instructions. For good measure I even went back and reinstalled the NAE modem (even though it appeared to be successful).

I am thinking maybe I should go back and try to install/downgrade back to the MF9 modem to see if that would help.

Update: Everything seems okay now. I went back and flashed the MK2 modem, then reinstalled the MK2 ROM, then the NAE modem, booted into MK2 to see that it was okay, then installed the NAE rom. So far so good :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

zeplman

Jun 16, 2011
Reverting back to MF9 from NAE

Yes, that is the very first step in the instructions. For good measure I even went back and reinstalled the NAE modem (even though it appeared to be successful).

I am thinking maybe I should go back and try to install/downgrade back to the MF9 modem to see if that would help.

Update: Everything seems okay now. I went back and flashed the MK2 modem, then reinstalled the MK2 ROM, then the NAE modem, booted into MK2 to see that it was okay, then installed the NAE rom. So far so good :fingers-crossed:

Anyone got the instructions to revert back to MF9 from NAE, I installed 4.4.2 and NAE but it is very buggy, slow , sometimes unresponsive. Like to get back to MF9.
This is the link to what steps I took. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2277480

Thank you

DJSmoove

Feb 25, 2010
Chicago
I followed the instructions in the thread that describes how to update to NAE from MF9 while keeping the MF9 bootloader: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2277480

I was on MF9 stock rooted (with TWRP recovery installed when I flashed the NAE modem via odin 3.0.7, not sure if that makes a difference).

All the steps seemed to go okay. As far as I can tell the versions look good. However, the device is super sluggish at times, especially the dialer. Sometimes I have trouble waking it. I can't toggle the WiFi on. I have not set the hotspot mod or sd card mod yet.

The device is essentially unusable. Every so often I will get a request to force close some app (like the dialer) because it is hanging.

I tried repeating the steps described in the thread above over and still get the same behavior. The second time I also did some more checking in the intermediary MK2 step after everything was set up and I did notice that sometimes it was doing the weird hanging problems there too (i.e. even before the NAE rom was installed).

I had no problems whatsoever with the device when it was on MF9.

Help! Any ideas??

I had the same exact problem and I found a way to fix that so I can run NAE.. I read someone post and I just did these step to have a perfect running NAE stock rom.

Steps How To Install NAE (Odex) properly with MF9 Bootloader

1. Back-up apps with Titanium Backup or MyBackup
2. Download the following tools and files to have on-hand
A. Odin 3.07
B. CF-Root
C. Philz Recovery [I used the latest one 6.41.6.tar.md5]
D. MF9.tar Official
E. MK2 Modem.tar (No Firmware)
F. Stock MK2 Odex ROM (No Bootloader)
G. NAE Modem.tar (No Firmeware)
H. Stock NAE.Odex Rom (No Bootloader)
I. SDCard Fix for NAE
J. Hotspot Mod NAE (Odex) [If you want Hotspot]
3. Put the following files on your External SDcard from Step 2 (E,G,H,I)
4. Start by opening up Odin 3.07, and flashing MF9.tar (Make sure everything is unchecked but Auto Reboot)
5. Once flashed let the phone boot up and skip all the steps of setting up your phone. Then check to see if your baseband and firmeware is on MF9. If thats all okay completely shut down your phone.
6. Go back to Download Mode and to Odin. Then flash CF-Root (Make sure everything is unchecked but Auto Reboot)
7. Once its booted shut down and back to Download Mode and to Odin then flash MK2 Modem.tar (Make Sure Everything Is Unchecked) Once that is done Hold the power button for 10 seconds.
8. Boot up and check your baseband and firmeware in About Phone. Once everything is okay shut down the phone.
9. Boot your phone into Philz Recovery Mode then find and Install Stock MK2 Rom
10. Boot up the phone and skip all the steps setting up your phone, Do the lockscreen fix shut down your phone.
11. Go back to Odin and Flash NAE.Modem tar file (Make sure everything is unchecked) Hold the power button for 10 seconds
12. Reboot into Philz Recovery Do the wipe to do a Clean Install of Rom
13. Install Stock NAE Rom then Boot Up
14. Shut down and go back to recovery and install the SDCard Fix and Hotspot then Reboot

Then you can get Triangle Away and wipe your counter clean.

CatFood

May 13, 2013
This is what I did and it worked perfect several times without problems.

(Optional part if you want to reset custom ROM counter)

1. Odin flashed a full stock firmware (ROM and all) MF9 or below (I had MDL tar already so just used that)

2. CF-Root the installed rom.

3. Run Triangle Away to reset boot counter.

(Main part)

1. Odin flash TWRP recovery .tar and did a full wipe.

2. Odin flash Mf9 AIO .tar

3. Odin flash MK2 modem only .tar (NAE won't stick unless you do this first)

4. Odin flash NAE modem only .tar

5. Odin flash TWRP (You can use other recoveries for some other ROMS, but most NAE roms including Sacs Custom ROM and NAE stock rooted need TWRP to install properly or you get no cell. I haven't tried it on CWM, but know when I tried it wouldn't work on PhilZ Touch)

7. full data wipe using the recover for good measure (not necessary, it should be clear already)

6. Flash your ROM in recovery (I used stock rooted NAE)

8. Flash your add-ons, mobile hotspot, boot screen, kernel , etc. (I just flashed the odex mobile hotspot for NAE and a boot screen, left the kernel at stock because of a camera issue ktoonsez seemed to be presenting)

9. Reboot and enjoy.

(Note, only if using NAE stock rooted)
If your using the NAE stock rooted you will need and want to run and let the pre-installed supersu app disable Knox, then using an SE linux status changing app from the app store you will need to temporarily change your SE linux status. From there you can install the Xposed Framework and Wanam Xposed. In Wanam Xposed you can set the SE linux status so it wont reactivate after a reboot. Now you can uninstall the SE linux switcher you downloaded before. Next you can download an app that will do it, or manually fix the SD card write permissions. Finally using a root exploring file manager you can fix the permissions to make the lock screen work.

Last edited:

cherylbaker

Jan 21, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
This is what I did and it worked perfect several times without problems.

(Optional part if you want to reset custom ROM counter)

1. Odin flashed a full stock firmware (ROM and all) MF9 or below (I had MDL tar already so just used that)

2. CF-Root the installed rom.

3. Run Triangle Away to reset boot counter.

(Main part)

1. Odin flash TWRP recovery .tar and did a full wipe.

2. Odin flash Mf9 AIO .tar

3. Odin flash MK2 modem only .tar (NAE won't stick unless you do this first)

4. Odin flash NAE modem only .tar

5. Odin flash TWRP (You can use other recoveries for some other ROMS, but most NAE roms including Sacs Custom ROM and NAE stock rooted need TWRP to install properly or you get no cell. I haven't tried it on CWM, but know when I tried it wouldn't work on PhilZ Touch)

7. full data wipe using the recover for good measure (not necessary, it should be clear already)

6. Flash your ROM in recovery (I used stock rooted NAE)

8. Flash your add-ons, mobile hotspot, boot screen, kernel , etc. (I just flashed the odex mobile hotspot for NAE and a boot screen, left the kernel at stock because of a camera issue ktoonsez seemed to be presenting)

9. Reboot and enjoy.

(Note, only if using NAE stock rooted)
If your using the NAE stock rooted you will need and want to run and let the pre-installed supersu app disable Knox, then using an SE linux status changing app from the app store you will need to temporarily change your SE linux status. From there you can install the Xposed Framework and Wanam Xposed. In Wanam Xposed you can set the SE linux status so it wont reactivate after a reboot. Now you can uninstall the SE linux switcher you downloaded before. Next you can download an app that will do it, or manually fix the SD card write permissions. Finally using a root exploring file manager you can fix the permissions to make the lock screen work.

Thanks fir this. I flashed one modem than the next one right after and wifi fixed. Been working on this all day glad I found this thread

Cheryl