Google voice VoIP calls

Search This thread

RK

Feb 8, 2012
If you have a Google voice number like me, you are probably sad that all the third party apps that enabled VoIP using Google voice on android have stopped working. Like grooveip and talkatone.

Well here is a good news.. You can use VoIP calls from your android device. You need to do two things

1) Enable hangouts instead on talk in gmail.
2) Download opera browser (any browser that can fake a desktop UA might work. I use opera)

Now, change the user agent to desktop in opera browser and call using hangouts in gmail like you usually do on a PC and it works!!!

If you already knew this, good for you. I didn't and I just found out so I am sharing an option till Google releases full hangouts Google voice integration.

Enjoy!

EDIT: if you are logged in and opera is running in the background, you can even receive calls to your Google voice number!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ectoplasmic

Dec 4, 2011
Thanks, this works with Opera on my tablet. It doesn't work in Chrome, even with the "request desktop site" option checked. But I expected that, since I tried it a while ago. Not sure if Firefox would work, but I'll use Opera for this. Navigating the hangouts interface is clumsy to say the least, but it's nice to have the option.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Thanks for the tip, but as expected, Google has totally hosed the Voice app. You can no longer make calls over Wifi on android so its totally useless for that. The other functions of the app are clunky and difficult. Way to flush a good idea Google.

RK

Feb 8, 2012
Thanks for the tip, but as expected, Google has totally hosed the Voice app. You can no longer make calls over Wifi on android so its totally useless for that. The other functions of the app are clunky and difficult. Way to flush a good idea Google.

I am just patiently waiting for hangouts integration..

silverberet

Nov 11, 2010
does this still work?
i used to use it like two weeks ago on a Nexus 7 (2012), with Opera.
But then I broke my tablet and got a new Nexus 7 (2013).
Now it's asking me to download the hangouts plugin.

I gave up on phone and using Google Voice voip as my number.
This is really frustrating when I'm not in front of my PC.

:(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have a Google voice number like me, you are probably sad that all the third party apps that enabled VoIP using Google voice on android have stopped working. Like grooveip and talkatone.

Well here is a good news.. You can use VoIP calls from your android device. You need to do two things

1) Enable hangouts instead on talk in gmail.
    2) Download opera browser (any browser that can fake a desktop UA might work. I use opera)

Now, change the user agent to desktop in opera browser and call using hangouts in gmail like you usually do on a PC and it works!!!

If you already knew this, good for you. I didn't and I just found out so I am sharing an option till Google releases full hangouts Google voice integration.

Enjoy!

EDIT: if you are logged in and opera is running in the background, you can even receive calls to your Google voice number!!!